Help Please............

natbabe1980
natbabe1980 Member Posts: 7
I don't know where else to go or who to talk to but I feel like I am going to have a breakdown.

I have recently been diagnosed with RA and have just been transferred to the injectable form of methotrexate. I feel like my body is just shutting down, I can deal with the pain ( sort of!) but this tirednedss and feeling of being run down is just overwhelming me and I can't function even to do the most basic things. I should be in work today but can't cope when I am there. I have mouth sores, blisters between my legs and my body feels bruised all over.

I have told my gp who gave me tramadol as I didn't have any strong painkillers and then he said rheumatoid arthritis can just come and go and not to worry.

I told my consultant last week and he thinks there may be another disease underlying so more blood tests on Thursday.......... but I can't cope and I feel like I am going mad, crying constantly.

I rang my nurse this morning and left a message for them to call me back but I don't even know if I should be going to them with all of this.

I need help so badly x

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear natbabe,

Thank you for your post to Helpines. I'm sorry to hear that things are difficult right now. If you feel as though having a chat might help you'd be very welcome to ring us on our freephone. If you we are busy, do leave a message and we'll call you back (we can only ring back landlines for reasons of cost, but our freephone should be free from mobiles too.)

The fatigue you mention can be a feature of rheumatoid arthritis. I really appreciate that can be very draining. If your arthritis is not well controlled at the moment it may be necessary to take things gently - but how that squares with modern life is the sixty four thousand dollar question...

If you'd like to be listened to, you can talk to us here. Also other forum members can be a really important support. We are not medically qualified. We won't try and suggest that there are quick fixes for everything, but having people to listen and understand can be something.

I hope we can help.

Kind regards

Guy
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You are not ‘going mad’, natbabe1980, but you are going through a very difficult time, both physically and emotionally.

Unlike Guy, I’m just an ordinary forum member but I do endorse what he said about forum members being a good source of support and I think, if you re-post this on the Living With Arthritis forum, you get lots of sympathy and empathy and encouragement.

All of us have, at one time or another, been through these horrible days of suddenly being bombarded with the disease itself, the pain and the overwhelming fatigue, possible side-effects of meds that maybe haven’t properly kicked in yet plus all the emotional stress that goes with it. You, like us, will come out the other end and we’ll be there to support you through the whole draining process.

I was diagnosed while at school and, for my exams, could only go in when I actually had one. Mine did actually come and go for a while – but then it came and stayed :roll: However, once your meds start working properly (and that can be a bit of a trial and error thing as what suits one doesn’t necessarily suit another) you’ll find everything easier to deal with. It sounds as if your consultant is on the ball and that’s a good thing.

I certainly think you should tell the nurse about the mouth sores and blisters as they might be due to the methotrexate.

Try googling The Spoon Theory. It a way of explaining the extreme fatigue that affects us.

Things will get better and we’ll be here until that happens.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, I'm another forum member and I echo both Guy and Sticky. Getting the meds sorted to the right dosage levels (and right combination too) can take time (and needs a lot of patience from us) but until that happens life can be a real trial. I reckon a fair few of us on the forum have been through exactly what you are facing so, please, post again on the Living with Arthritis board on here so we can talk to you.

Take care and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Natbabe

I am a member of the forum and wished to reply after reading your thread. It would be a good idea to pick up the phone and talk to a member of the helplines and also as others have suggested post on the Living withArthritis forum. Even if others cannot help you will get lots of support. Just knowing that you are not alone with all this can help immensely.

It does sound, like your consultant says, that something else could be going on too. I am no medic but some of your symptoms do mimic an underactive thyroid. At least if you have the blood tests things can be ruled out.

I see no reason at all why you should not inform your nurse what is going on with you. I do hope you are called back and if not, do persevere and call again. That is their job and many on here praise the nurse that they get in touch with and find them most helpful.

I hope you feel a little better very soon,

Gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • natbabe1980
    natbabe1980 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

I can't thank you enough for all the kind support you have shown........ to know I am not alone in this means so much. :)

My nurse called me in straight away due to nearly having a breakdown on the phone!! She was great so helpful and reassured me this is normal and I am having a very bad flare and need to rest rest rest!! I have been signed off work for a few weeks to recover. I had an appointment with my GP after seeing the nurse and they have given me a course of oral steroids and they want to start me on some anti depressants next week, as I have a history of post natal depression and don't want to get to that stage again. My methotrexate has also been reduced from 15mg to 12.5 as I was so ill.

Anyway things are still tough today but I am more hopeful now than ever and your support has been truly appreciated.

Gentle hugs to you all xxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's good to hear from you again. I was put onto a low dose of anti-deps by my GP when my OA was diagnosed. I fully intended these to be a short-term thing but my rheumatologist disagreed, her reasoning being that if I am mentally better I can manage the pain and life better. She's right. I take 20mg of Citalopram per day and am happy so to do. They help. Keep posting, natbabe, have a look at the LWA part of the forum and you will see that you are not alone with this. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Good morning Nat,

So happy for you that you are feeling better than you did when you posted. It is good to talk and share as you found out. You can also call the nurse when you wish which must be reassuring too.

Do join us on the LWA forum, if you feel like it, you will be welcomed and it does help. ;)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It's good to see you back and definitely good to hear you are more hopeful. This arthritis business gets us all down from time to time but it sounds as if you now have some help and a plan. Plans are good :D Please keep us in the loop. I hope it all works out well for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright