Gout - diagnosed today

welshgirl21
welshgirl21 Member Posts: 6
edited 1. Jun 2013, 05:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
My partner Rob has just been diagnosed with Gout in both feet/ankles; he is only 30 so we're gutted :cry:

He's been given tablets and told to change his diet and lose more weight (he's already lost 2 stone). I don't understand how the diet can be changed to lose weight though as it recommends eating plenty of dairy, white bread, pasta, fruit and vegetables but to lose weight they tell you to eat wholemeal bread, pasta etc.

He does need to cut out cola which he drinks a fair bit so we're not buying that anymore and I know he needs to watch sugar too.

I'm doing Slimming World myself so I will be there to help him make the changes he needs and cook meals with less meat etc so the protein stays low, I just want to help as much as I can with the changes so he doesn't suffer as many episodes.

Sarah

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I don't know much about gout and even less about the right diet for it but at least your man has you at his side to encourage him. Have you read Arthritis Care's booklet on gout? I hope someone more clued up than I am will be along soon to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • welshgirl21
    welshgirl21 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you, I will have a look at the leaflet you mentioned.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    My husband has occasional bouts of gout in his big toes - a few days of diclofenac sorts him out, lucky s*d. I read somewhere that a diet high in purines can be a trigger so I now avoid feeding him pork and turkey (his last severe bout came after Christmas when that's all he'd had for a few days!) but as to what causes the infrequent bouts I do not know. I think gout is somewhere on the inflammatory arthritis spectrum but I am not sure. His father had severe arthritis (of what sort we don't know because he would never go to the doctors or take pain relief) so maybe there's a familial link too. Does anyone in your partner's family have anything similar? I wish him well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I don't understand how the diet can be changed to lose weight though as it recommends eating plenty of dairy, white bread, pasta, fruit and vegetables but to lose weight they tell you to eat wholemeal bread, pasta etc.

I don't see a lot of conflict here. The dairy can be low fat. Wholegrains are more filling but even ordinary pasta satisfies for some time. I know a few veg have to be watched for gout (mainly beans, peas, cauliflower and spinach, I think) but that leaves plenty of choice. I hope it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright