Symptoms of peripheral neuropathy anyone?

Mat48
Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
edited 30. Jul 2013, 06:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi. I'm lying awake panicking a little. Hope someone can help me when they wake up at a sensible time. I have mentioned to my GP yesterday, when in for routine blood tests prior to my annual rheumy consultation this Thursday (plus DAS) that I've been getting intense foot burning pain in the night. This has become more widespread now and is in my hands as well as up my back. It is pins and needles plus heat and pain really.

He took bloods for thyroid, usual MTX monitoring and ESR so I will get the results today - may or may not know more but my ESR was 44 last month (quite raised for me). I asked him to check my vitamin D levels but he said this wasn't necessary and they don't check this in my practice unless someone is actually housebound. I should have asked for blood sugar because I have a family history of diabetes 2 but was fine when tested a year ago.

My blood pressure is also quite high - last week 173/102 but yesterday back to 145/90. GP advised me to keep monitoring it and report back the average over a month.

Does anyone else have this kind of peripheral neuropathy with RA I wonder?
If you get lemons, make lemonade

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I'm sorry I don't suffer from RA so I have no advice
    I just wanted to offer you my support
    I'm sure when more peeps get on they will have lots of advice
    Try to keep strong
    Best wishes
    Maria
  • As5567
    As5567 Member Posts: 665
    I do get a burning feeling in the sides of my feet and bottom of legs/ankles. My doctor always tells me its inflammation of the tendons, I'd not try to panic as stress is bad for anyone. Personally I'd wait for the doctors results to come back, if there is nothing wrong in the test results then I'd be asking for more tests to be done to try and find what's causing the burning pain.
  • Mat48
    Thank-you both. Yes that is my plan - to collect my test results this morning and see what my ESR is doing just now. I'm less tingly now than in the middle of the night when its at its worst. I just feel stupid for not getting my blood sugar test for diabetes rather than trying to get vitamin D done. X
  • Mat48
    Just a quick update. My ESR is only 28 this month so whatever's going on in my body at night I don't think it's RA. I've had my thyroid results back too and they look a bit off to me but I'm waiting for a GP to phone and confirm. Also worrying a bit that this might be early diabetes because it's in my genes and I know neuropathy can be a sign. Mat x