Advice please on sick pay

magenta
magenta Member Posts: 1,604
Hi everyone,

I was hoping that someone would be able to help me with regards sick pay. I'm currently on sick leave with 3 weeks to go before I'll start on half pay. I work for the NHS so I would be eligible for 6mths of half pay.

I never imagined I would ever be in this situation, I've always managed to 'just get on with it' and cope (just) with my job. Anyway, I've kept thinking I'll be back at work soon but now my last sick line I got on Friday for 3wks will take me up to the 6mth mark of sickness. I've been told by some people that it's not really half-pay, you get 'something' from the government to help boost your lost income-that correct? I'm going to try and find my nearest job centre to get advice on benefits etc... but would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

Thanks,

Magenta

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 10. Jun 2013, 10:47
    Hi Magenta
    It definitely is half pay it may seem less as its a basic wage with no special duties so may seem less
    Do you think you will able physically to return to work?
    I had 6months off about 4yrs ago and managed to go back to work but last bout was so bad I had to hang up the nursing shoes and go for ill health retirement which luckily I got as my contract was terminated 26/1/13 my pension came through in June so had a few months without any money as my ESA came to an end on 12/3/13 day before my pension should have started
    Hope you are ok in yourself because it really got me down at times
    At least now when I say I'm retired I get people say I don't look old enough thank goodness I'm only 50
    I get people saying how lucky I am I'm retired I just say its not by choice
    Keep strong
    Maria
  • maria09
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ps your works payroll should send you information on going on half pay and how to claim for ESA
    Maria
  • magenta
    Hello Maria,

Thanks for replying.
    I honestly don't know if I'll ever be able to return to work. It's been really hard and very scary the past few months and every so often I've felt that the time was right to return to work but then my health deteriorates further.

I'm worried sick about being off sick! Now that it's getting very close to the 6mth mark, I'm getting scared. I got my letter a couple of weeks back but it only had my dates about when my last day of full pay was etc.. No mention of ESA-is that what I could be applying for? I'm not very clued up on all this stuff. There's a number on the letter that I can call, I'll do that tomorrow but I'll still get some advice from a job centre-if that's the best place?
    I have my good days, bad days and c**p days-the latter becoming more common lately. I'll be 44 in a couple of days, still too young for retiring (hopefully!)

Thanks again Maria

Magenta
  • maria09
    Hi Magenta
    I was a nurse for 30 years and only last year did I realise enough was a enough
    I've had 4 years of hell with my evil ward manager written warnings losing appeal even though I have a chronic condition
    I could go on for hours
    So to cut long story short I got I'll health retirement so at 49 on the 13/3/13 I officially retired and not looked back
    All my friends say I look so much better
    I have no stress well work wise any way and off happy pills so although my condition is worsening I don't have the fear or dread of work
    It would be worth contacting payroll and ask them mine just sent me the forms to complete
    It may also be worthwhile contacting works pension for a pension prediction in case you do have to go down the ill health route
    You can pm me if you have any other questions
    Maria
  • magenta
    Hi again,

I'm going to contact payroll in the morning and ask a fair few questions.

I'm not a nurse, I'm a pharmacy technician based on the wards (childrens) and although I adore my work it's extremely exhausting. Before I went off on the sick, I was getting bullied by people that I once called friends-makes it harder to understand but I'm not that surprised as the NHS is very cut throat-my place in particular is really bad where everyone wants to be the boss. I've only been in post for 15yrs so don't know if I would have much of a pension.

I have arthritis in my lumbar spine with 3 bulging discs causing neuro problems and I'm hoping that the neurosurgeon that is 'eventually' going to see me will be able to sort out my back. I also have fibro, multiple OA , cervical spondylosis and sero-neg arthritis but believe it or not, I was coping until Christmas. When I write my ailments down it astounds me how I'm still standing :D Other things have happened that make my story a bit more complicated.
    I'm not giving in yet though.I've been to Occy Health etc and will do the Access to work thing too when I return. My GP wants me to see the surgeon guy before he'll even consider sending me back to work-I think that will be after my 6mths are up. I'll try and get back but I'll need to get my head around what's out there, benefit wise-just in case!

