advice please to a new girl

lakedistrictgardener
lakedistrictgardener Member Posts: 9
edited 19. Mar 2013, 11:30 in Say Hello Archive
Hi

I have just joined this site. I am 64 and am going to have a TKR on 15th March. Two years ago I was climbing mountains and doing long distance walks. This has all happened to me so quickly. I wondered if anyone had experience and advce on how, if possible, to get back to full fitness. I dont want to do high impact sports, I have got used to not being able to run or ski. I would dearly like to get back in the hills.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope the forum can be a source of information and support. There is a thread on the Living with Arthritis part of the forum (started by Bary2013) he was recently given a new knee and is keen to get back to riding his bike. Babytiger has just had a revision and EBK was given a new knee last October/November time. I wish you well and please keep in touch. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi and welcome from me too. I've had a couple of TKRs - well, 3 counting the revision :wink: - but mine is RA and, as a result, 'full fitness' is not a term I'm familiar with :lol: However, you've got some good advice there from dreamdaisy. The three people she mentions have all recently got back (or, in babytiger's case, are getting back) to amazing levels of fitness. I wish you well for your op.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hello to you Lakedistrict gardener!

Lovely to meet youa nd welcome you to our forums.

It might be that you get a chance to go to a knee-clinic before your op. Some folks have been and been given pre-op help to help post-op see Helenbothknees' threads for advice.

Myself I would try swimming gently to keep those msucles used as much as poss....but not breast stroke I think that twists your knees :? and of course walking as slow as you need. If you are really suffering and none of these are possible for you on the main A/C pages you can find Range of movement exercises

Love

Toni xxx
  • gt43
    gt43 Member Posts: 14
    Hi - nice to meet you, as I'm relatively new too :D

... interesting thread, this, as although I'm finding the sudden changes in my feet particularly hard to cope with, and how when your feet don't work right, how quickly knees follow suit ... I used to do a lot of gym and stuff before I got Graves disease, but that was quite a while back ... I'd managed to hold on to my walking, though, and this new development just doesn't feel like "me" !

Encouraging to hear that there might be light somewhere at the end of the tunnel, though.

Carole
  • lakedistrictgardener
    Thanks guys, I am really enjoying the site, and all the advice. Going in for my RTKR tomorrow. The physio in the hospital at my pre op was hopeless. He kept saying not to do more than two sets of exercise a day as it might loosen the joint!! I have since spoken to my surgeon who says this is not true, and to do as much as I feel able. I feel as if I should set myself goals, but I am not sure if this would be counter productive. I wanted to be the grandparent that took my grandchildren camping and hill walking so that is my goal for next year. Skiddaw before the end of the summer is the goal for this year. To be possitive and concientious about dalily exercises my day to day goal. See you next week.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    The best of luck with the op though I hope 'luck' won't come into it. Physios are usually excellent but there's always the odd one. I must have seen about 20-30 physios in my time and I've had one bad one. The rest were great. I've always been told to aim for 10 repetitions of each exercise around 6 times a day post op but to rest and elevate the leg in between. You need to ensure you don't scupper the new joint by either doing too much or too little.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lakedistrictgardener
    Hi Had my op on 14th March and all went well. You were right, the physio help I had in hospital was great, really constructive. I was in Carlisle and the care was excellent in every way. I am doing 10 reps about 4/5 times a day, and walking round the house lots. Thanks for directing me to Barry 2013 as he is just a month ahead of me, his experiences are very helpful. The ice pack is wonderful, my prize for completing the set of exercises!
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi

Glad to see your op went well and you got some good advice and great care, repost this on LWA as not too many people come on here, I'm sure there are quite a few would like to send there good wishes and advice................tc...............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • lakedistrictgardener
    Hi Marie, sorry LWA?
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sorry, Living with Arthritis, I forget and do shorthand all the time less typing for arthritic fingers :lol: ...................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles