Old wives tales and home remedies

LoneGunman
LoneGunman Member Posts: 25
edited 22. Jun 2013, 18:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

I thought it might be a bit of fun to look at old wives tales and old home remedies that help with RA, OA and other related problems, I will start it
off with 3 handed down though my family over the years and all of which deal with movement, swelling, brusing and pain.

1, Cherries whether fresh, frozen or tinned contain antioxidents that can help with sewlling in the extremities ideal if you suffer with RA but it can help with all forms of arthritis,

The darker the cherry the better but all cherries are good even ones that are used in yogurts are good.

2, witch hazel liquid is good for brusing and swelling, just rub a small amount into the affected area 2/3 times a day this will bring the brusing to the surface and can calm the swelling down which will also help with the pain.

3, Now everyone knows the benifits of codliver oil but another alturnative is WD40 I know it sounds strange but it dose work first spray a small amount into a container and leave for 5 minutes to allow some of the solvent to evaporate then rub into the joints of the hands and feet.

Use the WD40 very sparingley as you could end up very spotty, my father uses it twice a month and swears by it I to have used it and it dose help with movement of the joints, I have seen articals about the use of WD40 with arthritis all I can say is, is it a mind job that rubbing in a lubricant will help lossen the joints or that the fact you are useing a lubricant is actualy working who knows .

Anyway theres my 3 old wives tales to start the topic off lets hear from you all as to what old wives tales you have heard of and if they work or not.

Tony aka LoneGunman

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Lonegunman, I think I did every Old Wives (plus new-fangled) quack remedy in the book in my first 25 years or so of RA. Strangely enough I still have it. Nowadays it's strictly approved meds and surgery for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    cherrys love them so any benefits are a bonus but still waiting , as for wd40 to smelly , as kids we were always given codliver oil and malt and still love it now but why we had it i dont know
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I heard that pineapple is a natural anti-inflamatory :smile:

and it's NICE too :grin:

Love

Toni xx

Isn't there a cidar vinegar one as well??
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Tony

I like the raisins soaked in gin "cure"! only without the raisins :lol::lol:
    Chris
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Oh The DD40 one did make me laugh.

I have found cabbage leaves help if my knees are swollen (on top of usual meds etc.) Strap them to the knees at bedtime, really helps reduce puffiness. I was dubious and desperate when this old wives tale was suggested, but it did really help.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Home made celery soup.......My Mil tells me celery is good for my arthritis and I should also eat.......Pilchards......yuuuuuuk.

juliepf x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Well brandy does it for me... :grin::grin:
    One thing tho that has been around for thousands of years...think it thousand :???: is rose hip...I am thinking of giving it a go....will let you know if it works....wonder if it will go with brandy :grin:
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    When I was a little girl my mum used to give us Rose hip syrup and haliborange tablets
    Cath
  • LoneGunman
    LoneGunman Member Posts: 25
    LOL Barbara12 brandy's not to my liking but I would not say no to a large 18 year old Islay or Spyside single malt will do the job for me lol :lol::lol:

Caterina57 rose hips are a great sorce of anti-oxidents and if you add dryed elderflower and cherry blossom you will have a really nice herbal tea that is quite relaxing (you can always add gin or brandy instead of hot water :lol::lol: )

Tony
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    I read that an old sock soaked in olive oil works for a stiff neck.
    Soak the sock in olive oil then wrap it round your neck.
    Ive not tried it as it sounds a bit messy.

Onions & garlic (Can use garlic cloves or the tablet form) Help reduce blood pressure. This i have tried on my OH & it did work. His blood pressure was sky high & i got it back to near normal using these everyday.

Anythings worth a try, debs
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    What a great thread.....I think the majority of us will try almost anything as a "miracle cure" :lol::lol:
    We know there is no cure as such but if anything like that helps.......give it a go as long as it doesnt harm.
    Some people say they have tried things like that and are sceptical but its like meds....different things work for different people and it may be mind over matter {a placebo} but who cares....I wouldnt if it helps a bit.
    Sorry I havent got anything at the moment that hasnt been mentioned....will put the thinking cap on :lol: It would be nice to hear from people that have tried something that works for THEM...keep the thread going.

Love
    Hileena
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    always have which hazel in have used it for years on bumps and bruises(have 2 lads)
    try to eat pinapple and brockly any dark green veg to help also cherries and strawberries when available val
    val
  • sugarbuttie
    sugarbuttie Member Posts: 225
    My dad bought me a tub of Dog Oil last month! Rubbed it into feet for days &, guess what, did NOWT! Apparently some old bloke at the bowling club swears by it. I swear by it too....its S H 1 T !!
  • Daveboy
    Daveboy Member Posts: 26
    One remedy I used to take was a desert spoonful of red wine vinegar and a teaspoonful of honey in hot water, mix it up well and drink. Tastes a bit like a cheap sweet wine. Not sure if it worked tho' :???:

I got it from a book my partner bought me a few years ago when I was first diagnosed with arthritis but most the remedies were for RA rather than OA.

Personally I find a large Jack Daniels works, doesnt get rid of the pain but it makes me feel nice inside so I forget about the pain. :grin:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Best natural remedy? A couple of pints of Wherry, followed by a glasse of white wine. Two cocos later et voila! All better! :grin: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • sugarbuttie
    I agree with DD - booze is the best remedy of all - pain reduced & you couldn't care less - ha!! :grin: If only booze was discovered as the new sulphasalazine!!
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    I've also heard that pineapple is a good anti-inflammatory. But from a different person, I've heard that you shouldn't eat it on MTX day.

I LOVE cherries, so now I have a great excuse. :grin:
  • moodyblue
    moodyblue Member Posts: 15
    Hi,
    Love this thread, lots of tasty ideas. Not sure how much brandy /whisky /wine I'm allowed with my MTX. Does anyone know? Cherry Brandy might work, too, or a pineapple flambe!

Fish oil is better than cod-liver oil, as you won't overdose your Vitamin A intake.

Very worried if anyone is genuinely using WD40. My neighbour recommended it, and later died of kidney cancer. I imagine it would get into the bloodstream quite easily. Isn't it made from petroleum? According to my OH, you have to wear gloves if you use it a lot.

Must admit I only rely on my medications these days. I used a lot of herbal remedies in the early days. I spent a lot of money on a lot of nonsense back then!

But at last I understand my addiction to black cherry yoghurt!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    How is the dog oil going then Sugarbuttie?? any help at all?

Guess what l have a 'new' remedy...hols in a lovely hot climate :grin:

Love

Toni xx
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    barbara12 wrote:
    Well brandy does it for me... :grin::grin:
    One thing tho that has been around for thousands of years...think it thousand :???: is rose hip...I am thinking of giving it a go....will let you know if it works....wonder if it will go with brandy :grin:
    Barbara x
    have been giving my 16 year old daughter Rose hip for about a year now as our OA is heridatery on the female side for some reason, although my 30 year old son has some joint pain, she has hyper mobility joints or something like that, but all of my kids drank rosehip syrup as children (Delrosa) do you remember this? i had it as a child as well, michelle
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    TONI......I'M NOT LISTENING.....CANT HEAR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x

Love Hileena :lol:
  • sugarbuttie
    frogmorton wrote:
    How is the dog oil going then Sugarbuttie?? any help at all?

Guess what l have a 'new' remedy...hols in a lovely hot climate :grin:

Love

Toni xx

The Dog Oil is a waste of flamin' time - just as I thought it would be! Bless my dad for trying to help me though! Best thing I have found for sore feet is bag of frozen peas!!

Have a lovely holiday - the best remedy of all!
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hot chillies are supposed to help also capsicum cream rubbed in to joints
    I think I prefer the Cherry Brandy idea yummy ooooh how about cherry brandy chocolates? :D
    A few glasses of rosé wine seems to work for me but think its the alcohol dulling the pain :roll:
    Hic Maria
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I could write a book on all the scary quack cures I've heard... I agree about caution with WWD40 given that it likely is cleaned out via the liver and a lot of us overwork that with mtx, etc already. Antioxidants work for me. Just improve the fatigue, not the pain but any improvement is welcome. Mostly it's conventional meds/treatments for me.

I've heard that being "tapped" all over with a juniper branch is an old cure. Don't think I'll be trying that one but maybe the cure is in never wanting it done again after the first time :lol: .......I do love a hot soak for the joints.

I've read that people with RA and other inflammatory arthritides need good quality protein as we use more than normal making our extra & lovely inflammatory biochemicals so I take a serving of good quality whey protein every day. We tend to break down our own muscle more readily if not getting enough in diet.

Can't forget omega 3's, lots of fish for us arthritic joint types. Good for the joints. Too bad it's not a cure....

Caffeine (before noon for us insomniacs) also can make your pain meds work a little better. It's called a "potentiator" and is sometimes added in codeine tablets for this reason.

Pineapple juice does not interact well with many meds. Can cause either too much medication to be absorbed, or too little.

Chocolate is good for just about everything in my book.....xxoo chocolate!!

I'll try to think of some older "cures" . Some really push the cider vinegar in water. Never tried this one myself.
  • BonnGayle
    BonnGayle Member Posts: 26
    I dont know if you'd count these as old cures or not but here goes !
    as you know by now I dont live in the uk right now Im living in Germany Germans are very educated about herbs and a doctor will sometimes prescribe a herbal tea before something pharmacutical

Sage -I get a lot of sore throats and my ent doc told me to go drink some sage tea have to admit I was sceptical but when I feel a raw throat coming on Im straight to the sage !

Reducing red meats
    I read a few reports that said red meat can make inflammation worse so Ive gone mostly veggie I cook meat twice a week but the rest of the time we have veggie meals, I have to say the judge is still out on this one although I feel brighter in myself and lost 5 kilos without trying, I dont belive its had a signig´ficant effect on my joint pain as yet.