Pillow Lifter

Numptydumpty
Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
edited 16. May 2013, 14:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone tried one of these, if so, how do you get on with it?
The OT, first sent me a back rest, to help with sitting up in bed. I didn't expect this to work, and it didn't :roll: I am a side sleeper, and couldn't sleep sitting up.
Next she sent me a mattress elevator, which the chap who came to install it, said was unsuitable for my bed and my mattress. It's a new mattress, only two months old, and lovely, :D so no chance of changing that.
Yesterday, a pillow lifter arrived. I got no sleep at all last night. I found the foam part you lay on, much too thick and soft, and I was so hot! Also it was too high with my usual two pillow arrangement, so I just used one.
Am I just being "The Princess and the Pea" or do other people find them uncomfortable?
It works very well, lifting me to a sitting position. I will try it again tonight, and hopefully, in time I'll get used to it :wink:
Numpty

Comments

• wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi numpty ,i couldnt sleep on my back either unless i was sedated !!, im thinking maybe you are a princess ,i am like you have slept in the same position all my life, on my side with the pillow under my leg its hard to do change no matter what ,ive never heard of the pillow you are saying are you meaning the wedge thing that goes under the pillows ???? ,if thats the one, im with you i wouldnt be able to sleep with it at all ,anyway hope everything works out soon good luck and have a nice sleep your highness !
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,403
    Is it made by mangar??

If so I haven'y used one but have helped other peopel use them in a past life :wink:

I would think whatever change will take some getting used to so I would give it another night or two and then if it's no good....back to the drawing board :?

Love

Toni xxx
  • Numptydumpty
    It's an "Ultimate Caspian" metal frame with a plastic covered foam mattress, which tapers at the bottom. My pillow sits on top of it, the mattress tapers out at around my knees. It works electronically, similarly to a mattress elevator, but just lifting the pillow area.
    I didn't sleep again last night, the foam under my body is just too soft for me. In spite of covering it with a sheet, the plastic and foam made me so hot!
    I'm now suffering a lot of pain in my neck, shoulder, collar bone and sternum. :cry: I think due to the difference in pillow height and angle.
    Oh well, I'll try it again tonight, who needs sleep anyway? :lol:
    Numpty
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    thats a shame numpty ,i havent seen or heard of this pillow lifter ,think your needing a fan on all night because your too hot ,nothing worse than too hot ,at least you can heat up if you are cold ,id hate a soft bed as well ,hope you get used to it all soon and get a good nights sleep as well ....
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    i know you can lift your matress up by putting pillows under it,
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Sorry you are having so many problems with pillows mattresses etc. And I am the same...cannot sleep on my back, have to sleep on my side/tummy, hips don't like being layed on directly.

We have invested in a memory foam mattress and just got memory foam pillows. Where I usually have two pillows, I have gone down to one and I am getting used to it now.

I really do hope they can sort out your sleeping, you cant go on like this. Fingers crossed that you get a better night tonight.
    Karen xx
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Good morning....I have also bought a memory foam mattress topper and also a memory foam standard shape pillow. I used to sleep on 2 sometimes 3 pillows but now I only sleep on the memory foam one. I always thought that the wedge pillows were designed for back sleepers, which I cannot do, although I did try one a few years ago and did not get on with it, gave be a neck ache. I am sleeping much better with the memory foam so hope it continues. Good luck to all
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I'm with you as well....cant sleep on my back. Spent 6 weeks after hip replacement not sleeping at all when I had to be on my back.
    I've tried a memory foam pillow but couldnt get away with it at all...too hard.
    Sorry I've never come across the one you are talking about
    Love
    hilena
  • Numptydumpty
    Thanks for the replies.
    The last few nights, have again been dreadful. I think I've given it a good enough go. I'm going to ring them on Tuesday, and ask them to take it back. It's just not for me. I'd rather struggle getting up, than not have any sleep :lol:
    Hopefully, tonight I'll sleep. :D
    Thank you all for your support,
    Numpty
  • Numptydumpty
    Hi, it was the back rest which I first tried, that I had to sleep sitting up and on my back with. The pillow lifter, is just like a small mattress which sits on top of your ordinary mattress. It has a metal frame, and lifts electronically, at the touch of a button. It's to help you get into a sitting position, from laying down. You can still sleep on your side with it. My problem was, it's slightly raised, too soft, and incredibly hot. I just couldn't get comfortable. Like I said, I'm "the Princess and the pea". :lol:
    I slept much better last night, without it.
    Numpty
  • Mat48
    Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
    Hi Numpty - I'm a fellow princess and pea woman! I have slept with a tempur pillow and also a soft normal pillow for the past few years now. I use the soft pillow to raise myself up sometimes but mostly it goes under my knee and it's light so if I turn I usually drag it with me to the other side. I can't sleep on my back at all either.

The thing I observe is that my hands get pretty swollen with it because I tend to put them under the tempur pillow when I'm asleep and the weight of the pillow seems to make my knuckles very raised and puffy so by morning I struggle to bend my fingers and wrists for a while. Apart from that though I like the fact that it molds to my head and that I only need one pillow at night now and it's like a soft putty rock. It isn't a lifter though but it's original tempur (it was expensive!) and I think it may not be as sweaty as the cheaper memory foam? Matx

PS also have a very expensive memory foam mattress which I wouldn't be without for all the tea in China now!
    If you get lemons, make lemonade
  • Numptydumpty
    Great news Unsure :D
    I hope you get on well with it, can't see why you shouldn't, they look really good.
    Please let us know how it goes.
    Numpty
  • Numptydumpty
    That's good. I wouldn't sleep with something buzzing either.
    Hope you have a good night and find it helpful on rising.
    Numpty