PIP finger joint

DaveU
DaveU Member Posts: 2
A few years ago (2004) I had a finger joint fused because of extreme pain. I asked for a joint replacement but was told this was not very strong. I am now having trouble with the PIP joint of my little finger, which is v painful.
I saw a consultant at Beneden Health Care who said I needed a fusing. I want a replacement joint and am awaiting seeing a NHS consultant. I fear that she will recommend a fused joint but this will mean I will not be able to grip a golf club properly. Aren't replacement joints up to the job. Why don't they allow patients to have this procedure?

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Dave
    I think fusion is offered as they know it works
    My orthopaedic consultant saw me regarding fusion/ joint replacement of my toes
    He was very honest with me saying joint replacements for toes are still fairly new and he could not give me a guarantee that they work as not enough had been performed and as new there was not enough evidence to support they work he had done some and success was good but not sure how long they last thinks he's only done them for four years so long term success is not yet known and might have to have toe fused at a later date I chose fusion and not looked back just had my 2nd 3rd 4th toes fused 6 days ago and apart from some post op discomfort the pain has gone
    I'm assuming its the same for finger joints I have nodal arthritis in my fingers and yes they are very painful and disfigured but still work and not sure if I would go down the joint replacement just yet until more is known how effective they are
    Saying all this at the end of the day it's your choice and should be offered joint replacement the consultant is only there to offer you advice not tell you what you can and can't do
    My consultant always says its my choice and if I had wanted joint replacement in my toes he would have done it maybe it would be worth asking for a 2nd opinion or at least his reason for saying no
    Dear me that was long winded
    What I'm saying is at the end of the day it's your choice not his
    Best wishes
    Maria
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Dave

We can’t really add much more to what Maria says. It is important for you to talk to your consultant about your concerns, and if you feel as if you would like a 2nd opinion or clarification as to his reason for saying no, that maybe worth a thought.

If you would like a chat please give us a ring on the Helplines: 0808 800 4050 (Monday-Friday 10am-4pm)

Best wishes
    Lynda

Hi Dave
    I think fusion is offered as they know it works
    My orthopaedic consultant saw me regarding fusion/ joint replacement of my toes
    He was very honest with me saying joint replacements for toes are still fairly new and he could not give me a guarantee that they work as not enough had been performed and as new there was not enough evidence to support they work he had done some and success was good but not sure how long they last thinks he's only done them for four years so long term success is not yet known and might have to have toe fused at a later date I chose fusion and not looked back just had my 2nd 3rd 4th toes fused 6 days ago and apart from some post op discomfort the pain has gone
    I'm assuming its the same for finger joints I have nodal arthritis in my fingers and yes they are very painful and disfigured but still work and not sure if I would go down the joint replacement just yet until more is known how effective they are
    Saying all this at the end of the day it's your choice and should be offered joint replacement the consultant is only there to offer you advice not tell you what you can and can't do
    My consultant always says its my choice and if I had wanted joint replacement in my toes he would have done it maybe it would be worth asking for a 2nd opinion or at least his reason for saying no
    Dear me that was long winded
    What I'm saying is at the end of the day it's your choice not his
    Best wishes
    Maria[/quote]