Hello

gerrymob
gerrymob Member Posts: 7
edited 17. Jun 2013, 16:44 in Say Hello Archive
I joined in the last half hour looking for answers.

My Name is Gerry, I am 71 years old and live in Swansea, South Wales. I checked the site and was surprised thst there is no support group in the city.

I have recently been diagnosed with arthritis in the shoulders, I believe the doctor said osteo. I shall ask him to confirm this.

Went to the Physio as recommended by GP, Physio said he couldn't help with arthritis but gave me exercises for my neck pain as it was due to posture?

I sshall spend some time going through the forums to try and glean as much information as I can, this is all news to me.

I shall visit the site as often as possible and hopefully make some intelligent additions to the converstaion.

Best wishes

Gerry

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Gerry, it's lovely to meet you but I am sorry that you have had to find us. I have osteo arthritis plus an auto-immune sort - it's all very uncomfy, isn't it? It's good your GP is aware of it, physio is important (as is keeping up with the exercises once the sessions end) and apart from that there is also pain relief and maybe an anti-inflammatory too. We on here know what it's like living with this condition, how trying and frustrating it can be and you are not alone in having shoulder trouble. I wish you well and look forward to seeing your name here and there around the boards. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • gerrymob
    dreamdaisy

Many thanks for your superfast reply to my hello .

The last six months have not been too kind to me regarding my health although compared to most people I am normal. In my 71st year , having had 70 years of good health, no aches or pains, no colds etc what with the arthritis I have been disgnosed with the lung disease COPD. It is not too extreme, I use an inhaler twice a day. Will I get back to those long road runs with my old athletic club?

Best wishes

Gerry
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm usually about, I tend to tune in here when I am resting.

I can't and won't lie Gerry, no, I don't think you will be able to get back to running. If you've got so far with little health troubles then you are one lucky lad but I know it will be hard to accept that there are going to be things that you can no longer manage. Running is a very high-impact form of exercise on the leg joints - cycling is far gentler so how's about trying that? We had a chap on here earlier this year who had a new knee (in February I think) and is now back to riding his bike - whether he is able to do the long-distance stuff as yet I don't know because he no longer posts (obviously we are no longer of any use to him :wink: ).

My OA resulted due to the joint damage caused by my other arthritis, that began when I was 37. In the past 17 years I've lost the ability to do many things (dancing, cycling, hiking, walking hand-in-hand with my husband and my work) but at least I can still get out and about. That counts (well, that's what I tell myself :lol:) DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Gerry, I owe you an apology. :oops: I confused you with another 'newbie' who posted on LWA (the Living with Arthritis part of the forum). It's too late to delete my second reply so please do your best to ignore it and I hope you will give me another chance. :oops:

Right, a creaky shoulder shouldn't affect your running as such but I guess there is some repetetive movement involved which could aggravate matters - only you will be able to tell whether it's manageable or not. As regarding the breathing well, I too use inhalers and they help me (but I had chronic asthma in the days before those little beauties existed).

Once again, I apologise. I feel very embarassed and utterly stupid. :oops: DD
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi Gerry

Welcome to the forums, you have come to a great place , there are a lot of great people on here with loads of knowledge, I myself have OA in my hands and had a finger fusion done last year and looks as if I am heading down the surgery road again.

About your running why don't you ask your physio they are the ones trained to tell you what you can and can't do, I used to run myself to keep fit until my neurological condition worsened and I had to give it up, post any time you like, hope to see you around..................Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello and welcome from me too, Gerry. I think, if yours is just in your shouldera, the likelihood is that it's OA. Your G P or physio can tell you. I think, the physio might have meant that he couldn't get rid of the arthritis. I do shoulder exercises to help keep my muscles :roll: as strong as possible as then they support the joint which helps.

I'm sorry about the COPD. I use an inhaler for mild asthma.

I hope we'll see you around the other forums.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Gerry
    And a warm welcome form me, you will find lots of info on the forum and get support in the process...I have OA and its just appeared in one shoulder so I do feel for you.
    Hopefully we will here more form you very soon..take care
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • McKay32
    McKay32 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Gerry i am also new here and it is nice to meet everyone here.
  • gerrymob
    Many thanks for all your messages of advice, gratefully received.

One question.

I have neck pain, is that anything to do with the arthritis?

Another question.

Does /Has anyone use/d a particular diet to limit the effects of arthritis?

I look forward to your replies.

Peace

Gerry
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Hi Gerry;

I have an inflammatory arthritis, not OA but I do have arthritis in my neck.

To answer your question, it could be. Sometimes because of muscles going into spasm around an arthritic joint, like a shoulder, it can cause pain in your neck. Did the physio do anything at your visit that relieved the pain? You can also have OA in the neck, were the doctors able to assess that for you?

My arthritis is in my upper back and at the base of my skull, as well as too many other joints!. As it's gone along, my posture has become terrible. I'm a hunchback, which puts more curve in the "S" curve of the neck and leads to pain. It's a constant battle to keep the muscles there strong, but I find the least painful way to exercise in in the swimming pool. When I was able to, I found Tai Chi was great for helping me gently stay mobile and fit.

Best of luck to you.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello again, Gerry. As Boomer13 said, the neck pain might, or might not, be arthritis. You need to ask the doc.

As for diet - it's a question that comes up regularly and, although some of us swear by some things and others by others :roll: the only recommended diet is, I believe, a normal healthy one.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    I agree with stickywicket on the diet issue.

I believe there is some evidence that dietary sources of omega-3 fatty acids are good for joints (anti-inflammatory). Manly this is cold-water fish and some oils. I think canola, walnut, olive are good sources. Omega-6 fatty acids are touted now as "pro-inflammatory" as are saturated fats. Also, resveratrol in red grapes is supposed to have anti-inflammatory effects, as do all foods rich in antioxidants, ie fresh/frozen fruits and veggies. Of course all these are best obtained through a healthy diet, not tablets. Unfortunately there don't seem do be any diet miracles although, I do know of a few people who swear they have found foods that help, or worsen their symptoms. I personally have not.

Because cartilage does not have a blood supply, it receives nutrients, and dispells wastes, from the joint fluid and surrounding tissues. From what I've read, this is maximized by gentle movement of the joints every day. It follows that it's also important to drink lots of water.

Someone else may come along with other diet advice but I try to stick to the healthy diet method.