Diclofenac v Narproxen ?

mouseymousey
mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
edited 11. Jul 2013, 06:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, My diclofenac's (10 years + of taking) have been changed to Narproxen.
What is your view of the change please? I'm thinking this will happen nationwide too. A quick scan through the net isn't very impressive as the Narp seems to be for 'period pain'. I know the NHS & gp's are cutting costs, but how does this impact on pain control. Thanks for any/all replies.
Edit - sorry I've mis spelt it; here's what the net says:-
They are both chemically different NSAIDs, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Diclofenac is the stronger analgesic. Although naproxen is now sold over the counter in some period pain preparations, doctors rarely use it to deal with pain, concentrating on using it for it's anti-nflammatory properties. Diclofenac though a good anti-inflammatory is used more as a pain killer.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    About five years ago I was changed to Naproxen by my GP as it was cheaper for him to prescribe two pills (nap and omeprazole for protection) than just the Celebrex that the hospital wanted me to take. I liked Celebrex, it did what it said it would do but the nap did not work for me (it gave me lovely oral thrush though!) I took myself off it in 2011, reasoning that there was no benefit and my consultant told me to ask my GP for another anti-inflammatory. In January I discovered diclofenac. It's lovely. It also does what it is meant to do. LIke all the meds mousey, some find benefit whilst others find nothing. I hope the nap works for you, that you tolerate it OK, and keep up with the omep/lanzap OK? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    I have been on Naproxen for a while now for the swelling in my knee. I have noticed a slight difference in the swelling but not much.

It is a lot better than taking Ibuprofen.

I have never taken Diclofenac.
  • Shooter
    Shooter Member Posts: 32
    I have very bad stomach ache with declofenic ok with naproxen
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hello mouseymousey

My NSIAD of "choice" has long been Diclo because, having tried most of the others in the past, it's the one which works best for me. I do have to be careful because of my stomach tho having taking it at max dose for many years without a stomach protector. Nowadays 3 or 4 days at 75mg is often my limit before my insides complain and I have to give it a rest (even with the Lanzoprazole). Definitely helps tho whereas Naproxen never did anything for me. In term of the quote from the net - seems a bit of a "sweeping statement" to me about the different uses - and I'm sure that the over the counter dose will be much smaller than the prescribed doses.

It does make me cross when docs change something which is working purely on cost grounds and on the assumption that one NSAID is as good as another - we all know that isn't true and that what works for some, does nothing for another. I have read recently that the risks associated with Diclo are considered to be higher than some of the other NSAIDs so that might influence the decisions of the docs too. If anyone tries to take my Diclo away, I will have a serious hissy fit. So there. :lol:

Tillyxxx
  • jaja
    jaja Member Posts: 135
    hi mousey....sorry to hear about the change of meds..hope doc didnt do it on cost grounds and that they will suit you...i sure you said you were ok on the diclo ? some people do have stomac probs on it ...and its not well known that you can get it as a suppository for the non squeemish!!!!.....hope it works out for you but dont be forced to change if its not your choice....Jaja
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    i have had diclofenac and didnt touch the sides!-naproxen more effective but doesnt take pain away totally although nothing does, just takes edge off.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    I have naproxen as an anti flam and it really works for me,cant say i thought of using it for pain,never had diclo will google it as i now know i am addicted to codeine and are slowly coming off it,so will need another pain med when i have finished with the codeine
  • smol
    smol Member Posts: 43
    My GP has told me (and I confirmed it on the net) that diclofenac is being phased out of general use cos it can cause heart attacks. It's good for causing stomach ulcers too. Both OH and I are now on naproxen and it seems to be doing the job :) Hope you all get decent relief in what ever pain killer/anti inflammatory you take
    Sarah

‎"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."- Edward Everett Hale
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I thought it would happen across the country and it seems it is.
    I got my diclo's back for the next prescription then I have the see the gp to get them re-instated.
    My pill regime isn't bad, but I do still get gaps when I need a hand. I was told to take more morphine and add 8 parcetamol, I've declined to do either. Its a personal thing, I just can't stand all the side effects and want to be awake some of the time.
    Next battle will be the DLA forms which are due soon - Hey ho!!
    Really interesting to hear everyone's experiences, and realise once in a while I'm not the only one.
  • mimiofdc
    mimiofdc Member Posts: 24
    I too made the switch from diclo to Naprox in the past year.

I changed due to stomach issues, and also felt I was developing some immunity to it. Funny thing, my doc said at the time, they didnt prescribe Naprox before Diclo beacues Naprox costs more.

Anyway, I take the version that comes with supplemental stomach pill, and also Lansoprazole to boot.

