Well Hello and a couple of questions ;)

Accipiter
Accipiter Member Posts: 17
edited 1. Mar 2013, 09:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey there :)

First of all this is a great site with tons of info (me thinks too much info right now lol).

Had introduced myself in the "say hello" section briefly. So far I have had a good few years pain in my right shoulder that came and went regularly so I didnt pay much heat to it. Since about 6 - 8 weeks I'm in constant pain now with reduced movement.

X-Ray showed degenerative changes in my AC-Joint on the right side and I have also some calcified tendonitis. Will get an appointment for steroid injections soon and have an appointment with the physio on Monday. So far so "good" lol .. However since a few days my left shoulder is giving me trouble as well, not nearly as bad as the right one but still uncomfortable. I'm also just generally feel very tired lately, wrecked so to speak and I had put that down to not sleeping well the last few weeks due to the right shoulder. However I actually start wondering if there is a connection and if the general not feeling great (a bit like coming down with something) comes from the OA or if I should ask the GP for some RA "testing" - I had MRI done as well and that came back clear apart from the tendonitis.

I'm just a bit confused at the moment I guess ;) Any tips etc are greatly appreciated at this stage as I am totally new to all this.

Oh btw i'm 35 years young guy who had been physically rather active in the past (not so much the last few years - getting lazy I guess ;) )

Thanks a again :)

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Accipiter
    And a warm welcome from me
    If you are worried about RA I would certainly ask your GP for blood test, I was and still am tested for raised levels of something or others, which leans to RA...so at the min I still have OA in multiple joints...I also get the tiredness but this may be down to me having to stop going to the GYM, mind you I am 62 but always been fit.
    If there is one thing I have learned off this forum and that is to speak up for yourself and if you think any test should be done then you must ask for them.
    This arthritis is very complicated.... :?
    I do hope you get some answers very soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Accipiter
    Hey Barbara,

thanks very much - I will ask him tomorrow I think. Had actually an app for today but that was moved. Just find that a bit strange, now again it might just be because I have obviously been using the left side more especially lately but still the type of pain is very similar and that I just overall feel absolutely knackered at least makes me kind want to be sure, if that makes any sense ;)

-Markus
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Hi,

We can't really offer diagnosis, as Barbara says, speak to your GP and see what they suggest. I would add though that trying to compensate for a bad joint can cause other joints to become tired, can make you feel drained and dealing with constant pain can make you feel tired. Your body is working hard so it could be taking its toll, especially after such a long time and if the bad shoulder has become more inflamed. Your GP will be able to advise but it tends not to be GPs who diagnose inflammatory forms of arthritis like RA, that tends to be a job for a rheumatologist.

Good luck and let us know ow you go, LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Markus
    It dose make sense, I do think we all need some sort of label..I know that sound strange but just knowing what is going on is half the battle...at least we can get on with the treatment...
    Trouble is with OA its all about joint replacements and pain relief...if only they would come up.with something to stop this blinking thing spreading.
    I am waiting to get an injection in my shoulder...I have had quite a few in different places...the last one in my hand has been brilliant...touch wood..(my head)..its been around 3 months now and all is well..
    I do wish you well with everything...its very quiet on here at the min...maybe it will pick up later...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    A big welcome from me. And I have the same problem of always being so tired. I agree with LV, in respect of the pain takes it toll. And having to over work other muscles. Some days I just feel I want to stay in bed and sleep. Unfortunately, 2 teenage daughters stops that.

Get yourself checked for RA though. You never know how these things are going to go. Shall look forward to seeing you posting around the forum.
    Karen xx
  • Accipiter
    First of all thanks for all the posts :)

I agree LV, this isnt the right place to look for diagnosis and my apology if I had made the impression that I was looking for some. I think I'm just trying to understand and as all that is new to me its a bit like "ticking all the boxes" probably.

Barbara, I think you are right there, It's like i said, ticking the boxes and getting a label for everything so I can move on ;)

Constable, I hear you, I've got one daughter and 2 dogs ;)

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
  • Accipiter
    Well - GP appointment went alright today. Waiting to hear back when the appointment for the injections is going to be.

He has put me on NSAIDs now, not the greatest ones I guess from reading around (Neurofen + which is essentially Ibuprofen and codein) but hey I try anything if it helps with the pain LOL

Left shoulder is getting really soar now slowly which is peeing me off lol .. Had a chat with my granddad about something completely unrelated and found out that he has been suffering from RA since early childhood (and there you think after 35 years of knowing him I would have known lol) which is making me somewhat nervours lol ..

Lets see how the physio app goes on Monday - Wish you all a very happy and pain free weekend!

-Markus