Update dr's visit/physio

MUM1
MUM1 Member Posts: 79
edited 20. May 2013, 17:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had been refered for physio due to hip pain in december that has settled down a bit but pysio ongoing as was given wrist splints for carpal tunnel but was also getting fairly bad pain in joints and at wrist area so phsio said to go back and see dr. I have to go and get some more bloods done as last had them done about 2 years ago also mentioned to dr about psoriasis I had from age of 10 up until mid 20's when had throat infection and allergy to amoxcillin causing bad flare up of psoriasis leading to being prescribed polytar and bath emolient(can't remember what it was but in a blue bottle) and also short periods of time on a friends sun bed meant that I no longer had any physical signs of psoriasis anymore. Dr saiys I can stilltake cocodamol and diclofenac for now till bloods come back she says they are to test for rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes something to do with thyroid and specific arthritis with having had psoriasis amongst other things blood to be tested for and then to go back and see her after they come back she also says it looks likley I will be having op for carpal tunnel.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That sounds like a good, thorough appointment :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello MUM1
    Its good when they do all the test in one go, why all GPS cant do this is beyond me....I do hope you get some answers...sometimes its the not knowing .xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • MUM1
    Thanks for your replies stickywicket and barbera12 hope you are both keeping as well and sorry for taking so long to post back. After visit to dr's wasnt feeling on top form since monday a bit tired and sore as had a couple of errands to do before dr's but with only a 10 minute walk to dr's legs have been a bit achey (like shin splints) have also had council in doing some work so had to clear up after them as well as usual housework and work. Not sure if OH was too happy when I told him about outcome of dr's visit he said not to go looking for things that aren't there anyways it was gp who suggested more blood tests even though I said I had some done by her 2 years ago, she just said that it had beena while and things can change.
  • stickywicket
    I’m with your OH up to a point. I think it’s useless to actually worry about ‘things that aren’t there’ but, if the GP wants to check, they don’t do these things for fun and she’s right – things can change. Having tests never gave anyone anything but it can enable you to deal with stuff at the earliest opportunity and so avoid worse things happening.
    Steven Wright
  • MUM1
    I do see where you and my oh are coming from stickywicket. I would love to have gone back to work full time and had thought maybe I might have been able to manage after my op last august but it seems as that might not be a possibility now as things haven't gone as well as I thought they might or maybe it was just wishful thinking, however I am still at least working part time. Physio said she wished she could just go into her cupboard and get me a new body .....if only eh :D
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi there

I am so glad you are having the tests. My husband is teh same - 'if you don't think it it won't happen' is his motto :wink:

I hope that whatever happens you will get some help anyway.

The op for your carpal tunnel should at least put that one right at any rate :)

Take care

love

Toni xxx
  • MUM1
    Had my dr's visit today(different dr from one who wanted bloods done) to get results of blood test that were done rheumatoid arthritis not back yet and all were fine apart from liver function she said it was a little high though not dangerously so she wants me to have a scan done to be on the safe side. I salso got a letter through from hospital to be added to plastic surgery waiting list for carpal tunnel. Dr I seen today said they might do injection dr who refered me seems to think I will need surgery. Got a bit upset on saturday due to the fact that I was having real difficulties when doing the veg for a pot of soup was getting a bit of pain whilst peeling, chopping and whilst grating carrot had barley any feeling in my hands at all(it wasn't the pain that had me crying but sheer frustration) explained this to dr today but not sure if she took it on board.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I use a palm peeler on my bad days, on the very bad things don't get peeled (which is OK if you're not doing a salad!) If things need grating etc then I use the food processor or if that's too fiddly then my hand-held blender which has a chopping function - that's not ideal from the presentation point of view but, as I point out to my husband, food hardly stays neat and tidy in the tummy. :wink: You will find ways round things in time.

Your GP sounds as though he/she is being throrough and that is a good thing. The early stages of this malarkey can be bothersome and time-consuming for us but necessary. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • MUM1
    I never thought of that dreamdaisy thank you for the tips :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I also find a swing-blade peeler much easier than a fixed-blade: carrots and parsnips etc are so easy to do by pointing the veg into the sink and running the blade away from you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • MUM1
    Called surgery today as hadn't had results back for bloods for RA(done before easter) amongst others including liver function, anemia etc. The RA was negative but gp said liver one was a bit high so have now had letter from hospital to go for scan mid april. For my OA I have been prescribed 3x50mg diclofenac daily and also 1 or 2 30/500mg co-codamol 4 times daily. I try to get by on just 2 diclofenac and 4 co-codamol a day and try to take a break from them at weekends but by sunday am quite sore . I take my first dose of diclofenac and co-codamol at 5am as I leave for work just before 6am my bus journey takes an hour which can be a trial at times as my my back and knees are stiff and achey. If I need to I then top up with the other co-codamol when I arrive at work (i work 4 hours as a cleaner). I am also stiff and a bit sore when I get out of bed in the morning and my hands can be painful and swollen due to carpal tunnel. I have had wrist splints for this which didn't help so I have been refered and now on outpatients plastic surgery list to see what can be done. I have now been on stronger co-codamol since december as I was having quite bad hip pain which has eased since then although not gone.I had found with my OA that when spring came the pain eased significantly so only had to take paracetamol and diclofenac or 8/500mg co-codamol, but things don't seem to be going that way this year so far. I had major abdominal surgery last august which both gp and physio think is playing a part in joints being more stiff and painful than usual....will it come right or is this how it will be from now on I wonder.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Mum1
    I was wondering how you had got on with the test,I always dread these blood test because you can guarantee that one of them will be high .
    Mine was my kidneys this time, have they tried injections in your hand, I dont have carpel but I have arhtur in my hands and the injections have worked really well.
    I am glad the hip pain has eased, its nice to have a break from it..hopefully the plastic surgeon will be able to help...let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • MUM1
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hello Mum1
    I was wondering how you had got on with the test,I always dread these blood test because you can guarantee that one of them will be high .
    Mine was my kidneys this time, have they tried injections in your hand, I dont have carpel but I have arhtur in my hands and the injections have worked really well.
    I am glad the hip pain has eased, its nice to have a break from it..hopefully the plastic surgeon will be able to help...let us know how you get on xx
    Hi Barbera hope you are well. The gp who refered me had said they will probably do surgry but the gp who gave me the results of the bloods had said they might give me injections, who knows I guess I will have to wait and see. I haven't had appointment from hospital yet and cant come fast enough as Ihad been telling dreamdaisy that it was getting troublesome to prepare veg, anything that is fiddly ie sewing fastening buttons or anything that requires grip can be painful as well as the tingling and numbness. Am still wearing gloves even on the bus journey to work and fingers can be so cold painful and numb I sometimes even tuck them under the hem off my jacket to make the pain go.
  • MUM1
    Finally had my appointment with hand doctor on Saturday, not for osteoarthritis but for carpal tunnel. He had a look at my hands asked some questions but didn't do the shock tests. He said I am pretty certain you have carpal tunnel and then started to talk about surgery I had said that I had been off work for 3 months last year for a hysterectomy he then said we could try injections into my wrists "to see how we go", he done them there and then, the usual scratch of the needle I can live with but found the injections themselves quite painful, he said the carpal tunnel was quite severe and that the nerves were badly trapped (both hands). I was also having pain in the joints of my fingers and at the base of my thumb where it meets the wrist, can carpal tunnel cause this or does this mean now that the OA has spread to my hands. I have noticed a bit of an improvement in the carpal tunnel but still having pain in joints. I have to go back in 3 months time to see him.
  • stickywicket
    I'm sorry I can't answer your question, Mum1 as I don't have carpal tunnel problems. I think you're more likely to get answers if you start a new thread as it's not obvious, from
    The title of this one, that you want carpal tunnel info.
    Steven Wright