Mary Portas..... that shop woman

alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 1. Jun 2013, 11:12 in Community Chit-chat archive
She rode into town like some knight ready to save the country......... erm the only problem is a year on,....... there are more shops that have closed in the towns she was going to save, than have opened.
£100.000 was never going to save the likes of Rochdale etc, all that will get you is a few hanging baskets.
You can't help feeling that she was used by politicians......who have all headed for the hills while she will carry the can. Another one bites.. the dust. Alanthemanc

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Alan I totally agree with you it was to trick us all into thinking they were actually doing something for the high st...and may I ask what putting nice pictures into empty shop windows was suppose to achieve...
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    She is apparently helping with the town next to the one I live in. They have ripped up almost the whole High Street and relaid it. I think it will look pretty good but it was all redone only a few years ago. It is difficult to get around there at the moment and a lot of people prefer to go elsewhere. Just hope people will come back once it's done. The market seems to have gone back to the time where there was atmosphere, with the stallholders shouting about their wares. This has been missing for some years. There are regular events being held in the High Street now which is attracting people. Haven't noticed any difference in the shops. There are still many which are closed.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Alan

Good to see you posting :)

I saw this on TV once l think - I totally agree with you there is no way that sort of money can do much. PARKING is the issue if you ask me.

The retail parks have this you see thats why folks go there.

Ah well.....sigh and it's FREE too :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I agree with Toni, parking is an issue. We have half hour free parking and it has helped. Its just enough time to pop in a couple of shops.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    I live in a lovely small town with lots of history and character. There is free parking at the moment but they are about to put parking meters in. A lot of people will stay away if they do and, as you say, go to the retail parks.
    Christine