Harrumphing

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 23. May 2013, 06:39 in Community Chit-chat archive
Is this an exclusively male preserve? The Oxford dictionary defines ‘harrumph (v)’ as (i)‘to clear the throat noisily’ and (ii)‘to grumpily express dissatisfaction or disapproval’.

I used to think it only occurred in posh households. Colonels and Lords of the Manor often seemed to harrumph in novels and you knew they were destined, before the final page, to expire of apoplexy over the port and stilton. (What a wonderful death!) But Mr SW, of humble origins, now harrumphs regularly, despite preferring beer and cheddar, and he expertly combines the two definitions.

He harrumphs a lot in hospitals as he dislikes waiting. (The rest of us, of course, love it :roll: ) It’s meant to convey that he has more important things to do, unlike us lesser mortals. He never harrumphs for his own appointments though, as then he’s far too worried – not that he has much wrong with him but he might have.

He harrumphs at anything and anyone that delays a meal, or even a course of a meal. He likes his food regularly and on time.

He harrumphs when he thinks we should be setting out for an appointment about 15 minutes earlier than necessary and then he harrumphs once he’s arrived 15 minutes early because of the delay.

He never harrumphs at other motorists, though. He just calls them stupid asterisks.

I may be mistaken but I can’t recall any of my female friends harrumphing. So, are the dangly bits essential for this activity? And should he avoid port and stilton?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sticky,

I think it is a 'male' thing -us ladies are to polite to ever make such a noise! -we tend to sigh instead! This is quite a good 'noise' to make as it usually makes anyone around you ask what's wrong. If you start your reply with " oh it's nothing really just...." then you get your point across without sounding aggressive and antagonistic. Works for me ( but don't tall my OH!)

Love Kate x
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I'm an expert sigher. Mig
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    My Bosses are very good at it :lol:
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    I'm a good Harrumper, the older I get, the less tolerant I get, I even annoy myself sometimes! lol
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think I am married to your husband. :oops: Harrumphing is more usually associated with the male of the species but I daresay that if us ladies put our minds to it we could out-harrumph the poor dears within a nano-second. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Brilliant...now I can give a name to the noises my OH makes.. harrumphing... :lol::lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Having been on my own for a long time and do not have to put up with the harrumphing, but, with all my autonomic problems and the meds I have to take a partner would have to put up with me Parumphing,.......hehe............... :oops: :lol: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    im so upset i saw that word harrumphing and thought it must have something to do with sex so i took a peek
    so
    harrumph
    from Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Typical bloke Colin but you made me laugh out loud. Mig
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Me To Mig , Colin you silly great banana
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hummph!
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Well Mr Bubba & myself have Harrumphing competitions!!