I've been quiet ....

DebbieT
DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
edited 15. Aug 2013, 12:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I've been a bit quiet as since giving up smoking I can't seem to word things correctly & I'd hate to upset or offend anyone. I've posted a couple of times today & will stick to short replies as much as I can.

I've been antibiotic free since Saturday but my chest isn't clear :? I think I finally ( :oops: ) made the right decision for my chest!!!

This is my 19th day as a non smoker :D x
Healing Hugs
Debbie.x

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Debbie, that is fab, you go girl, I think you will find it might take a bit to clear your chest. I remember when I stopped I had the worst chest infection ever, doc had to give me a double dose of meds to clear it but have never looked back since. It is going to take a wee while for your tubes to clear, stick in there missus it will all be well worth it, go Debbie......... Marie xx :wink:
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • DebbieT
    Thank you Marie :D

Lordy I can be dumb.Lol :oops:
    I've had a chest infection since April & it ended with pneumonia so I was thinking the yukky cough etc was still infection, it didn't cross my mind it would be my lungs trying to clear years of abuse!!Ha ha

I stopped wearing the nicotine patches 6 days ago ... I found I was craving more with one on. :lol:

Thanks for the support. I hope I'm a confident ex smoker like ureself in the future :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Well done you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D Keep battling-it's so worth the effort.
    My husband gave up overnight when he had a heart attack 15 years ago :? So glad you've had chance to do it of your own accord and not because you don't have a choice.
  • DebbieT
    That happened to my father-in-law too. It's surprising wot we can do wen we need too.

Thank you for ure support :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Debbie
    That's great news well done
    It's good to cough up,all the bad stuff from your lungs
    You will feel the benefit the longer you go on your smoke free life
    I really admire you for stopping
    Keep at it girl
    Maria
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Well done Debbie!! Your doing the best thing, my OH is a smoker and has been for 27yrs now! I've tried everything to get him to stop after our Dad passed as he was a smoker and for him to die so suddenly it freaked me out. I even got a quit kit for me to help him stop but he point blank refuses. I've seen family members and friends give up smoking and they all agreed it was the best thing they did and they saved a lot of money doing so!!
  • DebbieT
    I certainly intend to keep trying!! :) Thank you Maria :)

Bubbadog, the hard thing to except is, no one, no matter how much they're loved, can make a smoker quit ... It's as addictive as narcotics, they say, so the smoker has to choose to give up :( It's really frustrating. I know for me the scariest thing is the thought of never having another cigarette again. Because of that I've had to treat it like a 'junkie' in rehab would ... 1 day at a time ... Today I'm a non smoker, I might smoke tomorrow. It helps to think I've got that option. It sounds so ridiculous, especially to a non smoker I'm sure!!

I'd say pushing the issue won't work (it would stress me out so id have smoked more) but encouragement is great & will help :) It often takes multiple attempts b4 we're fully successful & become non smokers permanently. I won't class myself as one for a long, long time!! I hope having a smokers point of view may help.x

Thank you all for the encouragement, support & understanding.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • maria09
    Hi Debbie
    I've never smoked but my parents were
    I think you have to get your head in the right place to stop
    My parents tried for years halfheartedly to stop then 1 day it clicked and they never smoked again
    Your right constantly telling someone to quit won't help it could make them more determined than ever to carry on
    It is a drug and you are right take each day as it comes if you relapse just start a new day as an ex smoker and don't beat yourself up for having one
    You are doing great
    Maria
  • DebbieT
    Uve worded all of that perfectly Maria, Great insight for a non smoker :D Perfect example of how to word things correctly too :D

I'm finding today tough, it's probably because I'm utterly exhausted, I had no sleep wot so ever last night. It's things like this that test my resolve. Insomnia vs fatigue + quitting = grouchy Debbie.Lol It's a good job I'm stubborn :lol:

I think I'll sit in the sun for a bit then try & sleep. Thanks again :) xx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    You're doing very well indeed, Debbie. Giving up is tough. I did it twice and the only thing that kept me from starting again was the knowledge that I'd never manage to give up again.

