Head lice

tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 5. Jul 2013, 06:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've just discovered head lice on my Son. He has eczema and had been complaining about itching for over a week, he even had a hair cut last Monday, but today I found the little blighters crawling in his hair plus lots of eggs behind his ears.

There are plenty of treatment options but have any of you found anything effective before I spend a fortune? Anyone tried the electric comb?

all the best
Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I wouldn't advise you to use the shampoos, the chemicals in them are much too harsh. My daughter, many moons ago, kept getting re infected, due to one poor child who's parents didn't bother. I used a herbal shampoo, and a steel comb every day, as soon as she came home.
    I have never tried an electric comb, but a friend, who was a primary school teacher, with very long hair, swore by hers.
    Good luck, I hope the problem is resolved soon.
    Numpty
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I don't think there's any need to spend out - applying an el cheapo conditioner and combing it through with a fine-toothed metal comb should do the trick - as will letting his hair get dirty. Lice like clean scalps. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Oh boy, it doesn't seem that long ago for me dealing with the little blighters.
    I always used tea tree shampoo and separate conditioner and as DD said a nit comb while leaving the conditioner in. It does really help. And I used Tesco's own brand of Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner.

Good luck.
    Karen xx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Tea tree oil is insecticide. You could add one drop to the shampoo you use. My sister found tea tree shampoo in the pound shop and her daughter said she found the lice in the bath after using it while in the shower.
    Christine
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Have to agree that tea tree oil works best, the cheap tea tree shampoos are just as effective.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    I find that combing with a nit comb and getting all the eggs out it might take a few goes..is the only way..some of the shampoos are not very safe...then you can use the Ttree shampoo to keep them away
    Good Luck Elizabeth x
    Ps there is a good comb on the net that has little wider bits half way down I will try and find a link
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    Thank you ladies. Will try the tea tree oil if not too expensive, conditioner and comb. I don't mind the hard work as I used to enjoy de-fleaing my cat.

He has exams all week so hope the itching doesn't put him off.
    Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I consider myself to be a bit of an environmentalist, but used an evil super strong chemical c/o my favourite pharmacist :oops:

3 girls - long hair.......I hope everyone can see how I had too :?

THEN once got rid of the tea tree for many years as they don't like it - the headlice I mean.

Good luck Elizabeth. I would see the pharmacist in your case for definite because of the eczema

Love

Toni xxx
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Hi Elizabeth

Conditioner and a comb is the best way to go , I used to shave teds hairs off as he is a boy , But daniella i used to sit with the old nit comb poor kid was always coming home with nits as the other parents did not bother to treat their youngsters :roll: .

Good luck

Karen xxx
  • tkachev
    OH has taken control so it looks like nit comb and nasty strong shampoo.

I'm also worried about my daughter's long hair Toni and you might remember the knot problem I had with her which has never been fully resolved.

Done some boil washing of clothes, towels and bedding ready for the massacre after school.

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope it goes smoothly, Tkachev, without any tears or tantrums. I also hope you have something soothing for his scalp after the treatment. DD
  • fowls48
    tkachev wrote:
    OH has taken control so it looks like nit comb and nasty strong shampoo.

I'm also worried about my daughter's long hair Toni and you might remember the knot problem I had with her which has never been fully resolved.

Done some boil washing of clothes, towels and bedding ready for the massacre after school.

Elizabeth x
    The conditioner will take care of the knots , just plster the conditioner into the hair and start combing .
  • tkachev
    Yuk! Horrible stuff but no tears and tantrums thankfully. I applied lots of conditioner after it was washed out. Unfortunately it has to be repeated in 7 days :cry:

Fowls her knots are very well established and in places her hair is matted. Whenever we clear it she lets it get knotty again.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    I am pleased that the first session went OK - let's hope it will do the trick especially with the back-up of the future one. I empathise with your daughter - I used to have long hair and I didn't enjoy having it de-tangled by my mum at all. Things became kinder on that front when she discovered conditioner, something we all take for granted now but back in my young days I don't think it existed. DD
  • fowls48
    Hi Tkatchev

