Methotrexate injections

RD92
RD92 Member Posts: 17
edited 11. Jan 2014, 12:00 in Young people's community
I've just got back from seeing the rheumatologist and we both decided that the next step in helping me with my arthritis as nothing else seems to be working would be medication. I don't particularly like taking medication unless I have too as everything I ever take I always get all the side effects which is what made me wary of methotrexate in the first place! But instead of taking the tablets she suggested the methotrexate injections instead, I was just wondering if anyone else on here is currently doing that already and how it goes? I know that it may work great for some people then not work for me but I think it would make me feel better if anyone could tell me anything about the injections or their experience of it so far?
Rosie :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I do mine and have done since January 2012 (prior to that I had to go to the hospital once a week which was a pain).

One of the reasons for switching to the injected stuff is you can take a smaller dose but still have the full effect - this is because the jabs by-pass the digestive system. I know that the jabs work well for some and hopefully you will be included in that number. The first one is always the hardest but after that, well, I don't find it an issue but then I am used to self-injecting (I did it with enbrel and now humira). Someone else has posted about this on the Living with Arthritis board, I think her name is Poppy7. Read her thread, that may also help you.

One thing to remember is that although side-effects are listed they are not guaranteed. You have experienced difficulties before but as you have not tried this it doesn't mean that they will continue. I always blithely assume that side-effects won't happen - one of the reasons for the close monitoring is that, if they do, steps can be taken.

One of the hardest things about an auto-immune arthritis is that it will require medication - us, as mere patients, can say 'no' but where does that get us? I think it's worth taking the meds because it's all about the quality of life one can have now (plus slowing the progress of the diesease). I learned that from another forum member. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    I havn't got any advice as I havn't taken this yet ( prob will be soon ) so just want to say good luck :). I have spoken to people who inject and it works well for them. let us know how you get on x
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi
    I'm heading that way I will be starting the injections end of July I can't wait
    The main reason is I haven't had any methotrexate for over a month due to my op and oh boy don't I know it
    Hope all goes well for you
    Maria
  • ryanbibb93
    ryanbibb93 Member Posts: 9
    Hi.

Methotrexate is a great drug indeed. But I agree, it has a lot of side effects. I started taking it at the age of about 14 orally. I found it horrible, I used to get worked up so much about it and it made me feel so sick.

I went onto injections about 2 years later and it helped a bit, I think mainly because it was a new thing, but after a few weeks I started to get the same feelings again. I then moved on to Humira which is awesome. However, that wasn't helping me that much by itself so 3/4 years after taking no Methotrexate and now being an adult, I decided to try it along with my Humira injection.

I have no problems at all with it now, I think it's just a phase that I went through and had to beat, which I have. I hope you don't get the physcological sickness side effects, but if you do I think you'll be able to over come them, as I did with time and patience.

Ryan
    Visit my website www.arthritisinyougnpeople.com for news on arthritis in young people, treatments, pain management techniques, natural remedies and a lot more!