Jaw Replacement Surgery

sanmar63
sanmar63 Member Posts: 117
edited 30. Mar 2013, 15:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

As my Jaw is almost fused and my mouth only opens approx 2cms, I am now thinking of Jaw Replacement.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of the surgery, and what it entails (before, during and afterwards)? :?:

I don't particularly fancy this op, but I tbh, I'm so sick of struggling to eat, chew etc, I can't see any other way around it.
I have to use a childs fork, and a dental visit is a nightmare!! :cry:

Any information anyone can pass on, would be wonderful. :)

Thankyou all in advance, Sandra xxx

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi,I'm sorry to read that you are struggling so much,I can't imagine what it's like for you,I hope you can find some answers on here.hugs(((()))) Mig
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    Sorry I have no advice about this, but it sounds dreadful. Good luck, I hope the op goes well for you.

Suzanne
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Sandra

Did you watch embarrassing bodies this week? There was a girl on there who had jaw replacement surgery as she couldn't eat, brush her teeth or even speak sometimes...The surgeon did tell her as they go near a nerve during surgery there is a risk that partial paralysis can occur afterwards and this girl did have some drooping after but she was glad she had had surgery as it meant she could be more outgoing and the paralysis would lessen in time...
    Why not watch it again on the i-player decide for yourself?

Elainexx
    sanmar63 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

As my Jaw is almost fused and my mouth only opens approx 2cms, I am now thinking of Jaw Replacement.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of the surgery, and what it entails (before, during and afterwards)? :?:

I don't particularly fancy this op, but I tbh, I'm so sick of struggling to eat, chew etc, I can't see any other way around it.
    I have to use a childs fork, and a dental visit is a nightmare!! :cry:

Any information anyone can pass on, would be wonderful. :)

Thankyou all in advance, Sandra xxx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi Sandra

I saw the same programe as Elaine and the girl looked remarkedly well after her op, as suggested watch on i-player, lets us know how you go.............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles