Just joined

Penny49
Penny49 Member Posts: 26
edited 13. Aug 2013, 08:57 in Say Hello Archive
Hi everyone, my name is Penny and I am awaiting my first appointment with the Rheumy consultant on Thursday. I had my first RA flare (so the doctor has diagnosed) in June, he also suspects that I have PMR. I am eager to get this problem diagnosed and under control, can anyone give me some hints and tips on what to expect on my first visit at the hospital?

I suspect it will take weeks before I get some answers, I am hoping that they will at least be able to prescribe something for me in the meantime.

I look forward to chatting with you.

Penny

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Penny and welcome to the forum. I can't really advise on 'first appointments' as mine was 50 some years ago :lol: (I have RA) From what I've read on here I think the likelihood is a steroid jab in the bottom to help until the meds (probably methotrexate) work. Meth has been good for me for over 10 years.

It might be worth keeping a Pain Diary from now until your appt. and also to take photos of any swellings, as joints rarely swell when you want them to for rheumatologists :roll:

I wish you good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Penny49
    Hello Stickywicket

Thank you for your welcome message. Wow, you have been suffering a long time, I do hope that you are not suffering now that you are on medication. When my flare started I was very bad and after a week or so my Dr prescribed me Prednisolone which worked well, then it was reduced and I came off it, but my aches/pains returned so was put back on it at a much lower dose for 2 weeks. I have now been off them for 4 days but it feels like its coming back again, at least the hospital will get a better picture with me like this.

I read somewhere about keeping a diary so I have been doing that since it all started as I knew I would not remember things, so I am a bit prepared :wink:

Many thanks for replying.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Penny and a warm welcome from me
    I have OA so wont be much help, but I am a good listener has many on here are...so you now have us to talk to...has well has getting lots of information.
    I do hope to see you posting more very soon x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help with information and support. It's been a while since my first appointment with rheumatology btu I do remember the outcome - 'You're not our problem, I'm referring you back to orthopaedics.' A year later I was back in his office - twerp. :lol:

My first medicine was sulphasalazine, I began that in early 2002, over the years other meds have come and gone but that one is still with me. It's good that you are keeping notes, that will help the rheumatologist get a better over-all picture of you. I look forward to seeing your name here and there around the forum and I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I see you're ahead of the game with the diary :) Good for you!

Pred is something that many of us have a love/hate relationship with. It really does appear to work miracles but it cures nothing and, long term, it brings its own problems so it's best kept for emergencies.

You know, I've always resisted saying I 'suffer from' arthritis. I tell people I 'have' it. There are times when one certainly does suffer with it :roll: but it's not all passive acceptance and, besides, it's taught me a lot of valuable stuff so it's not all bad - mind you, given the chance, I'd ditch it straightaway :lol:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Penny49
    Hi, Barbara12 and dreamdaisy, I thank you for your warm welcome, and your information and support.

I haven't worked out the correct way to reply to each of you individually yet, so I appologise for grouping you all in one message :? Perhaps I just do several replies do I?

Stickywicket - your right about Pred steroids, they were a quick fix and I was grateful for them at the time, but I don't want to be taking them on a permanent basis.

I thank you all for taking the time to reply, I will update you after my Rheumatology appointment on Thursday.

Thanks and Best wishes to you all x