gardening advice plz

coco67
coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
edited 15. Apr 2013, 18:09 in Community Chit-chat archive
I cant find the gardening thread so have started this one.

I would love to grow some of my own veg in containers and was wondering if anyone had some ideas and advice for this first time numpty lol,

i quiet fancy carrots but have no ides where to start lol

Comments

• charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    firstly, having arthritis I can recommend you get a garden kneeler.

I had mine out of my Nan's 50 plus catalogue. I paid about £25 and its great, you can kneel on it and it has strong bars either side to pull yourself up. Flip it over and its a seat.

Carrots are easy to grow, you just sow them in a line, when they come up pull some out to thin them out to give them room to grow. make sure you get some that are suitable for pots though. a small variety. it should say on the pack. I can recommend wilko's if you have one near to you, their seeds are cheap and good quality.

Runner beans are good for pots too if they are deep enough.

Ive had fruit bushes in pots for a few years now, I only got them cheap, from a pound shop and I have had lovely jam off them. Redcurrent, blueberry, raspberry & gooseberry.

I never do very good with strawberries though. But they are supposed to be easy to look after in pots. I never get much fruit off mine.

Best wishes,
    Charleeh
  • coco67
    Thank you chaleeh

I will look in wilko's for carrot seeds as i realy fancy having a go at growing some, and the kneeler you mentioned, im hoping its not to late to start growing things, :D
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Hi there
    I don't know whereabouts you live but if you are in one of the areas where there is a Master Gardener scheme you could sign up for 12 months free help with food growing, see www.mastergardeners.org.uk
    Mods please note this is not a commercial plug, it's a voluntary scheme run by Garden Organic, a charity.
    Lidls sell really cheap seeds - 29p and 49p - which grow well.
    You are not too late at all to start, it's been so cold there's been no point in sowing before now unless you have a greenhouse. Try radishes, mixed salad leaves, and cut and come again lettuce.
  • coco67
    Thank you daffy 2

i had a look at the link and it looks good but im not in one of there areas, but im going to see if there is anything like it near me as it looks very helpful,

i will be off shopping tomorrow so will have a look and see what i can find
    seed wise.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Coco..my hubby is called making me some raised beds the wooden trough kind.. high enough to sit on a stool I cant get down on the kneelers...but they are a good idea some of them turn into a seat ....I already grow potatoes in tubs and the potato bags you can get..Im afraid that is all I have at the min..carrots should be good for containers because if you get carrot fly ..you have to move them next time anyway...cabbage and lettuce are easy..good luck..it will just be strawberries for me this year...
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Tomato's are easy to grow, you can grow them in a soil bag, just cut out holes in soil bag and bury tomato seeds in the holes.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Hi Coco
    If you want to pm me for advice please feel free to do so.