Thanks so much for your help and for your offer to PM you,

I hope you are well,

Magenta x
  • maria09
    Hi Magenta
    The NHS is full of bullies which always surprised me
    I have always treated people with dignity and respect but some throw it back in your face as a sign of weakness
    Don't stoop to their level they will get their rewards in hell.
    Don't let them kick you out
    I have two friends they did that to. " can't work so no use to us "
    Are you in a union? If not join now as you will need their support
    Also keep a record of everything said to you by who and what it regards its a god send if needed to prove their lies
    I had four full arch lever files full before I left.
    They have to make sure they have put everything in place to support your return to work Occ Health Doctor and nurses helped me so much
    Keep strong
    Maria
  • magenta
    Hi Maria,

Yep, bullying is rife in the NHS and sadly the managers in my place, don't/won't deal with the problems. I've got everything written down and yep, I'm in a union. Saying that though, my union haven't been too helpful either!!! It's as if they can't be bothered with the hassle of taking on a complaint from a member.

I'm still confused about the whole sick pay thing. My payroll dept told me 1 date for my half pay starting and now have told me my SSP stops another 2 wks after this date. She has however, sent me out a form for ESA. I also went for some advice from a local support group. They told me I could only apply for ESA when I'm on no pay and it's means tested.

She also advised me to apply for DLA but seeing how problematic it's been for everyone on here, I don't know whether I should bother!

Thanks for your help,

Magenta
  • maria09
    Hi Magenta
    They are wrong you can get ESA when on half pay I did but saying that DWP want it back as Atos say I'm fit for work yet another long story!
    Keep fighting I will try and look to see if I still have the forms they gave me as I'm sure I photocopied them will let you know when I find them
    Maria
  • magenta
    Hi Maria,

Thanks for all your help. I knew I would get correct info on here. It seems that this so called support group set up to help, doesn't have the correct information. She also told me that her daughter was really bad with arthritis and she doesn't get anything-felt a bit like a fraud.

Magenta
  • maria09
    Hi it's me again
    Your employer should give you the Form for claiming ESA as they have to fill parts of it in
    You could try www.direct.gov.uk/sickpay or job centre plus on 0800 055 66 88 not sure if you can put telephone numbers on here but it's not as if its a private number
    Maria
  • magenta
    Thanks Maria,

I'll give the website a try. I've still not got my head around the possibility of me not going back to work. There's still time though :) I need to try and remain positive and concentrate on getting as well as I can.

Thanks for all your help and support,

Magenta x
  • maria09
    Hi Magenta
    It took me 3years of struggling daily at work having lots of sickness to make me realise enough was enough and I needed to concentrate on my health
    Since then I've not looked back of course money I'd tight I only used to work 2 8hour shifts a week always split so would have some time to recover so my wage wasn't brilliant to start with and I now get half of that yearly wage I had
    Money is tight but we manage and quality of life is more important than money
    I've even stopped my happy pills as it was work and my boss caused all my stress which didn't help my condition
    I hope you manage to make your decision I know how hard it is
    Maria
  • magenta
    Thanks Maria,

I feel okish today and when I feel like this I then think I can get back to work. I know I'm fragile so I'll need to take things easy, not cutting the hedge (managed 5mins :D ). I need to learn what I can and can't do and stick to it! I'm hoping that the neurosurgeon will be able to do something to my back which will give me some more time in my job, just have to wait and see what happens. I'm trying not to get stressed or worried about it all but as you know it's hard.

I know I have alot of struggling ahead but I'll go back and work until I'm told to stop! Hopefully that will be for a long time.

Thanks for everything,

Magenta x
  • maria09
    Hi Magenta
    That's the spirit keep fighting
    Your body will tell you when enough is enough
    Hope you get back to work
    Maria
  • maria09
    Well Nolan do you work for the job centre? Sounds like you do
    No they don't know everything
    Best bet is your employers or checking Direct.gov
    DWP only care on getting everyone working even when you can't!
    I got I'll health retirement and so called job centre ( DWP ) say I'm fit for work? Explain that 1 as I can't makes no sense apart from the fact they want everyone with a disability working so they can save money but spend 394 million pounds on Atos to perform dodgy medicals saying the sick are fit to work where sick people die waiting for a tribunal date!
    So DWP and job centres can go where the sun don't shine!
    Maria