Enbrel

Options
Bethliz
Bethliz Member Posts: 44
edited 8. Sep 2013, 09:32 in My child has arthritis
Hi

Can anyone share their experiences of Enbrel? My daughter is going to start weekly injections on this drug in about 6 weeks time.

Bethliz

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello again, BethLiz. I've no experience of it myself but I know a few adults on here have mentioned it. I know children and adults are 'different' but it might be worth posting also on LWA as they are more likely to see it there and respond. I do hope enbrel will help.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Bethliz
    Bethliz Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Thank you Stickywicket

As hard as I tried I just couldn't get my head round methotrexate, Sarah's twin sister has significant developmental delays and needs a lot of extra help and support. I go back to work full time on Monday after a year working part time so will only have quality time with the girls at weekends and holidays. I just couldn't see how I was going to be able to continue to give her that extra support while looking after sarah at the same time who was going to be potentially very poorly on methotrexate. I believe the side effects of Enbrel are slightly less so hopefully things will be ok.

Bethliz
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Goodness me, Bethliz, you have a lot on your plate! I'm constantly amazed and humbled by the fortitude of you parents. I hope enbrel really does the trick for Sarah and makes your own life a bit easier so that you can enjoy both of them more. ((()))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I could understand your fears about the methotrexate but all of these drugs carry their own risks. I am on my third anti TNF, I have taken enbrel but it and me didn't get on. I hope it helps your girl at not too much cost to her, I really do. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lizajane10
    lizajane10 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    My son has been taking Enbrel for a couple of months and I really think it is working well in that he has been able to reduce his dose of steroids significantly with no flare-ups. He still takes methotrexate as well though so that is 3 injections per week. He is 15 nearly 16 with systemic onset JIA. There seem to be no side effects except that the injection itself is sometimes quite painful. He did get a minor skin infection which needed antibiotics - that may have been down to the various drugs but who knows. The main problem has been keeping it in the fridge especially during a summer camping trip - we were supplied with a mini fridge for the spare room as part of the prescription.