Pram/pushchair recommendation

Options
emmaholl
emmaholl Member Posts: 18
edited 9. Jul 2009, 17:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I'm due to have my baby in April so am now starting to think about type of pram/pushchair to buy. I live in London so something lightweight and compact that is suitable for a newborn is what I will need.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Emma

Comments

• lennina
    lennina Member Posts: 1
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    OHHH my favourite subject!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm a pushchair fanatic, sad i know! Just looking for one atm for my 2 yr old who has juvenile arthritis.
    Well my advice is the following....
    Quinny Zapps are really light but you'd need the car seat to go on the base to make at from birth as you prob know plus they are light and v small...
    Mutsy spider is really nice (getting one of these myself!) But again you need the car seat to make it from birth...
    If you really want to flash the cash a Jane powertrack is fab had one of these for when she was little they are so light considering they are quite spacious for the baby!
    Ok will stop there i could go on but you'd prob get bored! Wow i need a hobby lol.
    Hope this helps, did you have any type a pushchair in mind particularly?
    Take care and good luck with the pregnancy hope it goes/is going smoothly!
    Nina xx
  • emmaholl
    Options
    Hi Nina

Thanks for your reply.
    I have been looking at the Quinny Buzz but getting a bit confused as different shops state that puschair is suitable from birth or 6months and car seat only for a couple of hrs use. There is also a carrycot but really want to limit amount of stuff we have.
    There is also a new one, the Bugaboo Bee which is v. light 7.7kg, suitable from birth and collapses in one piece which is available from Feb and relativiely inexpensive compared to other Bugaboo's.
    I will look into the makes you have suggested too!
    The pregnancy is going well. My disease seems to have gone into remission. All I have is a bit of hip pain due to putting on weight I think.
    I hope your 2yr old is not suffering with their condition. That's so young. I was 19 when diagnosed and thought that was tough.
    Thanks again!
    Emma xxx
  • bryan_s
    bryan_s Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi.
    We bought a Quinny Buzz with a Maxi Cosi seat and easyfix base for the car.
    The seat can be used directly from the car onto the pram, simply click it on and away you go. You will need the pram part for the first 5-6 months.
    The Buzz is really nippy and a bit trendy so I'm told.
    On the down side its a bit tricky collapsing it as there are two catches, both of which require a bit of thumb action.
    It is dead easy to open up though due to the hydraulic action.
    Would I get one again?
    Well its ok but I'm sure that our money could have given us a bit more value.
  • emmaholl
    Options
    Hi Brian

Thanks for that. I think there is probably not a perfect one out there that suits all needs but will have to go for the one that meets most needs. The best thing is to keep trying them out in the shops!

Hope you are well. Your little one must be getting bigger now. How is it going?

Emma
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    good topic - I've been thinking about this too - not due til June but want to think about it whilst I'm still light on my feet!!
    I already finding traipsing round the shops a bit of a drag, RA & pregnancy not being the best combination at the moment.

Any other baby product recommendations also welcome ...particularly worried about bathing, especially once hubby goes back to work after his 2wks leave are over,(b4 u recommend, kitchen sink is too high - i'm only tiny)....any recommendations or tips very much welcome

I've managed to adapt very well over the years but a bit worried about somebody else relying on me!!!! I think the holiday period gave me too much time to think about it ;)
    Many thanks
    C
  • bryan_s
    bryan_s Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi.
    Thanks for asking.
    Martha or Martha Moo to give her her full name (along with Sausage and Stinker Tinker) is attempting to teeth although she is a star sleeping through 12 hours every night... for now anyway.
    She is 6 months old and is starting to take a lot more interest in her surroundings. She starts at nursery on Monday so fingers crossed!
    Chrissie- we bought a bath cradle thing from Mothercare so that baby can lie in it safe and secure. It seemed to be pretty good and I would recommend it.
  • emmaholl
    Options
    Lucky you Bryan with the 12 hr sleeps! Good luck for Nursery!

Chrissie, I shall also be getting a bath cradle as I think it will leave me with hands free to wash baby etc and means I can straighten up and have a stretch knowing baby is fully supported. Also fairly inexpensive & space saving!
    Off for another browse at pushchairs today. Have seen another new one in a magazine - Maxi Cosi Mura. So hope to check that out..................
  • tontoroger
    tontoroger Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi this is a message for Emma! Forgive me for totally changing the subject. This is my first time at having a go on the discussion forum and if you're still needing help/suggestions with prams am willing to help as I have an 18 mth old baby and have gone through various prams. However, I was reading previously all the comments on fashionable but comfortable shoes and it gets me mad that as soon as you mention 'wide' fitting shoes you get something from the dark ages. I noticed you mentioned Camper which I've had a look on the website but couldn't see how to order or what widths/sizes they did and also UGG. Which I've had a look at, would love a pair but once again given their price would like to know its the right boot to order. Ideally would like boots in this weather. Have just undergone surgery so foot is still quite tender and swollen and am living in crocs but as we're in January would love to look stylish and warm like my 'young' friends!! Any advice help anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
  • emmaholl
    Options
    Hi Tonto
    Uggs are unbelievably designed for use as a surf boot coming from Austrailia and designed to also keep feet cool without need for socks! I tried mine which are black with no socks and ended up with black feet!
    They are really comfortable. Mine cost £90 from internet and are mid-calf (tall). Make sure you do get correct size as if too big your foot will work hard to keep it on. I'm a 51/2 and have a UK6 (states W7 in boot). I have wide feet and have had swollen ankles and they have been great. As there is no zip you do have to flex your ankle abit to get it in. I also need help from hubby to pull them off now I'm getting bigger. I would definitely recommend getting a pair!
    As for campers - I'm still wearing boots and shoes & sandals I bought 4, 5 & 7 years ago! A lot of the designs are round toes which are perfect for wide feet. Again I order a 6 (39) in the shoe/boot although I have one size 6 boot that is too big and needs 2 pairs socks and a pair of shoes that are a 5 (38) that I just can not tolerate breaking in as they squeeze my toes!
    I tried them on before buying and did not realise this at the time! They do not do half sizes though. They are really well made shoes and well worth the cost.
    As for pushchairs, we tried a few out yesterday.My wrist really hurt after. they are all difficult initially. Which type/s do you recommend?
    Good luck with your foot healing you poor thing. Must ne tough with a toddler!

Emma x
  • tontoroger
    Options
    Emma, thank you sooooo much for getting back so quickly....All your info very much appreciated. I have just tried contacting Camper on their website and I must be jinxed at the moment because my messages won't go!!!! AAAARGH. Some of their boots looked wonderful, I would so like to get my mitts on a pair of those, just need to make sure wide enough. You bought yours in London you say? Have you ever tried buying via t'internet??????
    Uggs sound good too. Someone mentioned they do a pair with a zip, have you heard of those? My ankles are still quite flexible but I always have trouble getting in/out of boots (this is where the hubbies come in handy yes?!)

Pushchairs. I love pushchairs but they change so quickly. When we had our third child 2006 we invested in a Loola. Its certainly not the lightest on the market but by far one of the easiest to assemble. My hands and wrists are quite bad and I wanted to feel independent!! SO i can manage this one, not so easy lifting it up, but don't suppose we can have it all. I found that a lot of the prams you have to have several pairs of hands holding this whilst pushing that phew, too much like hard work but would suggest you check it out. As a stroller I have an old Maclaren Techno which has been great but the Loola is bit more padded out. I fancied a JANE but when I got to the shop and tried to dismantle it was nigh impossible, same for the quinny buzz, they looked great and mod, but weren't practical for me.......How exciting though, isn't it a nice problem to have!
    Tonto x
  • emmaholl
    Options
    Hi Tonto
    Any joy with Camper yet? I bought a few of them in Spain and I think they are less expensive there. Have not tried the internet so good luck to you!

Have not heard of uggs with zips. They sound great. I have a pair of boots that are tall and slim fit with no zip. They are a nightmare getting on/off when hands are bad or swollen ankles. I have not actually worn them much this winter because of that!

Still on the puschair trials. Will have a look at the Loola. Almost feel we need a couple of different one's to meet all our needs.

Any more baby equipment you can recommend?

Emma x
  • tontoroger
    Options
    Hia Emma, thank you v. much for replying. Sorry not checked message earlier, am v. new to this and not quite got the hang of forum! WILL WORK ON IT!!!!!! NO, no joy with Camper yet. Had look on website and phoned couple places but they no longer stock them. Apparently they're not actualy WIDE Fitting are they just that they might be wider than the norm? Is that right. Would be nice if someone has actually bought them via website could give some info (ANYONE???!) ALSO on the subject of the UGGS. Getting v. confused as to which is the right website to order from because several friends have bought, some from shops (too expensive pour moi!) AND OTHErs from sites, but don't think they're all from the original UGG Shop, can I be cheeky and ask which site you bought yours from? Getting there SLOWLY though!
    On the pram front, yeah I wonder if there is such a pram that covers it all. I find the Loola great for putting together taking apart but can be heavy for the lifting in/out of car... strollers are great we also have a Maclaren Techno which has been ideal but not as padded out as t he Loola.... Baby equipment?? We did have a bath that went over the top of the bath, save you bending right down, but only up to a certain age of course. Wouldn't have been without one of the baby bath seats, type you can lie baby down on, plastic solid thing it was! We have as a high chair one that fits on the chair as I was always tripping over the old high chair and that reclines so if baby nods off during meal! NO PROBLEM, WELL obviously make sure they've finished eating first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cot wise we had it right by the bed initially and open one side so after feeding just put little un back into cot, that saved the old tootsies for a while! ANYWAY, talking of little ones shes awake! KEEP ME POSTED HOW YOU GET ON...................... CHEERS MANDY X
  • emmaholl
    Options
    Hi mandy

