Help 30 and osteoarthritis

Pea
Pea Member Posts: 11
edited 16. Aug 2013, 11:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi this is the first time I have posted on a forum. I have just returned from GPS today with a diagnosis of OA xray showed sacroillitis and wear and tear in my hips. The pain comes and goes but at its worst is life altering, I couldn't lift my children and had 3 weeks off work on QDS tramadol, now paracetamol keeps the pain away.
I have come away from my GP with no written information and don't know what to expect I'm scared the GP said painkillers to ease the pain and only to come back when pain does not ease taking these, no follow up, I'm really gutted this feels huge and I can't believe I have been left just to deal. What are other people's experience of diagnosis? Does it become easier to live with? is it gong to get worse as I age, bearing n mind I am only 30? I am not over weight and excercise regular it does not run in my family and I have not damaged the joint
Thank you

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Pea, it's nice to meet you but I am so sorry that you have had to find us.

I have OA in both ankles and both knees as a result of the joint damage caused by my other arthritis but I am saddened to say that your GP is right. There is little he can do apart from prescribing pain relief, maybe an anti-inflammatory tablet, exercise (such as swimming) can help to keep the muscles surrounding the affected joint/s stronger so they better support those joints. OA has been 'defined' as the 'wear and tear' arthritits but the thinking on that is changing because people younger than you are being affected.

Everyone's experience of arthritis is different and no-one can predict how things will develop for you. I am very tired and must go to bed but I will be back tomorrow and I hope to answer better. The forum is a wonderful place for information and support so please talk to us, there are many OA-ers on here who will be able to help you much more than me. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    Hi there,
    Sorry you are feeling so bad. I also was first diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my twenties but to be honest things stayed pretty steady for a long time. Just going through periods of pain and then other times when I wouldn't have much pain. I agree with Dream Daisy's answer to your post, it is different for everyone and there is nothing to say that your arthritis will get much worse or that it will happen quickly. It seems to be different for everyone. it is also true that apart from painkillers there isn't much your GP can do. I agree that regular exercise is a great help. I do think you will find it easier to live with although I am sure like most people there will be times when the pain will get you down.
    I have only posted on this site a few times quite recently, but there are lots of friendly people who are able to offer some great advice.
    Take care and hope you are feeling better soon.
    Suzanne x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Pea

I can well understand how you are feeling after leaving your appointment with the gp and I do sympathise. Having children and working you are a busy person and wish to stay that way too. I read that you exercise but I wonder if you are doing the correct exercising for your symptoms. I would have thought that the gp could have referred you to physio to concentrate on the sacroillitis and wear and tear in your hips.Why not ask him? He could also have had more of a "bedside manner" by saying please return to see me if you have any worries or the meds are not working for you. OA unfortunately has no set pattern and everyone is different in how it affects them. Are you only on paracetamol now? Stronger painkillers and anti inflammatories can be prescribed should you find the paracetamol is not strong enough. Anti inflammatories help me immensely with my OA. I have had to come off them for 6 weeks after an injection and do I notice the difference. :shock: :wink: I have noticed this before when I have been told to stop them before an operation too.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello and a warm welcome from me
    I do feel for you being a mum and working, you are right GPs dont take OA seriously ..well some dont...so you go back and ask for a referral to physio..and if you are in lots of pain maybe a pain clinic...
    I have OA in my back and hips and a couple of others places...so I do understand some of your pain..I am a lot older...and retired thank goodness...I do hope you stay with us....it really is good to talk to people that understand...you take care xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Hi, I feel for you, I was in a similar position at 25 after years of aches and pains, it is not an endearing thought to know you have OA. It does not get worse in a linear fashion and everyone has a different story to tell.
    You may find that apart from strenuous exercise you may be able to do something for a long time and OA will come and go to some extent and with it your moods and wellbeing, these are just the ups and downs of life and learning to cope with them is part of the answer to living with OA; learn this and it will make your life more comfortable, its not an easy road but one we all have to travel.

P.S. Learning to speak to the medical profession is more frustrating!
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    I also feel for you. Having children to look after and working And dealing with this.

I had a hip replacement nearly two years ago now. But only because it was so far gone. Now I have the other hip, back, top and bottom, and elbow. They will only keep your pain to a manageable level. That's all they can do. Hopefully, as others have said, you will stay the same for quite a while. Physio is a good way to go when things are bad, so maybe have a chat with your gp about that.

I should have said this first, but welcome to this forum, you have found a lovely place where you will find and advise if we can. I shall look forward to seeing you around the forum.

By the way, how old are your children???. I only ask as I have a 14 and 16 years old. They both are very untidy girls and it takes a time to clear away after them.

Sending you some hugs of comfort.
    Karen xx
  • Pea
    Thank you guys feeling much better now I have my head round it a little bit. I can not take anti inflammatory because I have been blessed enough to suffer from ulcerative colitis too!! Anti inflammatories set off my colitis which for now is very well controlled.
    It is comforting to know I have a place to go to ask questions and gain support thank you
    I until recently excercises with two classes a week, one step and one body pump, after speaking with the physio I now have changed that to pilates and swimming, the gym is my stress reliever so it's hard to be doing gentler excercises
    I went to see a physio before my GP diagnosis (work referred me due to me being off with hip pain) sorry forgot to right tha, the physio said because I was so fit and active just to change my excercise and see if that helps.
    I am now only on paracetamol for the pain which is bare able, I'm just so scared it becomes unbareable again
    Thank you guys for your support and comfort x
  • Pea
    My children are little 6 and 8 both still very much independent on mummy to do everything for them which is hard
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Pea
    Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you have had an appt with a physio and he has advised you about exercise.....things like step are very high impact....not advisable for us with OA. Swimming is def. the best because the water bears your weight. Saying that I dont swim....dont like the water :oops:
    My OA came on gradually....it was never unbearable. During that time I found different ways {as you will} of doing things. We all have to adapt to different ways. My OA is hips, lower spine, ankle and neck. So my mobility is now affected and I have spinal problems so stretching and carrying things is hard and not adviseable for me anyway.
    The other thing....if you are sore....heat or cold...depends on you. With most of us it is heat. I have quite a few wheat bags of different shapes.
    Love
    Hileena
  • Pea
    Just an update, your advice of hot to ease the discomfort has been invaluable to me and a real help, thank you. I have been back to see my GP due to the amount of pain I am in, tramadol every night when I come home from work, keep off the painkillers get through work, come home take painkillers, no relief at all, the GP has refered me to a rhumatologist with a 44 day wait, I have also booked into see occupational health to see if they can do anything for me. The pain has moved to from the top of my hips to the bottom and now I can't even sit down without being in pain. Here's hoping someone somewhere can help me beat this pain, feel really downhearted which is not like me, I'm normally a glass half full person :-(
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hi,

I'm sorry ure pain isn't being controlled Pea :( Is it Slow release Tramadol ure on? I find they work well on a day to day basis & I use normal Tramadol for breakthrough pain. I always take 1000mg paracetamol 3 x a day without fail too. Im on lots of meds other than those two but they're for other medical conditions.

Are you resting plenty as well as exercising, working & looking after ure girls ... It's important to give yourself 'me time' & just relax.

I hope things improve for you. Take care.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    DebbieT wrote:
    Hi,

I'm sorry ure pain isn't being controlled Pea :( Is it Slow release Tramadol ure on? I find they work well on a day to day basis & I use normal Tramadol for breakthrough pain. I always take 1000mg paracetamol 3 x a day without fail too. Im on lots of meds other than those two but they're for other medical conditions.

Are you resting plenty as well as exercising, working & looking after ure girls ... It's important to give yourself 'me time' & just relax.

I hope things improve for you. Take care.x

Can I ask how can I find out what type of tramadol I take? I never knew there was a slow release and normal trmadol.
  • glitterfairy
    glitterfairy Member Posts: 7
    Hi
    I am 31 with OA. Mine diagnosise was a shock but not unexpected i was born with a dislacted hip which was not corrected for 2 years this ongoing issue from that. Even though when my consaltant said oa it was a shock. I think for me it more the reality i need a hip replecement a lot sooner than hoped. I have very little cartlidge left. I am booked in for a steriod injection fingers crossed that will ease it. The pain i find is such a roll coaster to deal with and then not helped by people around you not understanding.

It going to take time to get your head around and time to adapt your life but it will get easied and you work out what helps with pain.My main pain relif as people said heat a good one , rest and baths.

All the best hun x
  • Pea
    Tramadol is normal release, the trouble is it knocks me into another dimension lol x I feel spaced out on it so can only take it when I get home, I manage on paracetamol during the day at work, which eases the pain a bit but not completely, in between working full time in a stressful job and having 2 children to run around after there isn't much time for me time my husband is fab and is taken over the housework....with close supervision I may add! Lol I'm finding I am becoming quite anti social as well as I don't want to go out with my friends to the pub, cinema etc because I need to take painkillers which knock me out and when my friends come round mine, I feel I'm not much company (and they have to do thee own running round after themselfs..hope I find a solution to improve it from the rheumatologist. Thanks for everyone's input, just knowing people are in the same situation and going through the same thing helps
  • lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    Hi pea, was wondering if you have thought of taking glucosamine/chondroitin/msm they have been researched and shown to help with arthritic changes - min effective dose of glucosamine 1500mg best taken with the others as they facilitate its action. Not saying it will take ur oa away but may help you long term.
    Have a quick Google if u get a min in ur hectic schedule!
  • Pea
    Just an update after pushing for a rhumatologist appointment it was my 2nd appointment today after mri and have been diagnosed with seronegative spondyloarthritis in which the inflammation is active :-( had a shot of steroids, some anti inflammatory ex a referal for hydrotherapy and some information on adalimumab which is the next step treatment utterly gutted but happy to have a diagnosis and way forward suppose
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Am so sorry to hear your diagnosis, Pea. Do hope the meds and tre atments will help you. It's so difficult to cope with all these ailments that are thrown at us, especially when you are so young. We're always here if you need advice. I can't help much as it's OA I have, but can only lend my support. Take care. Beryl
  • Pea
    Thank you just to vent and know someone's listening is sometimes is as good as any meds they can give you thank you x
  • Toots
    Toots Member Posts: 483
    Sorry to hear your news Pea, but very glad you pushed for a rheumy appointment. Hoping things get a little better for you going forwards x
    Toots x