Was it a dream?

DebbieT
DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
edited 30. Jul 2013, 14:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

I noticed Something quite strange last night. It was pain in my ankles & wrists but it was like they'd been separated from my legs & arms!! I had the feeling, or a repeating dream maybe? (Tho it was still like it wen I was awake) That they'd been severed by a garden trowel being jammed between the joint!! YUK :o :shock:

I've no idea wot this is, I have a very, very vague recollection of someone saying something similar but about a mattress or something ... I can't even remember if it was in this group?? DD is in my mind in relation to it .. That may just be my mind playing tricks tho, DD was it you?

It kept waking me up, 4 times in 15 minutes!!! It didn't help with the insomnia that I've already got.

Is it something any of you have experienced or do I need more therapy pronto?? :? Lol xx
Healing Hugs
Debbie.x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yup, it was me, guilty as charged m'lud. :) My feeling was that my limbs were far too heavy to move - they kinda belonged to me but I couldn't make them move. I also used to get the sensation that a hand or a foot would be about 100 times larger than they really were. I never thought much about it, and don't now. Admittedly the 'heavy-melted-into-the-mattress-thing' makes getting up harder than usual, but where's the fun in life if the challenges don't start until mid-day? :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • DebbieT
    Lol Yes, I see ure point however I'd only had 3 1/2 hours sleep over the 2 previous nights & that had been broken sleep as it was so I didn't really appreciate something else butting in on the little shut eye I managed to get :?

If it happened upon normal waking I'm sure I'd have been more amused ;) Thanks DD.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    I don't get much sleep either, it's regularly interrupted by pain and what sleep I do manage is only very light. It's not fun but after years of it I am used to plodding on with both eyes half-closed. :wink: DD
  • DebbieT
    It's been a particularly hard few days ... It feels as tho it's all conspiring!! :?
    U have my sincere sympathies. I've had insomnia since becoming a lady ( ;) ) at 11 years old.

Health or lack there of, has a lot to answer for at times.Lol I know I'm whinging, sorry. Like I said, a bad few days. I know how well off I am with my health really.

I'll say good night.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Wow, I have had this too. My hands/wrists feeling unattached to the arm. It also felt sometimes like my hands were no longer there at all. I can't sleep at all without wrist/hand supports now. This is a horrible phenomenon!!! My sympathy; it does not help one get any sleep. Years ago (~20) I used to lie awake at night feeling like one arm was ridiculously enlarged, like your description DD. I put it down to stress at the time. Interestingly, my mum described the same happening to her.

I guess it's all some weird PsA neuro phenomena because of inflammation?? I have had a lot of this kind of thing happening. Most recently something like a clicking sensation in my head that woke me (maybe it was my brain actually working :lol: ) Sorry, it's really no joke, very scary.

What I do love is being able to share with you lovelies; I have never met anyone else with such weirdness as myself!!

Thank you xx
  • DebbieT
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: That made me LOL thanks Anna :D

Phew, it's good to know it could be PsA related!! I thought FM initially & posted in my support group for that & they all freaked n were screaming nerve damage at me :( I'm glad I trusted my gut & posted properly here :)
    Now we both feel less weird.lol

I get wot I call lead legs, it can affect my whole body too but that does seem to be a fm symptom.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • Boomer13
    Boomer13 Member Posts: 1,931
    Glad I made you laugh :lol: .

Yes, I was reading about vascular inflammation which can be enough to cause pressure on nerves and create weird neuro symptoms. PsA can be guilty here.

As we know though PsA is one of the lesser studied rheumatic illnesses so hopefully that'll be corrected one day and more of these sorts of phenomena will be adequately explained. Is my hope anyway.
  • DebbieT
    It seems I'm destined to have ailments that aren't well understood. Typical.Lol

Ah, so nerve involvement is quite possible then! Hhmmm, interesting, cheers :) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    oogh Debbie that sounds awful :shock: like you say its been a bad time for you....hopefully it doesn't happen again :shock: think we had all better come round tonight....just in case.... :)((((())))xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • DebbieT
    Barbara you are such a love ((((you))))

Ure welcome with ure new hip anytime :D Thank you, I'll see you around 3am, my bed is on the left of the French doors ... Loud snoring noises will be emminating from the other one :lol::lol: x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • dreamdaisy
    Oddly I've never had the 'big hand' thing since I started the PsA, and when I did I just put it down to a body oddity, I never worried about it. I think the heav- limbed thing comes from suddenly waking from a very deep sleep - I recall reading somewhere that when we are in the deepest levels of sleep we actually become 'paralysed' - sleepwalkers don't which is why they can wander about if the mood takes them. DD
  • DebbieT
    I've never had the big hand thing at all, it must be a very odd sensation!! :?

Wot I call 'lead legs/body' happens at anytime, day or night but I've experienced wot ure referring too ... I believe ure right about the paralysis!! It's so odd wot our bodies can do to us regardless of our health :) They're complicated machines that's for sure!!x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x