This is the flare that never ends....

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 30. Jul 2013, 07:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
This is the flare that never ends, it just goes on and on my friends. :(

I've not have any reprieve from my raging RA for almost 2 months now. Even the joints in my hands are swollen and these are my 'good' joints that rarely swell. I'm struggling along, just about managing to work 4 days a week but things are rather overwhelming at the moment. I am expecting to start Cimzia in the next few weeks and metaphorically have my fingers crossed that all goes well.

I got dealt another blow last week; I have osteopenia (pre-osteoporosis) in my feet and I'm waiting for a bone density scan for my whole body. Given this, they are loathe to prescribe steroids and I am loathe to take them anyway as they made me very depressed.

I hate the way things are and my mood has dropped to the floor. When I look in the mirror, I see a pale, tired 25 year old who needs a walking stick for short distances, never mind longer distances. It's hard to strum up much positivity when physically, I feel so crummy.

On a less dreary note, I'm having a 'me' day at a spa tomorrow which I think will be good for me. I've never been to a spa before, so hopefully I'll enjoy it as well as having some proper relaxation time. Who knows, I might return a new woman?! Unlikely but I can dream!

Thank you for listening to me. x

Comments

• lizzieuk1
    lizzieuk1 Member Posts: 302
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh starburst i m so sorry ur still flaring, totally know what ur going through! Chin up u may have read my post and see I'm much better. Has taken rather a long time but I am getting there and you will too, keep soldiering on. Xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Starburst wrote:
    Who knows, I might return a new woman?! Unlikely but I can dream!

I do hope not, Sophie, because I rather like the one we've got :) You say you see
    Starburst wrote:
    a pale, tired 25 year old who needs a walking stick for short distances

whereas I see a remarkable young woman who has already overcome and achieved more than some people do in a lifetime, who is kind and caring and, despite 'the flare that never ends' is still working four days a week.

I think many of us are struggling with the heat and humidity and coping with these on top of a flare is going to be grim indeed.

I'm sorry about the osteopenia. It's yet another blow which you don't need and steroids wouldn't be a good idea in the circumstances.

So, I think we're looking firstly to the spa, secondly to the weather getting back to a more usual English summer and thirdly to the cimzia. I hope the first two make a little difference until you can start on the third. As for that, I shall have my fingers well and truly crossed. But, no new woman, please. Let's keep the one we've got :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hello starburst your really having a bad time. Did you know you can contact the Rheumy nurse and ask for a DEPOMEDRONE injection this should reduce the pain whilst your other medication kicks in. a depo can last a couple of months for some whilst others just a few weeks. coming down off it can be a bit depressing but it worked well for me many times
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    Sounds like you're having a rough time, I hope that your new medication will work well for you. The news about the osteopenia sucks, do you take any medication for that? I'm also of similar age and currently take calcichew d3 forte (yuck) and 1 other tablet weekly that I can't think of the name.
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Im so sorry ure struggling so much. Wot rubbish news :(
    I really hope the new med works well & fast for you wen you start it!!

Fingers crossed that ure spa day helps relax you a bit a least. (((hugs))) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Oh Starburst, :( oh poo, bum and other rude words. :( . I am so sorry but again, like Sticky, I salute your courage and the fact that you are still going out to work. You and Kathe set great examples in not letting your disease get the better of you but perhaps this is also contributing to the flare not subsiding? I doubt that the heat is helping either - many of us have been having a rough time with the excessive heat and humidity. :( . Oh poo, bum and other rude words.

Look after yourself as best you can, my lovely, and I hope you start to feel better soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    I hope you had a lovely day being pampered Sophie as I know very little about RA I can only send you some of these (((()))) and lets hope you get the new meds soon and they help with your joints..........tc............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Colin1 wrote:
    Hello starburst your really having a bad time. Did you know you can contact the Rheumy nurse and ask for a DEPOMEDRONE injection this should reduce the pain whilst your other medication kicks in. a depo can last a couple of months for some whilst others just a few weeks. coming down off it can be a bit depressing but it worked well for me many times
    Colin

this sounds good advice , alot better than having steriod tablets & hope the biologic helps
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    hello Sophie
    The others have given you some good advice, I just want to add my support ....I do hope you can get the injections that Colin has mentioned I have heard they are very good
    And you enjoy the Spa ...its so good to get some me time
    I hope you get some relief very soon (((()))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    How did you get on at the Spa Sophie? Hope you had an enjoyable day! How you feeling today on the 'flare up' front any change? Hope so. (())
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Thank you for your kind and generous words. I had a relaxing time yesterday which included a lovely massage. I even had a little nap in a nice room with candles and soft music while my friend was having a pedicure! :lol: I've felt pretty sore and tired again today, had a nap at 5 pm when I got home and felt a bit brighter but ready for bed again.

I did think about a steroid injection but, at the time, felt I could cope. However, the more I think about it, the more I think it is a good idea. I will give rheumy nurses a ring, they're fab and usually try to fit me in asap. My ergonomically handled crutch should be here soon too which I hope will help.

I try to avoid taking tramadol too often but I think tonight is going to be one of those 'full dose of tramadol and co-codamol before bed' night.

Thank you all again for helping me to see the little light at the end of the tunnel.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think you're wise to hold off on the big guns of pain relief because that way you always have somewhere to turn when things are rough. I hope you trammied etc and had a better night because of them. The steroid may be an option, talk to the rheumatology nurse and see what she has to say. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Glad you had a good time at the spa! Nothing like a little TLC!! It's always good to have certain stronger pain relief to fall back on if it is needed, sticking to lower does when you can is better.
    We are here to support each other when needed. Glad you feel happier. :)
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi
    I can't add any other advise from the others
    I'm glad you enjoyed your pamper day
    Did you manage to get a better sleep
    I hope your meds kick in soon and you start seeing some improvement
    (((( ))))
    Maria