Computer protection.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 3. Jun 2013, 12:55 in Community Chit-chat archive
My N*rt*n ran out today, I think I remember Mr DD telling me that it's still in my computer, it won't be updated but will still offer some protection.

What do you use? I know there are free downloads out there in cyber space (I installed an AVG thingy onto my 'phone) but I lack knowledge and information about their general effectiveness. Can anyone educate me, please? DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Avg pretty widely used pretty good, there's loads on internet but to be honest thats as good as any and easy to install.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Sorry DD can't help you as it is n*r*o* I have installed on mine which I got the shop to install for me as it is a new laptop and I am clueless about these things.................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I have the free AVG one in my desktop and have had for a year or two. No problems at all. I believe Microsoft Security Essentials is good too. Don't install more than one though as they fight each other :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I heard that about the microsoft one too....still have norton ATM myself.

Good luck DD

Love

Toni xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Used to have the free AVG and had no problems with it but since my sil became a manager at Microsoft, he's installed theirs on my laptop. Still no problems.
    Christine
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    I've heard Microsoft is one of the best
    Norton for me allowed a virus in and now have blue screen of death
    It went to get fixed but is still poorly grrr
    Maria
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    If you are a B.T customer their security package is very good, I have it on my computer and I'm very impressed. I used to use N*r*o* but when the free cover ran out I wasn't impressed with their consent badgering me to buy their full package. There are a lot of free security packages online it's a case of reading the reviews and finding the best one.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Free AVG DD. Download it from majorgeeks. Watch out if AVG then start putting up an update link though. Because of clicking on this update I then kept getting messages saying I only had x number of days left and when it 'ran out' I installed a norton disc and the 2 clashed and caused problems with all my laptops (only the update trial had finished but I didn't know that). I'm back to AVG now, having had to uninstall norton.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you everyone for your various inputs. I have downloaded the Microsoft one so I will wait to see how things go. I shall attempt to uninstall the N*rt*n one later - my little mchine is not behaving very well at all at the moment, it's running jerky and slow (much like its owner :roll: ) so hopefully a little de-clutter will help. DD
  • toady
    toady Member Posts: 2,096
    As an alternative recommendation.. avast! free version gets my vote. Many years without a problem on my PC - plus you can get it in 'talk like a pirate' mode, arr Jim lad, need I say more. :D
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Best protection is the following one, it's free and is on 24/7 so you never have to run a scan.

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html

Also put on Cleaner to keep your computer running fast.
  • alanthemanc
    alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
    D.D
    I don't know if you've managed it, but iv'e heard that Norton is a real **** to get off. Someone told me that you need to download Norton Unistaller to really get it off. Alanthemanc
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I've heard the same about Norton. Once you've got it, you can't get rid of it.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    Once again, thanks to you all for your various inputs. I have removed most of the N*rt*n - there's one bit left, its icon shows up when I first switch on and I will get around to dealing with it but life seems to be just one damn challenge after another and this is one challenge too far. :( Everything seems to be OK apart from the fact that I am now getting highlighted text all over the shop, on here too. This is very irksome. DD