Am I too old?

DannyGirl
DannyGirl Member Posts: 7
edited 16. Sep 2013, 15:16 in Young people's community
Hello everyone,

I'm 26, so technically I'm a bit old to be posting in here, but I don't feel comfortable talking to anyone else... I've only just been diagnosed thanks to a doctor not believing I was in pain for years, but have has symptoms since a young teenager. I do have osteo rather than juvenile arthritis, but I dread the other forums not having anyone around my own age.

This is going to sound so stupid coming from someone my age, but I'm so scared and confused I kinda feel like a child again. I have so many questions and emotions surrounding most areas of my life now, and no one to ask or to talk to who will truly understand. Or maybe I'm just a wimp in not knowing/being able to deal with this? I don't know what's supposed to be 'normal'.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but I really feel more comfortable with you guys than with the older adult, at least for now.

Hoping you're all on a good day today!
Danny Girl xx

Comments

• maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Danny,
    I'm old 50! Can't believe in 50 seems 2 mins since I was your age
    I feel you can post where you like on here so long as you feel comfortable doing it
    There are younger ones than you on the other forums so no age restrictions
    I have a daughter 19 with a long term condition so can restate to how you feel,when she's bad I'm mummy again and all she wants is hugs and reassurance and I feel we are all the same when we are bad we need that comfort of our mums from our childhood
    If it helps you can PM me if you don't want to post on the other forums
    My experience of any of the forums is support,compassion and empathy
    Post on any forum you are comfortable with
    Have you thought of contacting the helpline service on here?
    Best wishes
    Maria :)
  • DannyGirl
    Was looking through the website last night, back went into spasm at 2am so been up most of the night, but there's so much information I can't say I've wrapped my head round it yet. What is the helpline for? Emotional support? Lifestyle suggestions? Answer questions about the condition?

I did phone the main office this morning though and got the contact details of the gentleman who runs the Arthritis Care group in my local area. Will try and get hold of him today.

I was watching a short documentary on arthritis in young people last night, and they seem so happy and leading 'normal' lives... how do you get there? Currently I feel like my life has been stolen and it's not fair.
  • maria09
    Hi Danny
    The helpline is there for anything I think I've only rung them once for some advice and found them very helpful.
    I understand how you feel it is not fair you shouldn't have to go through all this pain and it ruling your life my daughters the same with her condition all I want is to take it from her so I have her pain and she can live pain free
    Don't forget there are about 200 types of arthritis affecting people in many different ways we are all individuals so it affects us all differently
    Maybe that's why some seem to live a happy life
    The condition varies through out the day good and bad I have two types Osteo and inflammatory arthritis and at the min is not controlled its trial and error getting it right and I do get frustrated so for you it must drive you nuts!
    Just remember this site is here for you always good or bad day we will share each moment with you try posting with us oldies one day if it doesn't feel right just post where you are happy
    PM me if you like so if you want to rant and rave in private you can
  • DannyGirl
    Thank you, Maria! *hugs*
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    Hello Danny girl
    I'm 23 and have psoriasis arthritis.I do believe that a happy life is possible with arthritis but in the beginning it is very depressing and it is normal to be scared.The key is good pain killers/treatment/exercise and healthy diet.Also staying on top of depression and not letting it take hold if possible
    Kat
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • DannyGirl
    Hey Kittkat,

Thank you, not easy when I already have depression, but I'm doing my best! I'm on tramadol and diazipam and attend physio. She's stopped me dancing for now, but I'm working to get back to it. I used to do tai chi so I'm trying to remember what I can of that for now. Are there any foods we're meant to be avoiding or making sure we get loads of?

One thing I'm really struggling with is various aids that would make life easier, but also make it problem more obvious. And I don't want to become reliant on them as I want to do as much as I can myself. I gave in and jst bought a massage chair for my back, but I've justified it by thinking of it as an essential for everyone! I don't want to think of myself as different or portray that to people, but little thing to make life a bit easier wouldn't be altogether unappreciated... what are everyone's views on these things? And if anyone has any, what kinda reactions do you get?

I really do appreciate you guys, it's nice to be able to ask questions to someone xxx
  • maria09
    Hi Danny
    I think depression goes hand in hand with our conditions its just a matter of trying to keep our heads above water I was on antidepressant for last 4 yrs due to my health and work issues, my healths the same if not worse but I don't have the work stress any more thank goodness
    I could tell you some tales about my uncaring boss but nows not the time
    Only aids I've used are chunky grip pen which is great for my nobbly fingers everyone at work wanted one as we wrote a lot also a pill popper for dispensing medications most of my patients wanted one as its great for those damn foil tablets so nothing earth shattering or strange looking
    At present I'm using one crutch due to my foot op and don't get any strange looks did borrow my mums spare wheelchair last month when in Trafford centre no one bothered then either
    I think sometimes its more in our minds as we don't want to be seen as having problems especially when young
    Have you seen your GP about your depression? My daughter has finally plucked up the courage to go and ask for help ,her GP was lovely with her,her words as I didn't go in with her this time. She's now started a course of antidepressants and is seeing her GP tomorrow
    Hope you start to feel some improvement soon
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    I don't like aids as I find they make things worse for me as I find them irritating plus the occupational therapist said to me I don't need them just need to adapt how I do things at the moment. BUT they are helpful for some and I wouldn't worry what people think .Anything you can use that makes you feel better is worth it.
    Also I was very very depressed for 3 years at the start of it couldn't even think straight I feel a lot better now it's lifted a lot. So you got to remember some of the negative thoughts you get about the condition are caused by the depression aswell.
    Food wise I would recommend a healthy diet of fish, veg, lean meat etc.You might notice some things make your arthritis worse aswell. I find I feel much better if I eat better I have so much more energy. Fish oil supplement is also good for most forms of arthritis. Also making juice smoothies give me energy to.
    xx
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • DannyGirl
    I've been diagnosed with depression for years, but since the arthritis diagnosis it's plummeted to a low. Doesn't help that the doc I usually go to for it has recently passed and the one I'm with now I don't exactly like/trust enough to discuss that side of things. I'm back with the one that refused to test me for arthritis years ago when I asked for an x-ray, not believing that I was in genuine pain. It took a locum to get me a referral.

I guess a lot of it could be in my mind, the worrying about what other people might think. Luckily I don't need any obvious aids yet and hope not to for a healthy number of years. My main problem is bending down to pick things up, get laundry out of the washing machine, feed the cat etc which I have relented and got a litter picker to help with picking things up, but there's no real way around it.

Kittkat, that's what my physio says, I have to relearn how to do things again starting right at the basics of sitting and lying down. Do you get frustrated with it too? Kinda feels like being a child and starting all over again having failed the first time round. Thank you for the dietary tips! I love smoothies so will happily make more of them, and will invest in some fish oil suppliments as I don't eat fish at all.

Thank you both for your comments! xxx
  • DannyGirl
    Awww, sorry to hear that, Aulit! Hopefully you'll get one soon so you can start dealing with it. Wishing you all the best, hun xx