Another injection and Heberden's Nodes

Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 19. Jul 2013, 06:39 in Living with Arthritis archive
Off to the GP this morning for my second steroid injection into my thumb. I've been having problems with my hands over the past couple of weeks - pain and aching - and my little finger is lumpy, swollen and very sore. I think it's inflamed Heberden's Nodes, so I don't know if he can do anything. Ibuprofen, maybe?

On a non-arthritic topic - saw the urologist and will now have to go back every six months for repeated x-rays to monitor this kidney stone. He did say that he thought it was causing my frequent UTIs, which was interesting. Will go onto a daily prophylactic antibiotic if I get another UTI in the next six months - which is highly likely! And our local hospital has just been put into special measures!

Hope everybody is having a good day.

Meg

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I too have Heberdens nodules sending my fingers wonky and oh my they do hurt so much
    Don't think I'd like injections in those joints ouch
    Hope all goes well
    Maria
  • Megrose489
    Thanks Maria.

Well, I decided not to have the injection after all that! My thumb is still triggering, especially first thing in the morning, but then seems to calm down as I use it during the day. So, I discussed it with the doctor and I'm just going to put up with it. He did give me some Ibuprofen for the painful nodes.

Hope you don't mind, but may I ask how you cope with your hands? I knit and crochet - I've got quite a few projects on the go at the moment, including knitting my son a pair of socks for Christmas. I also write, so use the keyboard every day. In other words, I use my hands a lot, apart from day to day things. I've also got OA in my knees and feet, but it's my hands that are bothering me more at the moment.

I've started doing the hand exercises from Arthritis Care, but also wondered if you had found a topical NSAID like Ibuleve gel any use.

Thanks.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Wow, no injection? That was a brave decision and well done to you. We do use our hands a great deal, don't we? There's no way to avoid it, they are very useful things. I was reading in the Mail today about the many and varied uses of Epsom salts (villier mentioned these recently too) - I wonder if soaking your hands in a bowl with addded salts may help to ease the aches and pains a little? I am going to get some and try it with my feet (which are helllish at the moment). DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Hi Meg I am just back from the hand clinic and have had two injections into base of thumb, the first one I got did absolutely nothing for me so I am waiting with bated breath to see if two into the same joint will work this time, if not they are talking about surgery. Last year I had a heberdens node on my forefinger it was so bad they didn't even try steroids she went straight for surgery to fuse the two bones and when she operated said there was only a little cartilage left, I have never looked back although the pip joint is now quite badly affected, I never mentioned that to her today as I have enough going on :lol:. It may be worth speaking to your physio about splints I use them for when I am doing housework, driving or when hands are really bad, you can try brufen and pain dullers afraid they don't do much for me as mine are bone on bone, I see DD has suggested Epsom salts, it is as cheap as chips to buy it is worth a try..............good luck........tc.............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • Megrose489
    Thank you both.

That's a good tip about the Epsom Salts, DD. I'll get some tomorrow and give it a try. Hope it helps with your feet.

I've still got some pain in my thumb joint, even after having the injection three weeks ago. However, the GP said it takes six weeks to work completely. So, we'll see about that one. Hopefully, it will improve. This is the third time I've had an injection into the same joint - over a period of time.

Gosh, that Heberden's Node sounds painful, Marie. It was good that the surgery was so successful. Hope your two injections work on your thumb. Thank you for mentioning splints. I've considered getting a thumb splint, I believe you can buy them, so I'll look into that. It's never been suggested that I see a physiotherapist. Is a physio referral for those with RA, not OA?

Thanks again.

Meg
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Meg, as far as I can see you can self refer for physio's these days, I am referred through my clinic, good luck and keep posting..........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    I developed my first Heberden's node when I was 30 just after my son was born. At the time it was very red and painful. That finger now is really deformed and twisted, I hate how it looks. Other joints in my hands are now swollen and painful but recently my knuckles have started to ache. I work on a computer all day and when I come hope my thumb joints are so painful I sometimes sit with them on a hot water bottle. I found one of the worst things was when I used to make jewellery, threading beads was unbearable, I think it was the 'pinching' that did it. I do like to knit but try to do it in short bursts but it is definitely kinder to my hands that crochet which I find very painful. I think it's a case of finding which activities hurt the least and timing how long you do them for although of course there are lots of things we do with our hands that we have no choice about and it can be difficult. My favourite pain relief for my thumbs is sitting with my hands around a nice hot mug of tea!
  • Megrose489
    Thank you for your reply, 19smp59. Yes, my painful little finger is rather twisted and I've got nodes on my next two fingers, strangely on my right hand, not so much on my left - I'm right-handed. However, it's the left thumb joint which I've had major problems with. That joint is now quite bony and protuberant.

Thanks for your advice about knitting, etc. I know I'll just have to pace myself, but I'm not the most patient person and it's so frustrating when I want to get on with something.

I agree about the hot cup of tea. That is no problem at all!
  • maria09
    Hi Meg
    I don't knit I don't sew unless its for repairs and lost buttons and have trouble with that as fingers are sore all the time and find after sewing just one button is enough
    I can write but in short bursts only same with using keyboard on PC
    I had problems on my job as I couldn't open bottles, bags of fluids, opening medicine bottles, giving injections and most importantly do CPR due to painful s fingers and wrists my grip is useless and I drop things regularly all part of the reasons I got ill health retirement
    So I'm pretty useless at most things I don't cook as I'm a liability in the kitchen
    Wish I'd never started putting all this down now if I was a horse I'd have been shot by now!
    Maria
  • Megrose489
    Hi Maria,

Ah, but I'm sure you'd be a very nice horse!

Your hand problems are obviously a lot worse than mine - it all sounds awful and so painful. I'm actually able to do quite a lot, so long as I have the patience to pace myself. So, I'll stop moaning now and soldier on.

Am now sitting in the garden, in the shade and a gentle breeze is blowing the perfume of the honeysuckle across the lawn. Lovely.

Meg
  • maria09
    Hi Meg
    How lovely enjoy
    I'm waiting for my two to wake up them its a shopping trip to Matalan for undies both hubby and son are in desperate need of them! What an exciting day for me!
    Then it will be sitting out in the shade bliss
    Hey if you want to moan about your hands moan away I will join you :lol:
    Maria
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Meg
    I do hope you get the same relief has I did from the injections...I have had them in most places..but the hand ones work a treat....has for the kidney stones its good they are monitoring you....we dont want you having that pain on top of everything.....or do you already have the pain...sorry I just go blank.... I do wish you well x
    Love
    Barbara