i have been put back on diclofenic

dachshund
dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
edited 25. Jul 2013, 13:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
I hope everyone's having a good day.
I went to see the doctor he had stopped the diclofenic and put me on naproxen but I had a problem swallowing them. it was a pity because they took all the aching from my legs.
a few years ago I had naproxen liquid when I asked this time they said it was too expensive so he's put me back on diclofenic I don't think they work he said
you cannot take any notice about what people say.
I don't know what to think. he said i'm not having anymore messing about
with you he had told me the naproxen was small.
take care.
joan xx
take care
joan xx

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear
    I get so mad with GPs like yours you are not messing him about if he listened to you in the first place he wouldn't have changed your medication!
    Thing is if you have problems with swallowing tablets it makes no difference in the size of tablets!
    Silly man!
    I wish you had my GP practice every single one of them spend time and listen to what I have to say we have 4 doctors 2male 2 female all with a caring attitude so its not a case of I only want to see a certain one my daughter likes to see the lady docs due to her colitis only as she feels embarrassed with the men
    Is there another doctor you can see or have you thought of changing practices
    I also have an excellent pharmacist who is very knowledgable he even advised which calcium tablet was best for her to take as she really could chew the other ones as the taste was fowl!
    Do you have a Rheumatology team that may be able to help?
    Good luck
    Maria
  • dachshund
    Thank you Maria
    I think he was blaming him self because I said for a long time I had a problem swallowing tablets I had a endoscopy that showed I had a blockage of acid I take 2 lansoprazole a day. you cannot see another doc unless yours is away then they give you the same you had.
    the pharmacist is nice but she said I could cut the tabs.
    I have oa I have not got a rheumatologist.
    thank you for your help.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Joan
    If you can't have another GP in the practice would it not be possible to change GP's????
    Apart from you not being able to swallow meds, all the lastest is that Naproxen is the safest on the anti inflamms. Lots of people are being taken off diclofenic and put on naproxen.
    As for too expensive....docs like that make me made.....if you genuinely cant swallow tablets they should provide naproxen liquid.

Love
    Hileena
  • dachshund
    Thank you Hileena
    I have been with the practice over 30 years its only since having oa that I've had a problem with tabs I would pay for the liquid if I could.
    I know people have been took off diclo so I don't know what to do.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Joan, I feel so angry with that man. How dare he treat our lovely Joan like that? I don't know what he's like as a doc but, as a human being, he certainly lacks manners.

I think I agree with Hileena about changing practices. I don't think your current one has the right to insist you can only see one doc. I guess it could be quite difficult for you and Sue to change but it might be worth thinking about. You could possibly contact your local PALS for help. They might also be able to advise you about the possibility of your getting the liquid on a private prescription.

I hope the diclos help a bit. ((((()))))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dachshund
    Thank you Sticky
    I just phoned the pharmacist and asked about the liquid she said it comes in a low strength and would cost about £100 pound and the doc would charge
    for the prescription I would need it once a month. people are took off diclo if they have a heart problem.
    thank you for your help
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I'm cross. Yes, we know that meds are expensive but come on, this is a reasonable expenditure for your practice. You have a valid reason for needing the liquid and they should prescribe it. I'm cross. I send ((((())))) and xxxxx. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Joan I am so sorry they are not giving you the Liquid meds, I must admit my surgery never says that is too expensive we can't give you it, I should probably appreciate them more. I agree with Hileena and Sticky about changing practice, I am sure if you ask around someone will tell you a practice that is not so stingy to genuine lovely people that deserve it. I feel a rant coming on, I will love you and leave you Joan, hope you get things sorted out soon....................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dachshund
    Thank you DD and Marie
    DD thank you for answering my post when you have things to worry about very kind of you.
    Marie thank you I don't know what to do. it needs thinking about.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Joan

I am sorry to read about your update regarding your GP and the liquid naproxen. I hope that the diclofenic works well for you. I used to get on with it until after a few years of taking it, my stomach decided enough was enough. :roll: I am sure your GP would not have put you back onto this drug if you were prone to any of the reasons why some patients are now being prescribed it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23109314

Copied from the above link for you :

The advice has been updated after a European review of the risks.

Millions of people take diclofenac for a range of conditions including headaches, back pain and arthritis.

The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) said the drug should not be used by people with serious underlying heart conditions.

People who have suffered heart failure, heart disease or a stroke should stop using it completely.

Smokers and people with high blood pressure, raised cholesterol and diabetes have been advised to use the drug only after consulting their GP or pharmacist.

The MHRA said diclofenac would continue to provide safe and effective pain relief, apart from patients in certain "at risk" groups.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    Yup, there is stuff going on but I care about you and Sue. End of.

I honestly don't know what to say - my wonderfully effective Celebrex was stopped due to the cost for my GPs surgery and I was given omeprazole and naproxen, which did nowt. My rheumatologist was also annoyed by this but she could not supercede the decision. I know that I am costing the NHS a fair whack per annum, and I also pay for my prescriptions via a pre-payment certificate, but surely you are not anywhere near as expensive to 'run' as me. I feel helpless to help. This decision is palpably unfair, unreasonable and unacceptable. I am so sorry. DD
  • dachshund
    Thank you DD
    I care about you. that's not fair how you've been treated with the celebrex I hope they will think again and realise people need the tabs that work for them.
    I hope you have good news soon.
    when I went swimming last week I said to a friend about this forum how helpful it is. she said I haven't got time for that I said some people are on their
    own she said I have my oh to talk to she has arther.
    I don't know what to do about me.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    That's how this forum works, isn't it? We keep an eye out for each other and do our best to support when things are going amiss.

I'm sure you feel utterly lost - if I lived nearer I'd be coming with you to your doctors to back you in your arguements to have it, or even to argue on your behalf (even though I'm not very good at arguing :oops: ). I don't know what to suggest - how about ringing the Helpline here to see if they know of any steps you can take? DD
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Joan I haven't got time at the moment to write the reply I want to but I will be back. May x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Joan
    Sorry I have only just seen this, I am glad Elna has posted the link...they have taken many off the diclos....can you not have another chat with them..£100 for the fluid version that is awful..I wish I could help more ..you are such a good support to many on here...your friend doesn't know what she is missing...((((((())))) xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    Thank you May
    you have a lot of problems you don't have to think about me.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi Joan
    I think it might be time to change GPs and find one more caring
    You could put in a complaint to the practice manager
    £100 for the liquid version that's terrible that's where the pharmaceutical companies make their money!
    I'm sure I have an old BNF somewhere from my nursing days will look it up and check the price
    I just wish everyone had a practice like mine they are so helpful and caring so why can't others
    Wish I could come with you like DD said we would soon get em sorted
    Could you imagine all of us on this forum turning up at your appointment talk about people power!
    Try not to let it get you down stick to your guns at the end of the day it's your health not the damn doctors Grrr
    Rant over
    Maria
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    I am thinking about you Joan. My GP has told me I can no longer have my Strontiam for my osteoporosis....no reason.I asked her if it was suddenly decided by NICE that this drug was in any way dangerous and would she swing the computer round so I could see.
    No....this wasn't the reason. They have employed a pharmasist to advise them of the cheapest drugs to use. So they are paying someone when this money could be spent on drugs people need...utter stupitity.
    I've got them with a fight.
    It doesn't matter how much your meds in liquid form cost you need them.Why oh why is everything now measured in cost.
    I know how difficult it must be to consider changing docs as I've been with mine for years and there is no guarentee another doc would be any more understanding.I can't really suggest anything except putting your positive head on and tell them you must have the liquid as the diclos are no good.I'm so glad I'm out of the NHS as far as I'm concerned caring seems to have gone to the wall. Take care Joan and remember its worth a fight. Love May xx
  • dachshund
    Thank you May
    I went to see the doctor and said i'm taking 14 tabs a day I would like to have an xray he said I had not had one for 4 years so I went to day. i have to wait a week for the results.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Oooh Joan, I bet you're tired now, hospital trips are always wearing. Which bit or bits of you did they Xray? I hope that you are not feeling too achey now. ((())) DD
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope the x-ray results are good, Joan.

Yes, DD is right (as usual :wink: ) hospitals are tiring places, specially in this hot, humid weather. I hope you can relax a bit now.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright