mid twenties with arthritis

rustyryan
rustyryan Member Posts: 5
edited 3. Jul 2013, 10:34 in Young people's community
Hello my name is Rusty and I just joined. My reason for joining is I think I may have arthritis..the thing is I am only 24, will be 25 in August. I use a computer all day every day for work. I think this may be the cause. My right hand/wrist hurts terribly. I try switching off with my left hand to give my right a break but I am not very ambidextrous. I am so much faster when I use my right so its hard to take turns. I don't really know what to do as the pain seems to be getting worse each day. Suggestions? Thoughts? ANY feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Rusty

Have you been to see the doctor as you did not say .

Fowlsxx
  • rustyryan
    I have been to the doctors recently and let's just say my doc thinks I'm crazy..I tend to be some what of a hypochondriac..but this is serious. I am in pain right now as I am typing this.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Rusty. I'm not a doc and I'm not even a young person but I do have arthritis, both RA and OA.

Even if you are 'something of a hypochondriac', your GP shouldn't just dismiss your concerns. Something is clearly wrong. Did he give no explanation for your pain, or suggest anything you might do for it?

If it's just in your wrist/hand and you are at a keyboard most days, it sounds, to a complete laywoman, as if it might be repetitive strain injury which is not arthritis. However, you need a proper diagnosis from a qualified GP. If yours is unsympathetic maybe you could see another one in the practice. It needs to be treated whatever it is. A physio might be able to give you some exercises to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • KateRickwood
    KateRickwood Member Posts: 10
    When I first started having problems mine were exactly the same as yours and the doctors dismissed it as RSI and didn't do anything.

You have to keep going back other wise they will constantly dismiss it.

It took me over a year to get diagnosed, but just to know what it is, is a brilliant feeling! I'm nearly 19 now and my medication isn't sorted completely but you need to persist otherwise it'll get worse :(

With regards to work if you phone Access To Work they can do a work place assesment and get you in special equipment which will help!

Just keep persisting its not easy but its worth it :)
  • rustyryan
    Thank you! I really appreciate it. I will schedule an appointment with my doctor ASAP. I feel so stupid, I had NO idea that arthritis could affect people so young! I hope you get your medications sorted and that they help!
  • KateRickwood
    KateRickwood Member Posts: 10
    I'm the same!

Before I got this I had no idea!

Good luck! Just stick with it! :)
  • charleeh
    charleeh Member Posts: 173
    Hi,

I am 22 and have arthritis. I have had it since I was 17. Please do get checked out and if you are not happy with what the doc says ask to see another. If you have arthritis its real important you get to see a rheumatology doc.

My hands are now permanently damaged due to arthritis - I blame my employer for not providing me with the correct computer equipment when I asked. I worked as a junior accountant so I handled heavy files and was on the computer all day - every day.

Please look for equipment you need and let your employer know. I can advise 'track ball mice' are excellent - I got mine off ebay and it looks like an egg with a hole in, its hard to use on excel but great for other programs and online. A flat key board - I have an acer one also off ebay. If you use a normal mouse a wrist support - sharpie fine pens are also easier to use than normal ball point.... a great search word on ebay is ergonomic. You get ideas for stuff you never even heard of!

I agree try access to work... I hear they are very good. My ex employer wouldn't agree to anything though when I asked.

Best wishes,

Charleeh
  • rustyryan
    Thanks @charleeh your response is very helpful. I will have to check out ebay! And I definitely agree with you about getting a second opinion.