Exercise DVDs?

Options
Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 29. May 2013, 05:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm in my sixties and have got osteoarthritis in my knees and, to a lesser extent, my hips. I'm dieting to lose weight, which is going well and also want to increase my fitness level, as I'm quite sedentary. I enjoy my Wii Fit, but do find that some exercises are rather hard on my knees. I just wondered if there were any other exercise DVDs out there that people had found useful and which were suited to arthritis sufferers. I do prefer to exercise at home.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have OA in both knees and both ankles (and another arthritis elsewhere). Anything that involves swaying, sudden changes of direction or repeated movements is hell on earth, as is yoga etc as I cannot stand still for anything more than 30 seconds. Have you thought about going for a weekly swim? Your body weight is supported and you can exercise all areas in some comfort. Cycling is another good form of low-impact exercise and an exercise bike in front of the telly is a good way to pass some time whilst being 'entertained'. A daily gentle walk may also be beneficial. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Have you tried this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVgW6CCb3Wk

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Well done on the dieting an exercise plan, megrose.

My situation is different from yours as I have RA and OA and, essentially, I'm just trying to hang onto my range of movements and keep my muscles :roll: as strong as possible. I do my quad exercises every day, ride my 'exercise horse' and do some from a R*s*m*ry C*nl*y DVD called something like A Full Body Workout. (I do those you can do from a chair.)

Good luck! I hope it all helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your replies. Lots to think about. I've ordered that DVD,stickywicket, it sounds like fun. I think my problem is that I get a bit bored, so the plan is to vary the type of exercise over a week. Thanks again.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I think it's a good plan to vary it so's you don't get bored. It will also, presumably, bring more muscles into play. Let's know how you get on, please, megrose.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright