Swollen Synovial Fluid Between Fingers, Early R.A???

Princessdwarbie
Princessdwarbie Member Posts: 15
edited 11. Mar 2013, 14:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

Im a newbie, 27yr old female with family history of rheumatoid arthritis and am currently under a rheumatologist who is running various tests to diagnose me also either with that or something else obviously having presented visible symptoms!

Ive presented, red knuckles, pain down the top of my right hand between the index and middle finger, painful left wrist, painful top of right foot and hip problems since havign symphysis pubis dysfunction in my last pregnancy!

My question is, and I know this is not a dignostics site I fully understand Im just after info from others who have experienced this:

My right hand where I get the pain down the top of my hand starting between my index and middle finger and shooting down to my wrist, the synovial fluid between those two knuckles is swollen in comparison to the left hand - no swelling at all - and when I gently press on the fluid I get an almighty pain in my middle finger knuckle!

One of the tests Im to undergo in a couple of weeks is an ultrasound of my hands, wrists and feet and so will they see this clearly and in your opinion is this something which may be the start of R.A?

Again Im just after general info and insight I know its only my rheumy that can diagnose! :lol:

TIA, Sarah x
Sarah 27yrs - Mum of 4 little monkeys
Getting married 24th May 2014
Undergoing tests/rheumy for diagnosis
Family history - Mum R.A, Nan R.A & Aunt had SLE Lupus

Comments

• constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there, I'm afraid I cant help you really as I have OA. But I just wanted to welcome you here. There are plenty of people on here who will be able to maybe help/advise.

They are a lovely bunch on here and will help/advise where they can. Or if you are having a bad day, we all will listen and hopefully make you feel a bit better knowing that we are all here to support each other.

See you around the forum.

ps. you have 4 monkey, I have 2 devils. He he.
    Karen xx
  • Princessdwarbie
    Hi Karen

Lovely to meet you and thank you for making me feel welcome!

I initially posted 27yr old newbie a few days ago and had some wonderful responses their too!

I guess I was just wondering if others had problems with this fluid Im sure Im not the only one!

Thanks again :)
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Dont worry, there will be someone along that will be able to put your mind to reast I know for sure.
    Karen xx
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    hi welcome to the forum , could be RA but hope not , your GP could do load of blood test but there is 200 types of arthritis & realy need rheumatologist to tell you if it is RA or something else

there is a help line above so call them
  • Princessdwarbie
    trepolpen wrote:
    hi welcome to the forum , could be RA but hope not , your GP could do load of blood test but there is 200 types of arthritis & realy need rheumatologist to tell you if it is RA or something else

Im under a rheumy, and had my first appt with them last Friday my Dr refferred me as I presented all the visible symptoms, redness, swelling, pain and my plasma viscosity test came back slightly raised at 1.75 (Normal range 1.5-1.72) and also have family history of R.A!

The rheumy ordered an ultrasound, CCP and two other blood tests which Im awaiting results for :?:
    I guess its something or nothing and will get an answer from the ultrasound or an aspiration.

Thanks Sarah
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Sarah
    And a warm welcome from me
    Sorry I wont be much help, but I have OA and get pain in my hand and into my wrist....I have quite a few lumps...but the swelling is mainly down my thumb...I couldn't tell you what the ultrasound will show up...I think with RA they look for fluid round the joints but even this isn't conclusive.... wish I could help more but I am glad you have joined us..please let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Princessdwarbie
    Thanks Barbara :P

Its just that stage where I know something is happening, the dr knows something is happening and so does the rheumy but what is anyone's guess lol

Im sure I'll get there in the end :lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi princess
    I do think this is the worse part of any illness the wondering and worrying....when you start the treatment..you will have something to focus on....I do wish you well with it all xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • rachelann
    rachelann Member Posts: 1
    constable wrote:
    Hi there, I'm afraid I cant help you really as I have OA. But I just wanted to welcome you here. There are plenty of people on here who will be able to maybe help/advise.

They are a lovely bunch on here and will help/advise where they can. Or if you are having a bad day, we all will listen and hopefully make you feel a bit better knowing that we are all here to support each other.

See you around the forum.

ps. you have 4 monkey, I have 2 devils. He he.

im new too today actually from uk 30 on saturday i was dignosed with sero postive rheumatoid arthtis ra im sorry to say thats how mine started last year and with me a terrible burning pain to the foot and numb middle toes on that same foot i ignored it for ages it turns out its ra ive had completely frozen wrists and palm and finger joints lasted a week longest its slightly calmed at the moment aches and pains daily but manageable noton any ra meds as of yet back to spealist in 3 weeks for those work arnt happy too i do dinnerlading 1 and half hrs a day nothing i know but when i have flare ups i cant do nowt i go in with pains everyday they dont see that do they nooo. hope u dont have ra but sounds very simiular tome hun.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello rachelann. It's nice to meet you and I hope we can be of help. I have RA too. I hope, when you see your consultant, you'll get on some disease modifying meds which will help you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright