Mother of all flare ups!

AndyMaz
AndyMaz Member Posts: 64
edited 31. Jul 2013, 06:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'm feeling really under the weather at the moment. Since yesterday I've been having one heck of a flare up.

I'm practically bend double and sitting, standing, even lying down, is excruciating :(

I called the GP's surgery this morning and they can't get me in for over a week, so I've asked for a telephone appointment with the on-call Doctor. I'm hoping he/she can provide me with some stronger pain killers to get me through this flare up. The 75mg of Diclofenac just isn't coming close to helping, it's great day-to-day, but doesn't touch the current pain!

Ouchy.

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, Hope you get a call back from your G.P soon and that they can help you. 'Flare up's' are evil things and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. Take care and hope it doesn't last too long.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Flares go with the territory - I wonder if the hot and humid weather is partly to blame? Many of us have been struggling over the past couple of weeks. I hope things ease soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • AndyMaz
    Thanks! It's raining here :lol:

I've not had a flare up this bad before.
  • DebbieT
    DebbieT Member Posts: 1,033
    I hope the Dr helps you with some decent pain meds. (((( you )))) x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • AndyMaz
    No sign of my phone call yet.
  • DebbieT
    Do/can you take paracetamol? I'm wondering if ul be allowed to take them until the gp rings? Not the best but better than nothing perhaps?x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • AndyMaz
    Paracetomol doesn't touch it unfortunately, it never used to touch the day-to-day pain either, not the stuff you get over the counter anyway.

Ibuprofen was just as useless for me too, I couldn't take that with the Diclofenac anyway.
  • AndyMaz
    8/500 co-codomol... lets see if this takes the edge off!!
  • DebbieT
    Lol :) I never liked co cos personally but do hope they help you.x
    Healing Hugs
    Debbie.x
  • AndyMaz
    I just need them so that I can keep moving, won't be a long term thing. They tend to space me out a bit.
  • dreamdaisy
    I have the 30/500 cocos and find them OK - isn't it odd how we all vary so much? It's the 50mg trammies that send me into the land of nod but the slow-release ones are OK. Make sure you get as much rest as you can, that's important when flaring. DD
  • AndyMaz
    The Dr said if 2 x 8/500's don't work then to let her know and she'll prescribe the 30/500's.

Would rather keep the dose low really. I took two just over an hour ago and they seem to dull the pain slightly.
  • dreamdaisy
    That's all they do, alas, they dull the sharper edges rather than removing it altogether. There is an in-between strength of either 14 or 16/500 (I can't remember which, sorry. :oops ) which might be a better next step. Taking them regularly may also help as they 'build' into your system. I do two in the morning and two at bed-time, that leaves me room for any top-ups in between. DD
  • AndyMaz
    I need to feel some pain so that I know not to over do it. Yet, I also need to be able to stand, sit and lie down without crying like a baby! :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    Rest assured you will still feel the pain, just a little less is all. One key strategy I employ is to stop an activity when I think I can do more. DD
  • AndyMaz
    Yes, that's exactly what I have done. Although, even relaxing gets uncomfortable!
  • dreamdaisy
    Yup, so true. My sacro iliacs let me know they're there whether I'm vertical, horizontal or seated. Isn't life fun? :wink: DD
  • AndyMaz
    It's bonkers, sometimes!