Advice for a newbie please

Fay22
Fay22 Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Apr 2013, 03:41 in Say Hello Archive
I am 54 and have been reading the forum and articles since last April when I was diagnosed with severe OA of the spine. Since then I have developed various other symptoms and my GP suspects I have SLE. Pain meds have controlled the worst of the back pain and the neuropathies but I am being driven crazy by a very painful and stiff achilles tendon which refuses to heal, severe dermatitis on my scalp and constant fatigue. My GP doesnt seem to be in any hurry to refer me to a consultant. Any advice on what I can do? I have had to give up work and will soon have to give up my home if I cant get well enough to work. Hoping you will be able to give me some suggestions. :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Fay. It's good to meet you and I hope we can be of help. I have only one piece of advice for you and that is to insist on being referred to a rheumatologist. Pain relief is all very well for OA but SLE is an auto-immune form of arthritis and, if your GP suspects it, you need a referral as only a rheumatologist can prescribe the meds you will need if that's what you have. in the meantime, your GP might be able to tweak your meds to give a bit more relief but you still need to see a rheumatologist. I hope you can see one and get on the right meds.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Fay and welcome to the forum
    I am with SW here you need to see a rheumytologist, only they can do all the blood test xrays and MRIs to see what is going on..I am glad you have decided to join us, at least you now have us to talk to...and any questions just post in LWA...now you get to your GPs and ask to be referred...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Fay22
    Fay22 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the advice, I will definitely ask for a referral next week. Fingers crossed. :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Good for you Fay...the one thing I have learned off this forum is you have to make yourself heard in the NHS...let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    HI Fay

Lovely to meet you and welcome you to our forums.

I have to agree too with Barbara and stickwicket that you do need to be referred.

Let us know how you get on

love

Toni xxx