Fish oil

Bethliz
Bethliz Member Posts: 44
edited 24. Jul 2013, 05:33 in My child has arthritis
Hi
I am just wandering if anyone gives their child fish oil in order to help with their arthritis? If so I would be very grateful if you could let me know which type and which dosage? My daughter is nearly 2. I would also be interested in hearing how effective you feel it is.

Many thanks
Bethliz

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Please don't take my word for it, bethliz, but I think there is some evidence that fish oils are good for OA, not necessarily for the auto-immune types of arthritis. However, I recall being dosed with Cod Liver Oil routinely as a child. My guess is that, if it does no good it'll do no harm. However, I'd check with a pharmacist about the correct dosage for such a small child.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It is not too useful for the arthritis but it is good for brain development - I agree with Sticky that you need to consult your pharmacist about the dosage but I think you must also check with the rheumatology team who are looking after your girl to get their go-ahead. As an adult I am not allowed to take some remedies such as St John's Wort because they interfere with my medication so please, do check first. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Fish oils definitely help my psoriasis not sure about the arthritis. Worth a try. Best to get advice on doses/interactions etc.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • thistlegirl
    thistlegirl Member Posts: 229
    My mum had me on evening primrose and marine fish oil from and early age. I was diagnosed at 18 months and she was always looking for things to help. As I was on other meds at the time I can't say what effect it had but it certainly didn't make things worse!
    I think I was around 8 when the fish oil came in, not sure though as it has been a while, I am 34 now ;-)
    Thistle
  • Bethliz
    Thank you for all your replies. I found a very helpful pharmacist who did some research and got back to me to say omega berry is the best type. Ordered it yesterday and surprisingly it arrived today. Don't think my daughter liked the taste very much but I suppose that was to be expected! Just got her to drink juice straight after. Unfortunately the recommended dose for a 2 year old is very low just 1/2 a teaspoon which I feel is not likely to make that much difference however at least its a start and i'll ask at our next appointment whether we can increase it to 5ml. Anythings worth a try.

Bethliz
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Dosage is reckoned by age and sometimes weight. Two year olds are, strictly speaking, hardly started in life, they have small bodies and organs. Anything exceeding the recommended amount may be harmful, reagrdless of whether it's a natural product or not. Deadly nightshade is a natural remedy but taking too much of that leads to never needing another dose of anything. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Bethliz
    Hi dreamdaisy

don't worry I certainly wont increase the dose without seeking medical advice.