Hi everyone,
I have just joined.
Jane

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Jane and welcome to the forum, do you want to tell us what type of arthritis you have, if not and you have any questions you post them in LWA..and someone should be along with some answers...and if you want some light relief join us in chitchat...x
    Love
    Barbara
  • Jane390
    Jane390 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Barbara,
    Thank you for your welcome.
    I have arthritis in my knee, and have had physio, painkillers anti inflammatory and steroid injection, known of which seem to have helped.
    My GP told me to learn to live with it, so I am trying to, but it is o painful.
    Jane
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Hi Jane and welcome from me, too. I'm guessing that it's osteoarthritis that you have. If so your GP is right, unfortunately, that it just has to be lived with. A painfree life is very unlikely for anyone with any sort of arthritis and, for most of us, it's a matter of getting the pain down to levels which are as manageable as possible.

Steroid injections are a bit hit and miss. For some of us - and I'm one of the lucky ones - they usually work like dream albeit temporarily. However, others find they give no relief at all.

Anti-inflamms? Which have you tried? There are several different ones and some find that some work better than others. Again, it's horses for courses and a matter of trial and error.

Painkillers? Many of us prefer the term paindullers as we feel that's all one can reasonably expect of them. Again, though, we all differ in which works best for us.

Physio/exercise is good because it keeps the muscles surrounding the joint supple and working. Strong, supporting muscles mean less pain. I do my exercises every day.

The other thing which might help is if you ask your GP to send you to a Pain Clinic. They teach different methods of dealing with pain and many on here have found them useful.

As Barbara has said, if you've any questions just ask them on Living With Arthritis and I'm sure you'll get some answers.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    HI Jane

A quick welcome form me too lovely to meet you :D

So sorry you are still suffering with your knee. Of course in time if it deteriorates further there is stuff they can do from arthrospopies to total knee replacement surgery. Maybe your doc thinks that isn't just yet.

Have you tried heat on your knee or alternatively cool gels/ ice packs???

Even a tens might be worth a try.

The other thing is to consider asking your doc for a slow release painkiller?? They last about 12 hours or more and can stop pain catching up with you (if you know what I mean). Some people take their anti-inflams...then halfway to the next lot, their painkillers and so on. This can keep the level of painrelief consistent - again me trying to keep the 'right' side of pain. Could you talk to your pharmacist about pain relief?

BUt of course there is coming on here too - distraction is an excellent painkiller in my opinion. please do come along in and join us all we are a friendly bunch.

Hang on another idea - can you put your name down for an arthritiscare challenge your pain course in your area?? I did one and it helped lots.

love

Toni xxx