Trapeziectomy

villier
villier Member Posts: 4,426
edited 24. Nov 2013, 14:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well it was interesting, saw surgeon today for my follow up after my finger fusion, she looked she checked she examined and observed my swollen thumb which was on fire at the time :? pulled it here :shock: pulled it there :? and before I new it I had a steroid injection stuck into the base of my thumb :| thank goodness got high pain threshold, although doesn't seem to be doing much so far, she is talking about taking bone out at base of thumb then I can't rememeber what she said :shock: can anyone HELP!! what is going to happen next :roll: ...................Marie xx
Smile a while and while you smile
smile another smile and soon there
will be miles and miles of smiles
just because you smiled I wish your
day is full of Smiles

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Marie, that's just what you need!!! more surgery!!!
    I'm sorry I can't help, except to say rest your thumb, to get the most from the steroid jab.
    Thinking of you,
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I've no idea, Marie but it all sounds very painful. I do hope the injection works. Please do as Nurse Numpty says :wink: She's right, you know. I do hope someone can come along with some helpful advice. Please keep us in the loop. (())
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    Thanks Nurse Numpty and side kick SW I have been given some splints to use until I see the surgeon at my next app, oooow just cant remember what she said after brain went into melt down so frustrating, but hey ho, will survive(golria gaynor) :lol: xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    I don't know either, but just wanted to lend my support. Keep that thumb rested and I hope the steroid helps.
  • stickywicket
    I'd forgotten (it was late :roll: ) about your finger fusion. I wonder if there's a connection. I usually flare a bit after an op. (Not that that's of any help to you :lol: )
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I googled it to find out ;) I have been hearing a lot about the "snuff box" area in the wrist etc in the past few days as I tripped over a hoover on Tuesday and have my hand in a splint now because it is thought I may have a scaphoid fracture. Nothing showed on the 4 xrays but often does not. So back in 10 days for more xrays. Boy, it hurts though! Having arthritis in my thumb joint has made it more difficult for them to diagnose too.

http://www.pncl.co.uk/~belcher/information/Trapeziectomy.pdf

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • villier
    Thanks for the link Elna..................Oooooh that sounds very sore as you say as if it's not bad enough with the arthritis, hope nothings broken..........tc........let us know how you get on Elna xx

Sticky I think it is just good ol arthur decicding that he hasn't been out to play for a while :roll: xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Marie the steroid injections in my thumb worked really well for me...its around 4- 5.months now..and just wearing off....when I go back they will look at my index finger...that is swelled now...I do wish you well with it....xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • premierscfc04
    premierscfc04 Member Posts: 57
    I had a Trapeziectomy on my right thumb which had been injected with steriods multiple times over three years, which gave only limited short term relief.
    Since having the trapezium bone removed my right thumb has given me no pain at the base.
    I hope this helps you..
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Don't you hate that 'I'm listening really carefully but my brain is not absorbing anything' moment that always comes when they start getting to the important bit! Big hugs to you and your sore thumb, Premier's post sounds like they might have an answer for you. Hope the steroid is kicking in nicely. Love LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • villier
    barbara12 wrote:
    Marie the steroid injections in my thumb worked really well for me...its around 4- 5.months now..and just wearing off....when I go back they will look at my index finger...that is swelled now...I do wish you well with it....xx

Thanks Barbara, when I got up this morning I thought great that has really helped the pain but I'm afrsaid as the day has gone on it has become quite painful again even with the splint on, what are they going to do with your index finger? xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    Unsure wrote:
    Ouch, injections in the small joints are not nice.

Both of my thumbs are painful at the moment and recently discovered a nodule on the left one.

Is it a hard nodule sort of deforming the thumb Unsure? my sympathies to you
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    I had a Trapeziectomy on my right thumb which had been injected with steriods multiple times over three years, which gave only limited short term relief.
    Since having the trapezium bone removed my right thumb has given me no pain at the base.
    I hope this helps you..

Thanks premier don't know how long she plans to try the ingections for, I thought it had worked but I'm afraid it hasn't I will keep using the splints on and off till I go back to see her, glad yours worked for you xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • villier
    Don't you hate that 'I'm listening really carefully but my brain is not absorbing anything' moment that always comes when they start getting to the important bit! Big hugs to you and your sore thumb, Premier's post sounds like they might have an answer for you. Hope the steroid is kicking in nicely. Love LV xx

Thanks LV I'm afraid it has kicked in and kicked back out again :lol: I was fine until she mentioned an op thats when I freaked :shock: hope you and the two wee bundles are doing ok xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Oh Marie, I'm sorry about that. Steroids are so hit and miss. I can only suggest you immobilise the thumb any which way you can. (())
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    Oh Marie, I'm sorry about that. Steroids are so hit and miss. I can only suggest you immobilise the thumb any which way you can. (())

Thanks Sticky, I was given splints at the hospital have one on just now will use them when I am doing anything i.e. housework or the likes, I have had steroid injections in my elbow before and they worked a treat don't know why this one hasn't, ah well whats a bit of pain to keep you on your toes :lol: xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • Michelle63
    Michelle63 Member Posts: 63
    I have recently seen the orthopaedic consultant and a trapeziectomy is imminent. It was all explained in great detail and I even have to go to the hand therapy clinic prior to the surgery to see what happens post op. Feeling quite positive, may even go for the regional block rather than a GA. One tip for anyone in this situation.......don't "You Tube"the operation......bad move on my part!!! Already prepped the hubby and the kids re housework duties, just waiting on a date. Was quoted about 6 to 8 weeks time which should hopefully fit in nicely with my planned ski trip next February. On the down side, my left thumb is going the same way and I had terrible trouble trying on a very tight sports bra......I couldn't lift my arm high and straight enough to take it off, couldn't grip it tight either to pull upwards. I almost had to call my husband in to help, it was quite funny at the time although it just reminded me how much my arthritis is beginning to impact on everyday things.
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Do hope the pain settles down for you soon. Just rest it as much as you can. Beryl. (((()))) x
  • villier
    Hi Michelle

My sympathies I know exactly how you feel, I also have neuropathy in hands as well and quite a few other places, it 'aint a barrel 'o fun. I was back at the hand clinic last week and got more steroids into my thumb which has done nothing yet again, I have to see the surgeon again in three months I don't know how long she is going to try the steroids for. Good luck with the op give us a shout if you need pocket duties keep us up to speed how you are doing..............tc.....................Marie xx
    day is full of Smiles
  • Michelle63
    Date for trapeziectomy Friday 6th September. I know I am going to be incapacitated for the first 2 weeks due to the cast and stitches. Any thoughts on how long before I should be able to return to work? I know that driving with a splint is illegal but I could catch a bus. I am a teaching assistant in a secondary school. I have an appointment with the OT department next week so should know a bit more but it would be useful to hear other people's experiences. Thanks in advance.
  • Michelle63
    Trapeziectomy done and dusted last Friday. I had it done with a regional block.....wow what a strange experience that was, chatted through the whole operation with the doctors. Large cast and dressing on until next week, then splint. Thankfully dissolvable stitches, I hate having stitches taken out. Very painful when the block wore off and the Ibuprofen seems to be disagreeing with my stomach which is a pain, managed not to take the oramorph. Today pain intermittently but not unbearable. Being a good patient and doing my finger exercises and arm raises. I was a little bit shocked to be signed off work for 6 weeks initially!!! Hopefully I won't need that long, there is only so much rubbish one can watch on television. :D
  • villier
    Hi Michelle was just thinking about you the other day and wondering if you had had the trapeziectomy, I am glad it all went well and you sound like you are being very sensible. I don't know if I could do it with the regional block I think I would have to be out of it, did they do it as day surgery? I think I will be next as the steroids are doing nothing for me. Keep up the good work hope you have a speedy recovery...............tc...........Marie x
    day is full of Smiles
  • premierscfc04
    premierscfc04 Member Posts: 57
    Glad the op went well! :)
    I've found that the thumb has been pain since it healed and I would definately have the left hand done if/when it is needed.
  • stickywicket
    I read this post with a mixture of pleasure :D (that it was all over) and embarassment :oops: (that I'd managed to miss your previous one before you went in). Assuming I'm forgiven :) I'm so pleased all seems to have gone well and I'm sure your positive attitude will help with the healing process.

Well done on holding off on the oromorph. Always take the ibuprofen with food to minimise stomach problems and, if you need them regularly, maybe ask for a stomach protector.

Yes, do the exercises as advised but don't overdo things and don't rush back to work too early or you might mess things up. At home it's probably possible to avoid the stuff you shouldn't be doing but it might be harder at work.

I remember well the post-op daytime TV. Rubbish innit? :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • Michelle63
    Yep, 'twas day surgery. In at 7.15, pre op paracetamol and second on the list. The regional block was brilliant, I opted for no sedation ( ex nurse) wanted to know what was going on, I would have liked to have watched but sadly not possible. Took about 45 minutes for the block to take full effect. I discovered after that I was the doctors second ever block......the chap before me being his first. He did a good job. The op itself was also a relative newbie under instruction from the consultant, I didn't hear any negative comments so presume all was well. The recovery is so much faster than having a GA although experiencing a hammer and chisel whilst awake is a bit weird. I saw the physio and home by 3 pm ( I live quite a way away and my husband had to finish his weightlifting set before he could leave lol ) The only downside so far is realising how bad my left hand actually is now I am using it more and my left shoulder is grinding and clicking too. Ah well, must go, darling son has made tea, thank you for all your concerns. :D