Naprox seems to be working as well as any at the moment. Hope it does for you too!
  • jan50ish
    jan50ish Member Posts: 47
    I changed from dichlofenic to naproxen about a year ago, about six weeks ago I decided to try and reduce the number of tabs that I take really to give my body a bit of a break. I started with the Naproxen as I thought they weren't doing much anyway. I was wrong and wrong bigtime, within a couple of days I was struggling to move...not through pain as such but because I was so stiff,and also the tingling and burning sensations in my hip were worse tenfold. I am back on them!
    Jan
  • superee
    superee Member Posts: 7
    I know Diclofenac works good as a painkiller especially if used in conjunction with 1 paracetamol. However, I have just been put on Naproxen - doctor said something to do with heart when used long term? Not certain. However, it is same as diclofenac and works well with 1 paracetamol I was told by GP, who I believe. He doesn't care about costs, just peoples health. Took me years to find decent doctors. Anyway, I haven't tried it yet, but will come back in future after trialing it. Pharmacy said Naproxen is a strong anti inflammatory, so should work as well as diclofenac.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello superee and welcome to the forum. I, too, found that both diclofenac and naproxen worked for me (though not at the same time :roll: ) I hope yours continues to help you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • superee
    Thank You for that lovely welcome to the forum. It feels good that I have somewhere to go that people obviously know and understand where you are coming from. I will let you know how I get on with the new meds. Thank You again and hope you are keeping well.
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello, I took naproxen plus omeprazole for a few years and didn't get anywhere with them. Now I have the omep with one diclo per day and that does make a difference. It doesn't lessen the pain levels but it does make the joints feel easier. I have two sorts of arthritis, an auto-immune and osteo. DD
  • AndyMaz
    AndyMaz Member Posts: 64
    My GP prescribed me Naproxen and that didn't work very well for me.

My rheumatologist prescribed diclofenac and omeprazole and it seems to do the trick, takes the edge off at least.

Happy with diclofenac. Got a cupboard full of the stuff.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I was on diclofenic...changed GP's and she put me on Naproxen....I asked why?
    Her reasoning was that Naproxen was better than Diclo as far as heart problems were concerned.
    Most anti inflamms. could cause heart problems but more so diclo {her words..not mine}
    To be honest I haven't found much difference in them....neither work very well although when I tried to reduce them I certainly felt it so was back on the prescribed dose

Love
    Hileena
  • sbolam
    sbolam Member Posts: 374
    I was put on naproxen when the swelling in my right knee got really bad, but it do nothing to help, was moved onto diclofenac and it does what it says on the tin sort of speak.. very good.
    04_pain.jpg
  • superee
    Hileena, what your doctor said about the anti inflammatory drugs causing heart problems was what my doctor said and why he chose to put me Narproxen. I am a bit overweight, so he was obviously worried about my heart. Although he was happy to learn I have lost almost 2 1/2 stones to help my health. I have just started the Narproxen so can't say how it compares to the diclofenac yet. However, I did like the diclofenac and paracetamol combination. I haven't been given the Omeprazol but will do if I start having stomach/indigestion problems. I know it works well for that as my partner takes it. I will give the Narproxen a chance, but after only a few days, can't judge yet. Fingers crossed though x
  • dreamdaisy
    The omep is vital - once stomach troubles start it's too late, the damage is done. Please go and see your GP about this, it's important. DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Supree
    Don't wait for the stomach problems to start......ask your GP for omneprozol or lansoprozol....{sp on bnoth of them ???? :wink: }
    Well done on losing that weight.

Love
    Hileena
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hello Mouseymousey
    I was on naproxen then I went to diclofenic after 5 years the doctor said I had to go on nave the naproxen as it caused heart problems I asked if I could have the naproxen liquid as I did before when I went to the chemist they had the tabs I have to see the doctor on Monday for a chat I think the liquid is more expensive.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • superee
    Thanks Hileena for your advice and for the comment on losing weight. I haven't been back to my GP yet about the omeprazole however, I don't feel the narproxen is as good as the diclofenac. I have been advised to ask for a referral to the pain clinic so they can find what is better for me. It's all trial and error I suppose. Anyway, hope everyone on here is doing well. Take care

Helen
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope you will soon see the GP, the stomach protector is very important no matter what the anti-inflammatory. I take one daily before my breakfast - if it's one problem that can be prevented then I will prevent it because I can't alter the rest. :wink: Take care. DD
  • superee
    I have to make an appointment for GP, so will make sure I get the omeprazole while I am still on the narproxen. Thanks DD for your advice. Everyone is so lovely and helpful on here. It's good to have somewhere to go for advice and support. Take care x