Where has the pain gone and will it be back?

safariaddict
safariaddict Member Posts: 11
I was recently diagnosed with spinal arthritis affecting my lower spine. I have been in tremendous pain, unable to get out of bed some mornings. I was prescribed Tramadol/Paracetamol and took 6 a day which had little effect. However over the last three weeks for no reason the severe pain has gone and I have been able to walk and work a little in my garden. I this likely to remain like this or will the awful searing pain in my buttocks and upper legs return? I ask because I have a holiday in Africa coming up in November and I hope it will be pain free. I am now taking only 2 tablets a day. Thank you for any advice you can give.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear safariaddict,

I'm glad to hear that things are better at the moment. There are no guarantees with arthritis, as people often say - you can have good days and bad.

Things that can improve your chances of having more good days are doing the daily exercises recommened by your physiotherapist, avoiding activities that are risky - e.g. lifting things with bad posture, or if the weight is too great. Eating heathily to keep your weight as near your ideal as possible. Pacing yourself and prioritising daily tasks - and avoiding overdoing things on good days.

If you would like more detail about this, you can see our booklets on the publications pages of our website and talk things over with a physiotherapist or your doctor.

I hope that is helpful

Guy
  • safariaddict
    safariaddict Member Posts: 11
    Thank you Guy. My rheumatologist told me that Physio would be a waste of time and money although a Kine we know said he thought it would be useful. Consequently I have been given no exercises and to be honest when the pain was at its worst I could hardly stand, let alone do any exercises !
  • Kittkat
    Kittkat Member Posts: 309
    When my arthritis started I got spinal pain that lasted a while then it went away for years was a big relief when it went so maybe for you it is just an episode or something. Hope it stays away for ages for you.
    How am I gonna be an optimist about this?
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    My understanding is that a kine is what the French call a physiotherapist. Doing gentle stretches and strengthening exercises for osteoarthritis is strongly recommended by our medical advisors. If you know a nice kine - you can ask them a bit more perhaps?

You can download our booklet on exercise from here:
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets

A good book on back problems (see online book sellers) is Dr John Tanner
    ''Better Back''.

Strengthening the core muscles in your back is one way to self manage arthritis.

I hope that's helpful

Guy