I'm champion!

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
edited 29. Jul 2013, 13:18 in Community Chit-chat archive
I haven't heard those words for ages until a local radio phone-in this morning.

When I was a kid (in Yorkshire) loads of people, especially old people, would reply to the question "How are you?" with "I'm champion."

You could see they weren't. They limped or hobbled and had swollen, gnarled, lumpy, misshapen fingers but, if pressed, they'd reply it was 'just a touch of rheumatics'. Sometimes they'd say 'screwmatics'. I'm sure that saying they were 'champion' made them feel better. It certainly brightened my day as they were always cheerful and kindly.

So, I've decided. From now on I'm champion. With just a touch of screwmatics. :wink::lol:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    You have started something now Sticky, there was someone used to say that when I was a child and for the life of me can't think who it was :shock: Did you spike my drink last night? :lol: xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hee SW...my mum was always champion and so am I...not heard that word forever but like you I will resurrect it... :D another one I'm gradely......
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    And another A1. Hubbies granny used to say it. Mig
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    I like champion too, Stickywicket.

One of my friends is always 'Fine and Dandy thank you" :)
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Could be better but could be worse ; is what one of our relatives always says .
    Jillyb
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    My dad says he's champion quite often (he's a cheerful soul). I think I might have grand, as in 'I'm grand' or to be local 'I'm reet grand I am' :D
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    You are all champions to me always happy finding laughter out of all
    of your problems. :D
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Hi SW
    My grandparents always said champion must be a good old fashioned yorkshire word its such a long time since I've heard it
    It does bring back memories
    My grandad always used to call his Adam's apple his beggar he used to say watch me beggar when i was messing with his tie!
    Maria
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I seem to have triggered some memories.

'Gradely', Barbara - I'd never heard this until I took up with Mr SW who is of the Red Rose persuasion. I think it's very Lancastrian.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    I seem to have triggered some memories.

'Gradely', Barbara - I'd never heard this until I took up with Mr SW who is of the Red Rose persuasion. I think it's very Lancastrian.
    Yes Lancashire through and through I am...then they moved us to Grt Manchester :x ...I still use Lancashire on letters :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Me too Barbara! I know it's really Greater Manchester but we all know it's Lancashire really...and I'm in one of those bits where some folks swear it's Yorkshire (but it isn't)!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • barbara12
    Me too Barbara! I know it's really Greater Manchester but we all know it's Lancashire really...and I'm in one of those bits where some folks swear it's Yorkshire (but it isn't)!
    LV how nice to hear someone else that sticks to Lancashire..I was so upset when they moved the boundary's..on the border of Yorkshire eh...we will always be Lancashire.... :lol:
    Love
    Barbara