Lack of Discipline.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 25. Jul 2013, 16:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
I've had a tickly cough this afternoon, neither tea nor water has soothed it so I found a few fruit pastilles, you know the sort, the ones you HAVE to chew. Says who? (This is spoken as the one who can always win the last doughnut.)

I was determined to just let them dissolve and so hopefully coat my throat with a lovely sugary syrup but my mouth had other plans. :( Yup, chewed to bits in around fifteen seconds. I sighed, chided myself and had another one. Same result. The last one of the tube was orange, my favourite. 'This time,' I thought 'I will do it this time!'

:oops:

DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Tut tut, on the norty step .Mig
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    And while you're sitting there you can contemplate Wegner's work on the 'white bear challenge', the nub of which is that the more you concentrate on not doing something the more likely you are to do it.
  • dreamdaisy
    I am sat on said step and contemplating the interesting theory - I've never heard of it before so thank you, Daffy2, I like finding out about new things, and that one makes a lot of sense. DD
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi DD
    I have managed on a few times to suck not chew but its very difficult as they are so tasty and beg to be chewed
    Keep on chewing
    Maria
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    daffy2 wrote:
    And while you're sitting there you can contemplate Wegner's work on the 'white bear challenge', the nub of which is that the more you concentrate on not doing something the more likely you are to do it.

Interesting daffy2. I guess it applies to pain, too - the more we concentrate on it the more we feel it.

DD, my son, who has done a fair bit of singing in his time, always swears by whisky. Well, that's his story, anyway :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I don't like whisky. :( I have found some rather elderly wine gums. Yippee. DD
  • Sharon2960
    Sharon2960 Member Posts: 329
    I'd go or the wine guns too, every time! Hope you feel better soon
  • mig
    Have you tried eating a sugar doughnut without licking your lips ? Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Yup, I always buy an extra one, the one who can eat theirs without licking their lips gets the extra and I always win thanks to a total lack of pride and self-respect. :D That's the doughnut competition. DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    No I cant suck them...now you have got me fancying some ...so will instruct hubby when he goes shopping.... :D they taste better out the big packets... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • maria09
    That's it I need some fruit pastilles
    Might ask my daughter to get me some on her way home from the hospital
    Saying that if it keeps raining I will have to go pick her up any way so payment in fruit pastille s sounds good
    Hey DD we should have a fruit pastille contest by proxy
    Keep chewing
    Maria
  • mig
    Who's going to be honest enough to tell that they chewed. 8) Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    That is a fair point well made, Mig. I know I can do the doughnuts but those damned pastilles are a very different kettle of fish (so to speak!). Another sweet with which I struggle is T*ngf*st*cs by H*r*b*. The cherry ones are my absolute favourites and yes, I am the sad woman who is checking all the packets for the most cherry ones. :oops: Oh, I'll own up, I struggle, end of. :roll: DD
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Liquorice is what the actors use to soothe their larynx, bet you can chew that DD.
  • dreamdaisy
    I could but then I'd be sick because I don't like liquorice. The most disappointing sweets at Christmas were the Bertie Bassett's bags of yuk. :( DD
  • maria09
    Oh I love Bertie Bassetts yummy
    Many years ago I used to live near Pontefract and every time I went shopping to Morrisons liquorice ended up in my trolley and all because the liquorice factory was near by and the waft of liquorice was lovely
    Strangely enough I never buy it now
    Maria

Ps
    How's your throat feeling?
  • mig
    Went to have bp checked this morning and bloods taken (its fine) so on the way home brought a BOX of pastilles ,it is now sat on the coffee table looking at me ,I'm sure it's saying open me eat me .I love licorice but I only eat it instead of taking laxatives :shock: :!: Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello Maria, thank you for enquiring about the throat. It's still tickly but I think that has more to do with pollen than anything else. I have upped my inhalers too as the breathing has been a little wheezy.

Mig, a whole BOX? Will Mr Mig get a look-in? If I had one of them I would tip out the whole lot, sort out the orange ones and leave them 'til last. :wink: DD
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    They say you can't put a fruit pastille in your mouth without chewing it!! And they are right! OH brought 4 packs of 4 as they are on offer at Tesco's!!
    Me I prefer Haribo's!! l love them!! Like you DD the tanfastics are my super favourites! I could easily go through a whole bag in one evening!!
  • mig
    Still haven't opened the box ! Mig
  • mig
    Just opened the box I got yesterday,gave oh two he started chewing straight away.Mig