iam 23 and already had 3 joints replaced...

staceyb1989
staceyb1989 Member Posts: 4
edited 16. May 2013, 07:43 in Young people's community
Hi my names stacey im from dundee scotland, i got diagnosed with juvenile chronic RA when i was 9 and by the time i was 11 all my joints had been effected i was on lots of differnent medication steriods etc and had a full double hip replacement when i was 14 like all patients ive had good and bad days it just seems lately its more bad than good then last may i had my left knee totally replaced and now my foots starting to be really effected... im sorry for the long winded post but having all this happen so young makes you feel quite lonely and would be good to talk to people that have gone through the same experiences,
looking forwarding to hearing from anyone :):)

:D

Comments

• amyh
    amyh Member Posts: 1
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Stacey, I share our experience! I'm 26 and have had juvenile idiopathic arthritis since I was one. I had my hips replaced at 18 and that's helped a lot. It sometimes feels a bit lonely so I decided to join here and try and find people with the same experience as me that I can talk to. I'm coming down off a stint of steroid treatment which isn't great as I'm sure you've experienced! Could do with a hot summer! How has your knee replacement gone? My knees will need doing at some point. Amy
  • staceyb1989
    Hi amy thank you for your reply (i joined here for the same reason) I've never spoke to anyone that's my age and had the exact same diagnosis... I agree having my hips replaced was the best thing i ever done
    It gave me a new lease of life :)
    Yeh steriods my god even though they do help i hate every time im on them. Lol ...i know i cant wait to get some hot sunny days fingers crossed :)
    My knee replacement was ok as you probably remember from the hip op it is extremely painfull when you wake up after and you think why did i do this ! Lol but i was on my feet really quick physio within 2 days out the hospital in 3 again im glad i did it :)
    Stacey :D
  • He1en
    He1en Member Posts: 19
    Hi Stacey and Amy,

I am 26 and have had JIA since the age of 3. I had my first hip replaced aged 12 and my 2nd hip replaced at 14. Unfortunately the hip I had done when I was 14 needed revising when I was 16-I had a dreadful flare at the time and was in hospital for 9 weeks. Having the hips done like you, gave me a new lease of life-it was so nice to be able to stop using a wheelchair!!!
    The past 3 years however have been one set back after another. I was due to have my first hip revised in 2011 but 5 days before surgery I fell in the back garden and broke my other hip haha! So I ended up having that one revised (for the 2nd time) instead. I then had the original hip revision 12 weeks later. Both hips were really successful but then my ankle started getting worse and worse and after 2 unsuccessful arthroscopies my Surgeon and I decided that it was time for my ankle to be replaced. I am now 10 weeks post-op and recovering slowly but that constant pain has gone. I am having Physio now to get the movement back and hope to be able to walk my dog soon or even go shopping! I can now finally see some light at the end of the tunnel....
    I too feel lonely and find it really hard to keep "friends." They don't understand and seem to run as soon as I start mentioning I have hip replacements etc. The only friends I do have are all elderly because they understand what it's like to have arthritis and the odd joint replacement :lol: It's so nice to hear that I am not the only one to be young with joint replacements.
    Helen
  • staceyb1989
    Hi helen thank you for your reply ... my goodness you have had a hell of a time it's so inspiring how positive you are ! ... I agree so much about having my hips done and getting out my wheelchair was the best thing ever. I too have had problems with my ankles and am in talks about replacements I was wondering if you had any advice in that area... I have good close Friends and even though they try very hard to understand you just can't unless you've been through it . I hope your able to get out walking your dog very soon :D and go on a shopping spree ! It's great talking to you and look forward to sharing our stories ideas etc in the future
    Stacey :D
  • He1en
    He1en Member Posts: 19
    Hi Stacey, thanks for your reply! Just to let you know, I have sent you a PM (personal message)

Take care
    Helen