Shame about Camper. They are not specially made wide shoes but much wider rounder toes than many other shoes.
    My sister got the Uggs & i bought them from her. Not sure which e-bay provider (think it was USA one). I also saw a pair og UGG type boots in Russel & Bromley for @ £100. Not sure which make but they looked really nice & perhaps there is one near you? Most high Streets seem to have one. I also live & die in trainers (Puma, Adidas, Converse). Not the chunky sporty types but flat sole one's! They are usually wider if you get a size up and can be made wider with laces loosened!
    We have narrowed it down to the Bugaboo Bee and Maclaren XLR! I think the Bugaboo is more aesthetically pleasing! The colours of that Maclaren are a bit dodgy, Also worried about managing foot levers with sandals on! Both weigh @ 7kg and fold in one piece (the maclaren slightly easier! and considerably cheaper but what the hell? I'll be using it everyday!) Both can be used in recline from birth so will result in less equipment!
    Got one of those shaped moulded things that goes in bath & leaves hands free & able to give back a stretch!
    Alos got a moses basket - really seems real now. Am so excited - hard to get to sleep at night!
    Good luck with the shoe hunt. Will be Spring before you know it & a whole new ball game!
  • cthornley
    Options
    Emma

just wondered how you got on with the pram search.....we just bought ours last weekend

We settled on the bugaboo bee - mainly because its so light & adjustable (& it fits in my tiny car), its a bit on the expensive size but it was one of the few ones i could actually pick up & manoever, as so many are really heavy

you must be excited now, as you must nearly be there , how are you coping?

best wishes
    Chrissie
  • emmaholl
    Options
    Hi Chrissie
    I'm not sure what happened but I have not been alerted to messages on here so sorry for delay!
    It's great to hear you got the bee! We did too! Last weekend! Baby not here yet so can only whizz around with it empty! I'm really pleased with it! Have been able to put it up & down with no help! I think it's a really good choice.
    Baby due 13th April. Very excited and coping really well. And you?

Emma x
    cthornley wrote:
    Emma

just wondered how you got on with the pram search.....we just bought ours last weekend

We settled on the bugaboo bee - mainly because its so light & adjustable (& it fits in my tiny car), its a bit on the expensive size but it was one of the few ones i could actually pick up & manoever, as so many are really heavy

you must be excited now, as you must nearly be there , how are you coping?

best wishes
    Chrissie
  • cthornley
    Options
    Ooo really close for you then
    yep i love the bee too can't wait for mine to arrive

I'm ok, just about coping with being sore & pregnant
    only thing is that i'm huge and i've still got 11 wks to go
    Apparently it might be because of the steroids that i'm quite so big , they are giving me a scan at 34 wks to check exactly how big and to help decide how baby is coming out ( they are concerned about its size and my poorly hips :? )
    It all feels so real now the various baby bits and bobs are arriving, just trying to arrange some help for after the baby arrives as all our family lives miles away
    Anyway let us know how it goes - thinking of you

Chrssie
  • emmaholl
    Options
    Hi

I also had a scan recently to check growth as on steroid. They estimated it at 6.8lbs (37 weeks). So an OK size I hope. Was good to have a scan so late to reassure us no problems.
    Have been told no problems for a straightforward birth. My hips do not open that far but they have asked me to open my legs when sitting and said that's enough. I'm opting for a water pool for labour and probably birth as will support my joints hopefully. Will probably lean on a birthing ball too if not in water as find that pretty comfortable with padding under knees. Not once has a C section been suggested and I thought it might have been. They suggest I remain upright & moving as long as possible and will not be on my back with legs open as seen in movies! Do you have much damage/limitation in your hips then?
    Our family are not local either so it's all taking a bit of last minute planning for when to have them visit at right time.

Well good luck with scan & everything & keep me posted too!

Emma x

cthornley wrote:
    Ooo really close for you then
    yep i love the bee too can't wait for mine to arrive

I'm ok, just about coping with being sore & pregnant
    only thing is that i'm huge and i've still got 11 wks to go
    Apparently it might be because of the steroids that i'm quite so big , they are giving me a scan at 34 wks to check exactly how big and to help decide how baby is coming out ( they are concerned about its size and my poorly hips :? )
    It all feels so real now the various baby bits and bobs are arriving, just trying to arrange some help for after the baby arrives as all our family lives miles away
    Anyway let us know how it goes - thinking of you

Chrssie
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Bumping this up for Jenzie
    E x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.