It's going to be a long night I fear....

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 24. Jul 2013, 13:13 in Community Chit-chat archive
It's 10pm and my Age Concern cold alert card reads 27o C - 80 in old money - and says 'too hot, reduce your heating'. Oh how I wish! As it's just one of these basic liquid crystal things I thought it might be wrong, but no, the proper thermometer reads the same.
Tepid bath, minimal nightie, a good book, the chance to hear just how noisy the nocturnal nightlife is(especially the hedgehog) and if I'm lucky a bit of shuteye before work beckons in the morning.
Supposed to be cooler tomorrow, I do hope so.

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Daffy,We have just had a cracking thunder storm with lots of rain and its not cooled down one bit,can hear thunder in the distance,more to come I think luckily I don't work being of a certain age.Mig
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Awe Daffy, I hope you get some sleep, I can't work been n bed for an hour and now sitting with feet in basin with Epsom salts hands next, hope you manage to get some sleep before work..........................tc.......Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I find it easier to warm up than to cool down. My husband trotted in last night (from the coolth of his air conditioned car) to find a naked, soggy, drippingly sweaty wife, hair plastered to her head, wielding a wooden spoon and a bad temper because she had to cook in 29 degree heat. His only comment was 'Not now wife, I've only just got in.' Apparently I was meant to laugh. :roll: (How can I educate him that salad is indeed a meal?)

Keep well-hydrated, I've been sipping water throughout these hot days, varied with an odd cup of tea here and there, come bed time there's water next to the bed, open windows on the upper floors (hard if you live in a bungalow though) and do you have a fan you can have whirring away somehwere? Hydration is the key thing, even a cool bath or shower will make a difference. Hang on to the hope that this hot spell won't last and soon the heating will have to be back on! :) DD

PS I have lights on because it is very dark here thanks to thunderstorms. Summer - innit great? :roll:
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Daffy hope you got some shut eye!! Last night was a slow one! Had air condenser on till 11pm! Saw some lightening at about 11.30pm no thunder! Tried to get to sleep after midnight but I'm a light sleeper and the intermittent lightening and occasional thunder claps kept waking me up as did my furry babies who had never heard thunder or seen lightening so they kept huddling into me. I think I must have dropped off around 3-4am and woke when the storm took hold around 6-7am! Hoping for a better night tonight for yourself Daffy, I & any other poor bugger who had a ruff night last night!! :(
  • lurch1
    lurch1 Member Posts: 561
    it was indeed a long night.
    The storms started here about 11pm and went on most of the night.
    Wonderful lightening and lots of it, so i sat and watched.
    Daughter was at her sisters last night, so i had 2 neurotic cats hudddling under the bed.
    Then the power went off!
    So its pitch black, and i cant move for fear of falling over a cat :lol:
    To make things even more interesting i live on an A road which has been closed overnight for resufacing. Having carefully made my way to bed, i was just dozing off when i heard what sounded like a dragon approaching, hissing and rumbling! Was the road crew removing cats eyes , grinding, scraping, and with enough flashing orange lights to resemble a mobile disco!
    It took them nearly an hour to move slowly past, and at 4.30 they finally went down the hill, and i managed about 2 hours before yes, the cats were wanting breakfast! :cry:
    If that was a bit of a waffle, i apologise, put it down to lack of sleep!!!!
    Cris
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I hope you managed some sleep, daffy. I've been managing to keep the bedroom windows open by stealth. (Mr SW doesn't like them open at night.) I've drawn the curtains early so's he couldn't see they were open then stopped the curtains moving by jamming the furniture against them. Today I'm in my coolest cotton blouse. He's wearing a sweatshirt :shock:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    I forgot to say that I am sleeping on a bath sheet at the moment and my pillow is also wrapped in a towel (as per normal). The towelling does help to keep you feeling cooler on the hotter nights. DD
  • mig
    We have just had the most horrendous hail storm,I thought the windows had had it,it's done nothing to cool things down. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    We need a storm to break - so far no good. The humidity is exhausting. DD
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Boy did we have a wonderful thunder storm last night. And I sat up and was watching from my bed. It just kept rolling around and chucking it down. But, again, no heat reduction at all. I managed about 1 hours sleep last night. It is so hot in our bedroom, we have the airing cupboard in our room and it is tiny. (the room that is) 2 fans going all night, still just to lay there the sweat was pouring off.

Talking with hubby we are wandering whether we are in for another storm tonight. WE NEED A BREAK FROM THIS HEAT.
    Karen xx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    I had my 1st through the night sleep in over 3 weeks it was wonderful to wake when the alarm went off!! Also 'the kids' (puss cats) Slept through after I played with them for a good 2hrs to wear them out!!
  • daffy2
    Oh the irony....In the end Monday night was OK - got to sleep just before midnight, woke once, then started the day at about 6-30 am, which by my standards is a good night's sleep - I think your messages of sympathy must have helped! Just as well really as work proved to be constantly one thing after another, with the added bonus of short periods of heavy drizzle - it's a big site and involves being outside as well as inside so at one point I found myself juggling an umbrella and 2 toilet rolls and trying to answer a radio call at the same time.
    Last night, despite the lower temperatures, was a non-starter sleepwise, so 3am found me with a cup of fresh coffee(don't ask, I think my brain's wired up wrong, this often sends me to sleep!) reading books and making notes. Did drop off and got nearly 3 hours shuteye.Hope for something better tonight.
  • dreamdaisy
    I too hope you manage a better night. Reasonable quality sleep is currently very hard to come by - especially with another human in the bed too. :roll: I might try sleeping in the bath tonight: it's on the ground floor, with the possibility of spiders, but no matter. Cor, cool enamel against hot skin - I might end up shivering! :P DD
  • mig
    Put the plug in ,they can't get out then. Mig
  • daffy2
    Yes at times like this there are some advantages to having a lone bed....