amazing what people leave lying about

daffy2
daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
edited 26. Jul 2013, 15:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
Last night after work I went to the allotment to do the watering and found a train parked at the end of the plot.
OK not quite what it seems but a little odd nonetheless.There is a line that runs along the edge of the site, which closed at the end of the eighties, and has been taken on by a preservation group.Recently they have been running(empty) strings of carriages up the line and back, but usually they are parked further up the line.It's something of a full circle as when I first took the plot on nearly 30 years ago they were still running grain trains to the local maltings, and my children used to wave to the guard. If I was visiting a friend nearby we could go and talk to him as the train had to stop for a manual level crossing at the bottom of her garden. It's good to see it back in use, but oh dear the old diesels are not the most fragrant of beasties!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It all sounded rather lovely until I got to the last sentence :roll: You're right, daffy. Not at all fragrant and probably nor really wanted near an allotment.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Ah

Made me feel quite nostalgic daffy2 :?

We have a 'line' which still runs for tourists most weekends near here.

even if they are a bit smelly :wink:

love

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Compared to what people leave lying about in our front garden that sounds rather idyllic! I wonder why the carriage was abandoned like that? I can feel a story coming on . . . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    There are several carriages DD and they were still there today. I imagine it is something to do with needing space at the station and so having to park surplus items elsewhere, but I do wonder about the wisdom of their current situation given that the summer holidays have now started and there are bored youngsters roaming around. Some years ago there was a craze for picking up the ballast off the track and lobbing it at greenhouses and coldframes....
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    frogmorton wrote:
    Ah

Made me feel quite nostalgic daffy2 :?

We have a 'line' which still runs for tourists most weekends near here.

even if they are a bit smelly :wink:

love

Toni xxx

The trains not tourists :oops: