how do i get my GP to listen?

lelesmummy
lelesmummy Member Posts: 14
hi, i new here and after some advice as the title says. i posted my hello on the introductions thread which explains a bit about me and my condition.
http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=39637
i am struggling to get my gp to listen to any of my symptoms at all. how is the best way to get some help please? as i said in my first post my family all suffer with PR so i know without any doubt this is what i have but my GP just will not listen. i havent even managed to get a referal as my bloods come back clear (as expected with PR)
any advise would be very greatfully recieved. xx

Comments

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi, I don't have inflammatory arthritis, but can sympathise with your frustration. I wondered if it would help if you printed off the information about PR which is on this site, and take it to your GP. Make sure he sees it is from a reputable site. Put it under his/her nose and sit there until he/she reads it and discusses it with you. If I were you, I would highlight parts which relate to your own experience and discuss these with him/her. It does say to press for a diagnosis or a referral to a rheumatologist and also mentions that it can be 'partly inherited through genes'.

I would also make a written list of your own symptoms and point out how they match up with PR. I've done something similar in the past - with a different illness - and it worked well.

Good luck. I hope you get somewhere. Do let us know how you get on.

PS - I'm just an ordinary member, not one of the Helpline Team.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lelesmummy

Thank you for your posting and a warm welcome to the forum from the Helplines team. I don’t know if there is much I can add to the posting from Megrose489 in terms of speaking to your GP about your symptoms in order to receive an accurate diagnosis. We have a factsheet on Palindromic rheumatism that you can access on the link http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Factsheets/main_content/PalindromicfactsheetJune11.pdf
    Writing down your symptoms is a way for your doctor to look at these and decide where to go to make a diagnosis. If you would like to talk about your concerns then you are welcome to call us here on the freephone confidential helpline (10am – 4pm weekdays) on 0808 800 4050. I hope this information is helpful.

Best Wishes
    Dawn