Hello, please help...need support...feeling low...

gemmarh100
gemmarh100 Member Posts: 73
edited 1. Apr 2013, 11:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I am new to the site....22yo female. I have been referred to a rheumatologist recently and waiting for my appointment now. Just asking anyone to give me any support or advice as I am feeling pretty low at the moment...and the thought of having arthritis scares me.

Symptoms - Painful finger joints, a little stiff
- Weird hard lumps on my toes
- Very painful under toe joints to walk often
- Recent knee pain, when still or mobile
- Tiredness most of the time
- Occasional tendonitis in wrists
- General aching and some shooting pains in feet and wrists

Anyone who can make me feel a bit more positive......thank you, Gemma x

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello gemma and a warm welcome from me....
    When you go and see your rheumy make a list of anything you can think of...ie some of the questions are hair loss, rashes, swelling , pain,etc...and a list of questions you might have...
    At least when you have a diagnosis you will know what you are up against and we can take it from there..we do all like to support one another on the forum so you wont feel alone...please let us know how you get on xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Hi Gemma, and welcome to the forum.
    I can understand you being worried about having arthritis, it's not a bundle of laughs :roll: If you start treatment early, the less chance of damage being done, and there are a lot of different meds out there, hopefully you'll quickly find the right ones for you.
    It is by no means the end of the world, lots of people on this forum, have had arthritis from a very young age, and still live a full and happy life, although perhaps a little different :wink:
    Barbara has given some good advice. It's a good idea to keep a diary, to show to your Rheumy, so he can see what your symptoms are like, on a day to day basis.
    I wish you the very best of luck, and we are always herefor you, with help and support.
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,095
    Hi Gemma, sorry you're having a nasty time with things, as the others have said there are a lot of treatments that can help so I hope you have a good consultation with the rheumatologist and they can help you feel more positive & reassured, tell us how you get on. How soon is your appointment?
  • gemmarh100
    gemmarh100 Member Posts: 73
    Hi guys, thanx for being so supportive and posting replies. It's nice to hear other peoples stories and that I'm not the only one. I know I will get help soon, my rheumy app is on the 22nd April....

What happens on the first app? Generally? My mum is going with me but unsure of what happens. And also, a list of symptoms is a good idea, but sometimes it seems like the pain/stiffness is everywhere and moves around to different parts....so a bit hard to do that everyday...??

I do feel a bit more positive today :) Gemma x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Gemma,
    Yes make notes every day, I know this seems excessive but it really does help the consultant. Your first appointment: - in general you will be asked about your medical history, they usually ask about any family history of arthritis. You will need a full list of your medications including herbal. They will do a full examination of all your joints from toes to head. ( You will be in your underwear for this). In my area I was sent for x-rays..i.e. chest, feet and hands. They use these as a base line for future monitoring. Probably a blood and water tests too.
    Glad you will have your mum with you as there is a lot to take in on the first visit. Good luck with it all and let us know how you get on.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    It's been so long since my first appointment, I'm struggling to remember :oops:
    I think they took bloods, did x-rays, examined joints and asked a lot of questions.
    It's a good idea to take someone with you, especially if like me, you listen, but don't really take in, what you're being told :lol:
    If your pain/stiffness moves all over, and is different from day to day, that's what you must tell your Rheumy. Just be honest, he can't help unless you tell him how things are.
    It really is nothing to worry about. :wink:
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • wynnie
    wynnie Member Posts: 117
    hi gemma ,its a scary thing arthritis but as people are already saying the quicker your on meds the better ,it helps to stop damage and hopefully fully controls it ,dont be put off by the scarey stuff you read here ,some of us have many other illnesses on top of arthritis and have had it for many years ,i remember when i first got it and saw people in waiting rooms lots older than me and i used to think ,oh my god is that what i will be like ,but they didnt have the same oppourtunities that you now have or me for that matter and thats why they arent so good now ,anyway it might take you a while to get the right meds for you but when you do hopefully you will get back your quality of life and be able to enjoy being young ,will hear how you get on after your appointment x