Many people find they get a really bad cough after giving up. Some use it as an excuse to start again but it does clear up in time and then they feel so much better.

Keep up the good work!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Good for you Debbie...I was the only one in my family that didnt smoke...but for the grace of god...I did try it but thank goodness they were very strong cigarettes and put me off.
    Both my brothers have given up so I know its hard...but you can do it...keep us all updated then we can support you x
    Love
    Barbara
  • DebbieT
    Awww thank you both :)

My cough isn't as bad as it was during the lengthy chest infections, thankfully. That's got to be telling me something eh :wink:

This is my 2nd attempt SW, my 1st was in 98 so it's long overdue!!

Barbara how I wish I never started at age 11 :( I'd have saved thousands of pounds & the health issues I may have avoided, well ... Hindsight is wonderful.

I'll try & remember to update you :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Debbie
    Well done you.....I've never smoked but my OH used to.
    If you say anything that I think might be offensive I'll pm you and ask you :lol::lol::lol: I don't imagine you will... :wink:

Love
    Hileena
  • DebbieT
    Id much prefer you did coz I'd only worry :) Lol

Thank you :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Dear Debbie;

That is really good news! You're already past day 19 and one day soon you are going to be through the worst of the withdrawal symptoms. Good going!! ((()))

I also hope people would PM me too if I inadvertently said something offensive. I always try not to, but you never know.

Take care,

Anna
  • DebbieT
    Thanks Anna :) x

I think it's mostly the habit I'm struggling with now. But it's easier most days, today has been so hard coz it's been so long, I've been awake since yesterday morning :? A short fuse which I'd have 'thought' I was controlling with a **** b4 & now I'm just jittery. I'm getting there tho :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    We all need time off from time to time, especially when wrestling with other daemons in our lives. Keep up the good work, you are doing more than OK, stay focused on the benefits you are beginning to gain, especially those to your lungs. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    Thank you DD. I'm hoping I'll survive the lung function tests at hospital in a couple of weeks time ... If I can manage those without feeling like an elephant sat on my chest, joints willing too of course, I'll feel a real sense of accomplishment :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • maria09
    Hi Debbie
    How's it going :?:
    Maria
  • DebbieT
    3 weeks & 3 days so it's still going, that's the main thing :) Thanks for asking, sorry I haven't been about to reply sooner, my Grandson was here :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Well done missus you are doing so well, the bit I like is when doctors ask you do you smoke and you can honestly answer no, what a feeling that is. Keep up the good work Debbie you are doing great................Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi Debbie, how are you doing today? Hope you are still be strong and staying away from the nicotine!! :)
  • maria09
    Hi Debbie
    That's excellent news
    Are you finding it difficult or taking it all in your stride
    Hope you had a lovely time with your grandson?
    Maria
  • DebbieT
    Hi,

Most days it's been pretty easy, which is so surprising after 32 yrs!! But I'll get the odd chunk of a day, especially ones wen I haven't slept well ... Like the past 3 nights I've had in total approx 4-5 hrs of broken sleep, I'm exhausted & I get a bit agitated, I could easily light a ciggie up but thankfully I'm being stubborn :) I haven't caved at all. I get a packet of cigs out that I kept, its full still, n have a sniff (god I'm a weirdo.Lol) n it calms me right back down. It works :)

Thank you all for the support.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • DebbieT
    Oh I should've added, I gained 4lb in the first 2 weeks, last week I lost 1lb ... I'm hoping I'll stay the same at least this week. I'm obese after being on Pregabalin & gaining 4st in 2 years so I stopped taking it!! It was helping my fm pain but with having arthritis (OA & PsA) I thought trying to lose some of that weight was important. Then because I've got psoriasis I'm more at risk of a certain heart disease & cancer so smoking needed to be addressed too, especially with my chest .... Aaarrgggghhhhh It's a nightmare trying to decide wot to tackle :?

Moany, whine, rant thingymajiggy over :) Thank you.

We loved having him, in fact i pinched him last night so his Mum could have a break. Its tough doing it alone I'd imagine :( He's so cheeky, just like his Grandad :lol: He's been picked up now so back to a quieter house.xxx
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x