My daniella has really tight ginger curls and the hair is very thick , now she is older she uses the straighteners on her hair .But i do suggest to use lots of conditioner in every wash and keep her hair tied back when she goes to school .As we all know nits like clean hair , and using the conditioner will keep the hair slippery and the eggs will not be able to cling .
    I wish you all the best .Its not nice when your kids bring nits home i was devastated as daniella caught them from my brothers daughter :shock:
  • tkachev
    My eldest child is 29 so had many years of school but never any head lice before so it was quite a shock! My 2nd Son is constantly bringing letters home about outbreaks of head lice and instructions on what they look like and how to deal with them yet still I never realised my 1st Son had them especially as he has eczema and a constant red mark on the back of his neck.

My daughter doesn't have her hair washed very often because she is upset about the knots and brushing trauma but when I do I use tons of the' kangaroo bottle brand' conditioner because of the knots.

I'm just hoping its killed them all off.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Hi Elizabeth

You have suffered with your poor daughter's hair for ages and the kangaroo brand is not cheap :roll:

If it's any consolation Charley at 18 now (when did that happen?) Is almost on top of her hair such a relief.

My fingers are crossed that this is the last you see of those horrible creatures

Love

Toni xxx
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Hello everyone
    When my kids were young i used to regularly use nit comb and conditioner, use a preventative spray and when they did have head lice i would use hedren as safe for asthmatics too!.......You can get lotions on prescription. I dont know why every parent didnt just use hedren,non chemical, the last week in AUgust then everyone should start off with clear heads, lol!
    p.s. apart from some lotions not being suitable for asthmatics it can also be an issue using tea tree
  • fowls48
    Hi Elizabeth

I just used too use a super market brand of conditioner , plaster it in the hair and then comb it out with the special comb and rinse , How awful for you ,you have my symphathies , but you have to keep it up untill the little blighters have gone .And as i said before if the other parents are not treating their kids it can be a big problem .Also the nits get used to the products which you are purchasing , so thats why we did it with conditioner .

karen xx
  • tkachev
    Hi Oneday,It is hedren I used and it felt horrible. Is it not chemical then? It felt very tingly and uncomfortable.

Toni she is 9 and a half so hoping she will start to take better care of herself but I find myself nagging all the time about hair and teeth and homework! Kangaroo bottle stuff is expensive but found it really good but I know I can get cheaper stuff which is just as good.

I can only hope they are not immune to hedren Fowls.

It is only 3 weeks until the start of the Summer hols so I might have to do some heavy hair cutting.
    E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Oh E :(

Really Charley took till she was about 16 till she started REALLY taking care of her hair - now she's in the shower all the time :roll:

You stick to what you and she are happy with.

You know I like that idea of oneday's EVERYONE doing their kids hair last week of August!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    frogmorton wrote:
    Oh E :(

Really Charley took till she was about 16 till she started REALLY taking care of her hair - now she's in the shower all the time :roll:

You stick to what you and she are happy with.

You know I like that idea of oneday's EVERYONE doing their kids hair last week of August!!

Love

Toni xxx

I like that idea too. May be the schools should suggest that everybody is treated and no one must come back with head lice. Can you imagine the price of treatment shooting up every July/August :roll:

I am hoping Lucy will want to take care of her hair asap. What with all her stomach issues still ongoing she needs to take a bit more interest in herself!

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    ....and the kids can't go in without evidence they were treated :D

I hope your Lucy does do that Elizabeth. MY Lucy was nothing like Charley she was really good at hers by about 10/11 so there is hope :wink:

Imagine the price of lice treatments going up in July August :lol:
  • tkachev
    Haha my Lucy is nothing like my Charlie either! My Char doesn't even like to dye her hair.

E xxx

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Two opposite Elizabeth like mine :D

Good names you chose there :lol:

Love

Toni xxx