how bad before asking for help

helenk
helenk Member Posts: 10
edited 2. Aug 2013, 12:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks, I was wondering how bad pain would have to get before you went to A & E? My hip is degrading really quickly and today im in so much pain its making me physically sick. I even have severe pain on resting so its not good at all. Im going to ring the GP on Monday morning and get an appt but if it gets any worse, ill have to consider emergency treatment. I dread it tho because i worry they will just tell me theres nothing they can do and to go away. Anyone been in this situation? What did you do?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Everyone has different tolerances to pain levels; one man's agony is another's mild twinge. :wink: I would not go to A&E with arthritic pain - the on-duty staff would not know my arthritic history, they would not know enough about arthritis of any kind and would not be able to help too much. What pain relief are you taking at the moment - and are you taking enough? Sometimes we need to take a steady dose at the right intervals to 'get ahead' of matters. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • 19smp59
    19smp59 Member Posts: 105
    I wouldn't go to A&E with arthritic pain. I would see GP as soon as surgery opens. What medication are you taking now? Are you taking at regular intervals? You need to discuss with GP alternative pain medication if what you have now isn't working as there are always alternatives.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm afraid I agree with the others. I'd never go to A&E with arthritic pain however distressing. It might be worth finding a pharmacy that's open tomorrow, telling the pharmacist exactly what meds you take and asking if there's anything you could buy over the counter that wouldn't interact with them just to tide you over. In the meantime I'd be distracting myself as much as possible - not easy when the pain is bad but all the more valuable.

Just a thought - have you been taking your paindullers with food? If not, that might account for the sickness.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lurch1
    lurch1 Member Posts: 561
    hello helen
    I have to admit i have been to A&E twice, prior to my tkr.
    On both occassions severe pain regardless of tramadol.
    On both visits i was given a morphine injection...........
    Cris
  • helenk
    helenk Member Posts: 10
    thanks everyone for you feedback. i have several conditions all causing pain but the biggie at the moment is severe OA in my right hip which is causing a flare in the CRPS (chronic pain condition). I have quite a high tolerance for pain and this is too much. i cant handle it. Im taking tramadol, cocodamol, pregabalin and amitriptyline. the only ones i can increase are the pregab and the ami. the pregab doesnt really do much, esp for non nerve pain and the ami i wont increase as it spaces me out too much and puts me into a weird sleep where i have constant vivid, scary dreams. not nice
    I will try to hang on for monday as that is by far the preferable option but hubby is concerned and i feel im fighting a losing battle
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Hello Helen Sorry to hear you having such a bad time. you know different people suffer pain in different ways and some cope easyer than others whilst for some the slightest pain can be a nightmare. I think as Arthritis suffers we all know what your going through. Pain effects you in many ways but at the end of Day you need to get some relief from it and if that means going to A+E you go love. I know its long waits and lots of messing about but just tell them how much pain your in and tell them you want some pain relief. Take care love
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • dreamdaisy
    It would seem that you are already taking the big guns on the pain relief front - I don't think there is much left as an option. :( The stronger the dullers the more you are removed from the pain, not vice-versa. It's tough, no? DD
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I have OA in hips, back ankle etc......and wouldn't go to A & E for that sort of pain. They don't know me, haven't got my history etc so doubt if they could do much there and then.
    An appointment with your GP is def preferable and be firm and get a referral to the hospital again {I assume you've been} for x rays etc
    Love
    Hileena
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Hi where you over night Helen? I was wondering if you could of spoke to a doctor on the new '111' line? Previously when I've had a bad flare up which has left me in agony I've called 'NHS Direct' to get some advice incase I could slightly increase a med temporarily just to get me through till I could speak to my G.P or have them come and see me. And that has helped. Good luck with your G.P this morning let us know how you get on.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello helenk. How did you get on with the GP? I hope he was able to help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    Hi,

I'm so sorry I wasn't on to see this!!

I have FM, OA & PsA. I used to take those meds tho I'm off Ami & Pregabalin now. Wen I had a horrendous flare of fibromyalgia & PsA pain I rang the out of hours Drs service. I was prescribed Oramorph over the phone, the Dr faxed it to my nearest open pharmacy so one of my children could collect it!!! Oh, my children are all adults btw.

I'd definitely do that again if I needed it.
    I hope you were helped.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    Hello again, helenk, how are things with you now? DD
  • dreamdaisy
    I send the same message as before - whatever action you took I hope that things are feeling better for you now. DD