In need of advice!

Options
misst
misst Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Jun 2013, 18:53 in Young people's community
I am 22 yrs old and have been suffering with pain around my hips since the age of 13. I have only recently over the past 12 months (and after multiple visits to GP, physiotherapists visits and an x-ray) found out I have osteoarthritis in my sacroiliac joints. I am in pain when I walk more often than not, sometimes the pain is so bad that I either lose my step or have to stop until the pain lessens. Most of the time I experience pain at least once a day through doing one thing or another. To make things even more difficult I have a 13 month old daughter so it is hard for me to take it easy when i'm in pain.

Is there anything I can do to help ease the discomfort? And would I be classed as disabled?
Will I suffer with this for the rest of my life or will it go away over time ?

I must also add I am slightly overweight but I am trying to lose weight in the hope it will help.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello miist. It's good to meet you. I' m afraid, as you've discovered, arthritis can strike young as well as old. Mine is mostly RA. I had it before I had my sons and it was very difficult when they were young. Things that might help are exercises to keep the supporting muscles strong, pain relief, maybe a steroid jab, distraction feom the pain and, in the final analysis, surgery. I have two hip replacements and both are great.

X-rays might show the extent of the damage.

'Disabled'isn't an official term. If you regard yourself as disabled then you are disabled. It doesn't actually mean much though.

I think you'll get more answers if you copy this thread to the Living With Arthritis forum as more people look in on there.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright