Trayce
Trayce Member Posts: 110
edited 3. May 2013, 16:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
three sessions of physio and that is it

Comments

• constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yep, I am the same. Finished my third one today. Rediculous isn't it.
    Karen xx
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Yes, think they must be cutting back. I am currently having hydro therapy and discovered that am only allowed 4- used to be 6. Think it is the same with physio. Ridiculous isn't the word!!!! Beryl
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Beryl, I knew I had spelt it wrong. :oops: I kept looking and thinking... I don't know that word rediculous looks wrong but could not work out why. I should know better. :roll:
    Karen xx
  • gilly1957
    gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
    That's mot many sessions.
    I live in Blackpool and have been having physio since January, sometimes once a week, but normally every two weeks.
  • chookgate
    chookgate Member Posts: 146
    Pre my TKR I got referred for physio and was stunned that all I got was three 10 minute sessions - that did absolutely nothing! The first session I got shown some exercises and the other two sessions were nothing more than checking I was doing them!

Post TKR I got 6 hour long sessions that were brilliant.

So maybe it depends on how you were referred and what for? 3 short sessions is a complete waste of time in my opinion
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    After my first synovectomy in late Feb 2002 I had physio once a week, plus hydrotherapy for six weeks and ultra-sound treatment for a month, all between April to September, purely because of the damage that had been wrought to my knee. It didn't 'work' as such simply because the problem returned (I wasn't definitely diagnosed as an arthritic then) but it did help me to get some strength back in my left leg before it all went mammaries upwards in the September.

I think there is a limited amount an actual physio can do once we've been assessed - the impetus has to come from us to keep up with the exercises so we can keep moving. I still do my post-op synovectomy drills with the hope that I can keep my leg muscles as strong as possible. It's paid off - on my better days I can ascend our stairs like a grown-up. I still can't descend like one, though, and I doubt that will ever come to pass. No matter, I get from the top to the bottom and that is what counts. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sailrib
    sailrib Member Posts: 327
    I've always been told that most of the exercises/strengthen comes from doing them at home, everyday.

There's only so much they can do in the sessions. With my physio, they mainly just checked how I was doing them and if I need some new exercises. She would then show me how to do them and I would practise with her for about half hour or so.