Hello everyone

PaulaJ
PaulaJ Member Posts: 10
edited 3. Apr 2013, 17:18 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, my name is Paula and I'm new to this forum. I am 42 years old and have recently been diagnosed with arthritis in my thumbs :( . I was recommended to this forum by a lovely lady on the Facebook page, for support and to talk to people who are going through the same thing.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help. I have two forms of arthritis with 39 affected joints, so far however my thumbs are OK (that probably won't last tho. :wink: ) Quite a few on here find that keeping their hands warm helps, as does soaking them in a bowl of warm water first thing to help get things moving. Many swear by hot wax treatments too but I have never tried. If youy post again on the Living with Arthritis part of the forum you will probably garner more replies as more people look in on that bit. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Paula and a warm welcome to the forum
    Like you I have OA in my thumbs one worse than the other..I had injections in them around 5 months ago..and it has been brilliant....just wearing off now but I am due to see him again.
    You will find lots of info on here and of course support x
    Love
    Barbara
  • PaulaJ
    PaulaJ Member Posts: 10
    Hi Barbara and DD, thank you so much for your lovely posts. They have really helped. I find heat helps too as I have heat beanbags which I heat up regularly in the microwave. I am still trying different treatment options and I'm sure I am Amazon's best customer at the moment! Tiger Balm helps at times, but hasnt helped during the flare up I have had for the last few days.

I did have steriod injections when I was first diagnosed which helped in one thumb for a few weeks but did nothing for the other thumb. These were not ultrasound guided steriod injections and the orthopaedic consultant I saw said these may be repeated but under ultrasound guidance to obtain a better effect into the correct area.

I hope you are both feeling well at the moment and I look forward to speaking to you again soon.

Best wishes

Paula