A new addition to my OA family

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 9. Jun 2013, 15:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

Today I had to venture to see my GP on account of bout of dizziness at work.

Apart from the dizziness, I was a little concerned about my neck is heading (no pun intended) to become chronically sore and stiff along with crepitus, which I can hear -- not sure if anyone else can though.

I am left under the impression that the two conditions are unrelated ... the dizziness was diagnosed as vertigo, although there wasn't any signs of a viral infection ... and with regard to my neck, it was left as probably OA -- to join the rest of my OA affected joints ... I think my hips and elbows are beginning to feel left out ... lol!

Scozzie

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Scozzie
    Oh dear poor you
    I know exactly how you feel my neck cereals and cracks like crazy I'm sure people can hear it but my hubby assures me he can't
    I know you have OA but have they tested you for other types of Arthritis?
    It might be worth asking as my neck has been like it for abt 10 yrs
    I've been tested for the rheumatoid factor that's negative all my bloods are normal but I have Inflammatory Arthritis for which I show all the signs on physical examination but not through my bloods
    The only real proof is that my daughter has Ulcerative Colitis diagnosed in July an auto immune disease which led my rheumy to say now there's the link
    I'm not saying you have Inflammatory Arthritis but just feel you may benefit from further blood tests that may help with a diagnosis
    Saying that it did not for me :roll:
    Hope you get some relief
    Maria
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Sorry you have more stuff to contend with!
    Arthritis is nothing if not giving :? :roll:
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi scozzie
    My neck joined my hips and back last year...so I understand what you are going through...I also get rotten headaches these are not normal for me...but I am not sure about the dizziness, but you keep on at the, have you had a MRI on your neck , that should show up more..
    I use wheat cushions for the pain the ones you warm in the micro...but a friend of mine that is a nurse said if there is swelling I should use ice :o not to keen on that..you take care x
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    scozzie wrote:
    I think my hips and elbows are beginning to feel left out ... lol!

Scozzie

:shock: Don't say that, scozzie or they might :lol:

I hope the vertigo doesn't last.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • scozzie
    Options
    Thanks all

Maria I was given a couple of blood tests about two years ago when I was first diagnosed, along with x-rays. The bloods came back negative, although I had to be retested for blood sugars -- which turned out to be fine. The x-rays generally showed little if any signs of "wear and tear", even my right knee showed little evidence even though it grinds like crazy going up stairs.

I know OA isn't infectious and doesn't spread around the body like viruses etc, but it sure does seem to be doing it to me ... lol!!!

It's also amazing how, just when you think you have it sussed and under control, it can just rear up and bite you on the bum!!!

Barbara thanks for mentioning the wheat pack, I dug mine out yesterday and gained some relief. Unfortunately, I can ill afford more time off work for MRI scans, or bloods, or further x-rays as I have already exceeded my paid sick leave entitlement over the past eight months (although I'm still receiving full pay for them, for which I am grateful to the company I work for) ... over the past year or two I have developed a rare condition called Recurrent Laryngeal Papillomatosis, which has required four operations (in the past eight months) already on my vocal cords. Btw it is not a painful condition, just frustrating as it affects my voice ... prior to an op in January I'm sure I could have almost have whispered louder than talked.

And as painful and stiff as my other joints can get, although they're usually not too bad, I feel that the neck pain is far far worse as it seems to affect my whole body and the vertigo definitely doesn't help there! However, I'm due a routine visit to the ENT consultant on Thursday so I'll ask her about the vertigo then, to see if she figure out any reason for it.

You know ... if I was a horse, they'd shoot me ... lol!!!

Thanks again
    Scozzie
  • scozzie
    Options
    Hi again all

Time for an update ... I spoke to the ENT consultant on Thursday, and although ears aren't her speciality, she had a good look and declared that I had two healthy ear canals. She is believes it may be stress related -- which is a distinct possibility as things have been quite stressful at work recently and I'm not handling stress as well as I used to. The vertigo has almost totally disappeared as I was put back on my normal, everyday tasks on Wednesday ... thank goodness for that.

My neck pain has also diminished significantly, but the creaking is still there.

Take care and stay as pain free as possible.

Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    That sounds a bit better, scozzie. Stress can be a big factor in all sorts of things. I hope the vertigo stays away now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright